The Student Room Group

American Wanting to Study in the UK

Hey guys! Sorry if I didn't post this in the correct forum, but any help/input/advice/etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I'm an American and I received my bachelor's degree in English last year.

It's always been a dream of mine to visit the UK, particularly England, and over the past month I've come to the realization that I would love to have the opportunity to study abroad and try for a master's degree in journalism.

While I'm in the preliminary stages of researching different programs and learning about the geography of the UK, I wanted to ask if you guys had any advice regarding particular programs that I should look at...while my preference would be to study in London or a larger city, I wouldn't really be opposed to anything.

I've become really intrigued with Cardiff University, and although not in England, it seems as if they have a good journalism program.

Also, regarding living accommodation, how does that usually work for a postgraduate student? I would probably be around 25 at that point in my life...so would it make more sense to deal with housing myself?

Ideally, I would want to start in a year or two, that way it can give me time to get a bit more job experience and do much more research on the UK.

Thanks so much guys!
Go with the course that interests you the most unless there's a specific reason for being in a particular place (e.g research or an internship).

As far as accommodation is concerned, some unis have postgrad only accommodation, some allow postgrads in with undergrads. I think most postgrads choose to live in private accommodation i.e rent a flat by themselves or join a flat share. Your uni should be able to advise you about options and help with any problems.
Reply 2
It is a good idea to plan ahead. Working a few yrs is conducive to your application profile and professional development. MSc Journalism programmes at Cardiff, City Uni London and Sheffield are highly regarded by media employers. It is hands on and covers major areas of print, broadcast and new media. Cardiff is a good programme in a proper city with lower living costs than London.

Most postgrad prefer private flatshare with other PGs, few unis reserve postgrad dorms.
Reply 3
Original post by Tcannon
It is a good idea to plan ahead. Working a few yrs is conducive to your application profile and professional development. MSc Journalism programmes at Cardiff, City Uni London and Sheffield are highly regarded by media employers. It is hands on and covers major areas of print, broadcast and new media. Cardiff is a good programme in a proper city with lower living costs than London.

Most postgrad prefer private flatshare with other PGs, few unis reserve postgrad dorms.

Thanks for shouting out Sheffield! I've started looking into it and it looks really interesting! I would want to go into broadcast journalism, especially because of my background and the work and study experience I have in that field.

I ultimately want to work in sports journalism and focus on basketball. While I know it isn't the most popular sport there, I know that there is a professional league and that Sheffield has their own team. I think it would be a great opportunity if I could work for the organization or a publication that would allow me to cover the team.

Do you guys think this would be a pretty solid idea? The broadcast journalism programme (should get used to spelling it this way) runs for a year. My dream would be to study at Oxford. There aren't any journalism programmes, however, the university states: "Students interested in Media might also like to consider English Language and Literature."While I know how difficult it is to get into this university, would spending a year or two obtaining my master's in journalism strengthen my application for admittance into Oxford?

*Random question* Are postgraduate students allowed to play for their university's sports teams? If I wanted to tryout for Sheffield's basketball team, would I be able to?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Reply 4
This is an interesting coincidence of Sheffield and your interests in sports journalism. I know that a few years ago Sheffield had a hiring drive for lecturers in sports journalism. Background in print and broadcast as sport editor are considered for lecturer positions. I am pretty sure that Sheffield covers sports journalism as concentration. I don't know much about basketball league in England. I think there are better leagues in Europe (Spain, Germany and Italy), some of their players make it even to NBA or NBA rejects make a prof living in Europe. I think NBA Europe hosts some NBA teams in London once a year.

With regard to Tuition costs for home students: City > Cardiff > Sheffield. These are practical programmes that teach tradescraft whereas media and communication courses are theoretical. I think J-School adcoms would like to see some work in your application portfolio such as written pieces in print or social media campaign. Most UK students cut their teeth at student newspaper or internships with media orgs. A friend wrote about art exhibition and football pieces for his student paper at uni. I am pretty sure that I have seen some UK basketball sports magazines in the supermarkets.

Postgraduate students are allowed to play for their university's sports teams, you can try out. I know some UK, US and European master's students who are varsity (crew, basketball, football and swimming). Prior to grad school, a US guy even competed NCAA at his US school. Level varies, some did only intramural as undergrad, others were even olympians.

In the UK, ancient unis such as Oxbridge don't offer journalism courses. they are considered as too pop and non academic. So interestingly strong Journalism programmes are found at newer unis such as City, Sheff and Cardiff. A bit like the US, strongest J-Schools are Columbia, Northwestern, USC, UPenn but also Missouri and Berkeley.

Good luck.

Original post by emibuen
Thanks for shouting out Sheffield! I've started looking into it and it looks really interesting! I would want to go into broadcast journalism, especially because of my background and the work and study experience I have in that field.

I ultimately want to work in sports journalism and focus on basketball. While I know it isn't the most popular sport there, I know that there is a professional league and that Sheffield has their own team. I think it would be a great opportunity if I could work for the organization or a publication that would allow me to cover the team.

Do you guys think this would be a pretty solid idea? The broadcast journalism programme (should get used to spelling it this way) runs for a year. My dream would be to study at Oxford. There aren't any journalism programmes, however, the university states: "Students interested in Media might also like to consider English Language and Literature."While I know how difficult it is to get into this university, would spending a year or two obtaining my master's in journalism strengthen my application for admittance into Oxford?

*Random question* Are postgraduate students allowed to play for their university's sports teams? If I wanted to tryout for Sheffield's basketball team, would I be able to?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending