Skipping to second year at uni

Watch this thread
spfl
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, this question is mainly directed to Scottish students although will apply to some other students.

I am going to study chemical engineering and wondering if it would be worth it to skip to second year at university. I've already done advanced highers and from what people I spoke to said at the applicant day they are very similar to the first year courses.

Wondering if anyone else has skipped their first year and could share their experience.
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I would bring this up with the uni itself, although I doubt they will let you do this.

If you want to do the course, your first year tends to be the basics and the second year tends to expand on said basics.

I do Biomedical Science and my First Year was incredibly similar to A Levels. Some was completely new though.
We had a second year lecture (by accident) and it did expand on the first year stuff (bone structure, fractures and healing) and so I can see how important the first year is to your degree.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spfl)
Hi, this question is mainly directed to Scottish students although will apply to some other students.

I am going to study chemical engineering and wondering if it would be worth it to skip to second year at university. I've already done advanced highers and from what people I spoke to said at the applicant day they are very similar to the first year courses.

Wondering if anyone else has skipped their first year and could share their experience.
You can certainly do it, but it'll be more difficult going straight into second year and although 1st year is quite similar to advanced higher, there will still be lots of stuff covered in engineering that won't be covered in advanced highers (and vice versa).
spfl
Rep:
(Original post by Scienceisgood)
I would bring this up with the uni itself, although I doubt they will let you do this.

If you want to do the course, your first year tends to be the basics and the second year tends to expand on said basics.

I do Biomedical Science and my First Year was incredibly similar to A Levels. Some was completely new though.
We had a second year lecture (by accident) and it did expand on the first year stuff (bone structure, fractures and healing) and so I can see how important the first year is to your degree.
Already spoken to the university and some of the students. The uni says you can do it with suitable advanced higher grades and a fair amount of people do opt to do this. From what I've been told in the first year the maths and chemistry classes are identical to advanced highers, although there is some other things that I will have to learn myself obviously.

I should probably note that in Scotland we tend to have an extra year at university as we leave high school first. This year is essentially A-levels which are the equivalent of advanced highers. Most people in Scotland enter uni with only highers as that's what most courses look for. The first year in English universities is essentially the equivalent to the second in Scottish so It's not really the same as if someone we're to skip to second year in England.

Kind of wondering how much I would actually need to know from the first year course to pass the second year. Like is it just the comparison from 2 levels of a subject in high school (ie. Higher to advanced higher or GCSE to AS level).
spfl
Rep:
(Original post by Smack)
You can certainly do it, but it'll be more difficult going straight into second year and although 1st year is quite similar to advanced higher, there will still be lots of stuff covered in engineering that won't be covered in advanced highers (and vice versa).
Yeah I'm prepared for it being more difficult. The uni I'm going to actually writes the advanced higher course notes that I read so when I say the maths and chemistry course is similar I actually mean identical. I don't really want to go into first year and it be extremely boring because I've already learned everything in the maths and chemistry classes. Obviously there will be some things I haven't learned but I'd end up getting really lazy and not going to some classes and that's just a really poor attitude that I don't want to transfer with me to my next year.

How much do you reckon I'd miss skipping to second year?
tibblytobblyyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by spfl)
Yeah I'm prepared for it being more difficult. The uni I'm going to actually writes the advanced higher course notes that I read so when I say the maths and chemistry course is similar I actually mean identical. I don't really want to go into first year and it be extremely boring because I've already learned everything in the maths and chemistry classes. Obviously there will be some things I haven't learned but I'd end up getting really lazy and not going to some classes and that's just a really poor attitude that I don't want to transfer with me to my next year.

How much do you reckon I'd miss skipping to second year?
What did you end up doing? and congratulations on graduating.
Last edited by tibblytobblyyy; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (149)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (65)
18.26%
No (142)
39.89%

Watched Threads