Best Northern city to live in?

Watch
Proudhipster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Especially between Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bolton, Barnsley, Nelson, Colne, Burnley, Bradford, Buxton, Crewe, Warrington, Widnes, Wigan, Leeds, Northwich, Nantwich, Knutsford, Hull, Sale, Salford, Southport, Leigh, Derby, Kearsley, Keighley, Maghull, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Oldham, Lancs, Grimsby, Glossop, Hebden Bridge.
Brighouse, Bootle, Featherstone, Speke, Runcorn, Rotherham, Rochdale, Barrow, Morecambe, Macclesfield, Lytham St. Annes, Clitheroe, Cleethorpes, the M62.
Pendlebury, Prestwich, Preston, York, Skipton, Scunthorpe, Scarborough-on-Sea, Chester, Chorley, Cheadle Hulme, Ormskirk, Accrington, Stanley, and Leigh, Ossett, Otley, Ilkley Moor, Sheffield, Manchester, Castleford, Skem, Doncaster, Dewsbury, Halifax, Bingley, Bramhall.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They're all pretty cool
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Bolton, Barnsley, Nelson, Colne, Burnley, Bradford, Buxton, Crewe, Warrington, Widnes, Wigan, Leeds, Northwich, Nantwich, Knutsford, Hull, Sale, Salford, Southport, Leigh, Derby, Kearsley, Keighley, Maghull, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Oldham, Lancs, Grimsby, Glossop, Hebden Bridge.
Brighouse, Bootle, Featherstone, Speke, Runcorn, Rotherham, Rochdale, Barrow, Morecambe, Macclesfield, Lytham St. Annes, Clitheroe, Cleethorpes, the M62.
Pendlebury, Prestwich, Preston, York, Skipton, Scunthorpe, Scarborough-on-Sea, Chester, Chorley, Cheadle Hulme, Ormskirk, Accrington, Stanley, and Leigh, Ossett, Otley, Ilkley Moor, Sheffield, Manchester, Castleford, Skem, Doncaster, Dewsbury, Halifax, Bingley, Bramhall.
u avin a giggle m8?

(Original post by cole-slaw)
They're all pretty cool
Are you from there?

I've been offered a temp job for a year in a national company based around the North, basically I can choose between working in a few cities there. I'm from Bristol though so got no idea where to live.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Proudhipster)
u avin a giggle m8?

Are you from there?

I've been offered a temp job for a year in a national company based around the North, basically I can choose between working in a few cities there. I'm from Bristol though so got no idea where to live.
Go and visit, and see for yourself. Different people will have different preferences.
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Go and visit, and see for yourself. Different people will have different preferences.
I've been to the three I listed but not really lived there, sadly don't know many people from there either. Liked all of them
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
bump
username996405
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
As a born and bred Boltonian, I'm gonna have to say that Bolton is an absolute cesspool. It's only good for having easy/accessible travel connections to Manchester/Preston and other towns/cities in their direction. :rofl:
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mochassassin)
As a born and bred Boltonian, I'm gonna have to say that Bolton is an absolute cesspool. It's only good for having easy/accessible travel connections to Manchester/Preston and other towns/cities in their direction. :rofl:
I think the fact Grimsby, the M62 and Hull were on there could've shown he wasn't serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
username996405
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Andy98)
I think the fact Grimsby, the M62 and Hull were on there could've shown he wasn't serious

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think he just used Google to find every single town/city and listed it...I had to correct him in case OP believed him and moved here or something. :lol:
Mochassassin: saving souls from bad town-hunting since 2015. :cool:
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
I think he just used Google to find every single town/city and listed it...I had to correct him in case OP believed him and moved here or something. :lol:
Knew he was joking but thanks anyway

Which places would you recommend? Toss up between Liverpool and Manc right now IMO. Maybe Newcastle but rent seems higher there
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Possibly, although I can't see Newcastle or any of those

Posted from TSR Mobile
username996405
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Which places would you recommend? Toss up between Liverpool and Manc right now IMO. Maybe Newcastle but rent seems higher there
I've only been to Liverpool and Newcastle once in my life so I can't vouch for either, unfortunately.
I'd say stick with Manchester.
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
I've only been to Liverpool and Newcastle once in my life so I can't vouch for either, unfortunately.
I'd say stick with Manchester.
thanks
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Well there is a rather important question: do you support Manchester United? If so you would be breaking the unwritten law of football by moving to Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andy98)
Well there is a rather important question: do you support Manchester United? If so you would be breaking the unwritten law of football by moving to Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile
No

what is this law?
vimto39
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't go wrong with Manchester or Liverpool. Both have different feels, but equally awesome.

Manchester perhaps has a bit more of a vintage/indie vibe, with its northern quarter. Liverpool is a little more mainstream. Both have incredible heritage. Both have music scenes for all tastes. Manchester has the Warehouse Projects, Liverpool has some decent bar areas. Both have sports teams that are top-tier.

You mention Newcastle. Again, it's a really cool place. I'd say that Manchester and Liverpool are better connected. You can literally get to London by train in 2 hours. There is perhaps better opportunity employment wise in Manchester and Liverpool too.

As I say, you can't go wrong with either. Just visit both and pick the one you prefer.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No

what is this law?
It's a long running joke that everyone in Manchester supports City, and everyone else supports United

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proudhipster
Rep:
?
(Original post by vimto39)
Can't go wrong with Manchester or Liverpool. Both have different feels, but equally awesome.

Manchester perhaps has a bit more of a vintage/indie vibe, with its northern quarter. Liverpool is a little more mainstream. Both have incredible heritage. Both have music scenes for all tastes. Manchester has the Warehouse Projects, Liverpool has some decent bar areas. Both have sports teams that are top-tier.

You mention Newcastle. Again, it's a really cool place. I'd say that Manchester and Liverpool are better connected. You can literally get to London by train in 2 hours. There is perhaps better opportunity employment wise in Manchester and Liverpool too.

As I say, you can't go wrong with either. Just visit both and pick the one you prefer.
Thanks I thought Manchester was the more mainstream one and Liverpool a bit more "old fashioned"?

I'm temping for a year but might stay for longer; why is there possibly more employment in Manchester or Liverpool?

Visited all three a while back. It's pricey to go again though
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Carlisle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed