The Student Room Group

Am I too turned off by vanity in guys?

A lot of guys (girls too but I'm not lesbian haha) are really vain these days. I go to the gym and take care of my appearance but a lot of them are vainer than me. I like to save too and am shocked by guys who do things like spend £30 on a T shirt, even if they earn a lot.

I couldn't stand dating a guy who was always trying to show off designer labels or spent a lot of money in them or was always peacocking in the mirror doing his hair and stuff. I also hate it when guys take loads of selfies pulling "hot" or goofy faces all the time, or describe themselves as "dapper" and "classy" because they wear fedoras or something. I'm not "low maintenance" but I don't like to waste money, take lots of selfies myself or wear make up so maybe that's why.

Am I too fussy though? Haha.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't bother much with my appearance so wouldn't know but it isn't very masculine to be so concerned with your appearance so I think you're relatively normal a lot of girls prefer more rugged guys.
Original post by karl pilkington
I don't bother much with my appearance so wouldn't know but it isn't very masculine to be so concerned with your appearance so I think you're relatively normal a lot of girls prefer more rugged guys.

Yeah, I don't necessarily need a guy to be rugged looking and beefy either, but just any guy being so into his appearance and describing himself as "well dressed" or something is a big turn off.

Maybe it's just because I mostly know middle class guys but most of the ones I know are like that. :s-smilie:
Ah those types are so off-putting, and I know plenty. Yeah, I prefer a guy who's a little more chilled out about all of that.
Completely normal that you want to be the woman rather than have a woman.
Original post by SarahLund
Ah those types are so off-putting, and I know plenty. Yeah, I prefer a guy who's a little more chilled out about all of that.

I don't mean to be fussy yeah, some of them are nice people :yep: Just a turn off if he's vainer than I am.

IsraelforLife
Completely normal that you want to be the woman rather than have a woman.

I'm not ridiculously into my appearance either (I don't wear makeup or buy designer brands though I can afford them, though I do dress well apparently), maybe that's why.

A lot of guys I know are like that. I actually find slightly hipster/geeky metrosexual looking guys physically attractive, but the attitude is just a turn off.
Reply 6
I agree, it's a preference really. Some guys are so into looking like they're straight off Geordie shore.
A normal looking guy who's down to earth definitely wins

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by At.8
I agree, it's a preference really. Some guys are so into looking like they're straight off Geordie shore.
A normal looking guy who's down to earth definitely wins

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, the Geordie shore/TOWIE look is defo a turn off :nope:

Even a lot of the guys I know who look like this (this is normal right?) though are sooo into the brands they wear etc. It's off putting.

http://s9.favim.com/orig/131115/beanie-cute-cute-guy-cute-guys-Favim.com-1062246.jpg
Original post by Proudhipster
I don't mean to be fussy yeah, some of them are nice people :yep: Just a turn off if he's vainer than I am.

I get it, especially when you're not as high maintenance. I don't think it's being fussy at all, but that's because I feel the same :tongue: I suppose it would be worse if you actually expected a guy to have the designer labels, the perfectly styled hair and all that jazz
A lot of guys (girls too but I'm not lesbian haha) are really vain these days. I go to the gym and take care of my appearance but a lot of them are vainer than me. I like to save too and am shocked by guys who do things like spend £30 on a T shirt, even if they earn a lot.

I couldn't stand dating a guy who was always trying to show off designer labels or spent a lot of money in them or was always peacocking in the mirror doing his hair and stuff. I also hate it when guys take loads of selfies pulling "hot" or goofy faces all the time, or describe themselves as "dapper" and "classy" because they wear fedoras or something. I'm not "low maintenance" but I don't like to waste money, take lots of selfies myself or wear make up so maybe that's why.

Am I too fussy though? Haha.

What's wrong with spending £30 on T shirts some of us even spend more on them. I wouldn't call a guy vain who spent lots of money on clothes perhaps if they were all designer brands then yeah. As for the selfies you just admitted to taking them lots yourself so why would it be vain for a guy to do the same. Would you rather date someone who didn't care about their appearance and wasn't particular well groomed instead of someone who is? I don't recall fedoras being even worn by anyone under 30. No, you don't seem fussy perhaps a little insecure?
Reply 10
Haha, the Geordie shore/TOWIE look is defo a turn off :nope:

Even a lot of the guys I know who look like this (this is normal right?) though are sooo into the brands they wear etc. It's off putting.

http://s9.favim.com/orig/131115/beanie-cute-cute-guy-cute-guys-Favim.com-1062246.jpg

I knoww! If anyone looks like something off TOWIE that's a no no.

I don't mind if boys want to look nice but if you're going to brag or wear designer labels every single day, that's off putting. Things are more important than making sure every item of clothing you have is designer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree it's exhausting
Well I'm ugly and short which isn't great for a guy so I'm going to buy trendy clothes, go the gym, get a good haircut etc because something needs to overcome the other flaws
Original post by Black Cat
What's wrong with spending £30 on T shirts some of us even spend more on them. I wouldn't call a guy vain who spent lots of money on clothes perhaps if they were all designer brands then yeah. As for the selfies you just admitted to taking them lots yourself so why would it be vain for a guy to do the same. Would you rather date someone who didn't care about their appearance and wasn't particular well groomed instead of someone who is? I don't recall fedoras being even worn by anyone under 30. No, you don't seem fussy perhaps a little insecure?

I said the opposite :lol:

It just seems like a waste to me. I can afford to spend that money on clothes myself but I don't. Obviously £30 for a coat or something would be reasonable. Did you see the thread where someone found a £75 pretty much plain Burberry T shirt for just the logo? That's the kind of thing I mean.

How am I insecure lol. Fussy maybe

At.8
I knoww! If anyone looks like something off TOWIE that's a no no.

I don't mind if boys want to look nice but if you're going to brag or wear designer labels every single day, that's off putting. Things are more important than making sure every item of clothing you have is designer

Yeah, designer stuff doesn't always look best anyway, and isn't always necessarily the best quality. Sometimes you're just paying for the logo.

Bragging is unnecessary too, esp. when paired with multiple selfies
Original post by Brownclown
Well I'm ugly and short which isn't great for a guy so I'm going to buy trendy clothes, go the gym, get a good haircut etc because something needs to overcome the other flaws

Nothing wrong with going to the gym or dressing well ofc, I try to do those myself :P I mean stuff like wearing a lot of designer brands and bragging about them or taking 100 selfies

I don't care about fashion trends although they aren't hard to follow, IMO nothing wrong with following them though

Little Popcorns
I agree it's exhausting

Dunno if exhausting is the word I'd use but yeah
I am all for guys being into their looks, it doesn't turn me off at all. I put a lot of effort into how I look, so I'd expect a prospective suitor to do the same. After all, I wouldn't want to be with someone who looks bad. I do think it depends with the kind of guys you're attracted to. I prefer well dressed and groomed guys, whereas, my worst nightmare would be an overly rugged/masculine guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just a weird sexist trope of society tbh. Men are not expected to care about their appearance, and when they do it's 'gaaay', and if women don't care about their appearance it's unattractive. We all soak up that narrative and completely dismiss people who fall under those categories even if we find them attractive and we connect with them.

So you're not alone by any means OP.
I said the opposite :lol:

It just seems like a waste to me. I can afford to spend that money on clothes myself but I don't. Obviously £30 for a coat or something would be reasonable. Did you see the thread where someone found a £75 pretty much plain Burberry T shirt for just the logo? That's the kind of thing I mean.

How am I insecure lol. Fussy maybe

Yeah, designer stuff doesn't always look best anyway, and isn't always necessarily the best quality. Sometimes you're just paying for the logo.

Bragging is unnecessary too, esp. when paired with multiple selfies

"It just seems like a waste to me" Do you not realise how silly you're coming across with that statement of yours? Some people will spend lots on clothes whilst others on makeup like yourself? Is it rightful to judge someone on what they want to spend money on? No. Is there much difference between someone spending hundreds of pounds on clothes or makeup?

Bragging is unnecessary which I agree with but selfies are not. You can't put a guy down for taking selfies like cmon. Ok you may not be insecure but sure as hell are fussy.
This is one of my biggest complaints about modern men:indiff: I'm not even talking about the OTT Joey Essex types, but just anybody who takes selfies and poses and all that crap.
Original post by Black Cat
"It just seems like a waste to me" Do you not realise how silly you're coming across with that statement of yours? Some people will spend lots on clothes whilst others on makeup like yourself? Is it rightful to judge someone on what they want to spend money on? No. Is there much difference between someone spending hundreds of pounds on clothes or makeup?

Bragging is unnecessary which I agree with but selfies are not. You can't put a guy down for taking selfies like cmon. Ok you may not be insecure but sure as hell are fussy.

You are completely misreading my posts again. I clearly said in the OP I don't wear makeup. No offence but if you're going to not bother reading my posts please don't reply.

Context, I said "paired with" bragging. Obviously taking 5 selfies is not the end of the world, but if someone takes a load more of them topless or in loads of flashy labels (or in a bikini or something for girls) labelled #hench or #classyguy that's a turn off for some people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending