runny4
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://i-want-to-study-engineering.o...tational_pull/
Why is the effective mass of the ball at c less than at b?
lerjj
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by runny4)
http://i-want-to-study-engineering.o...tational_pull/
Why is the effective mass of the ball at c less than at b?
Firstly, although I think I know what you mean by 'effective mass', you should probably be thinking of fixed masses, and variable gravitational fields. Specifically, you know that with gravitaional field g:

F=mg
g=G\dfrac{M}{r^2}

So now the question becomes: where is the field, g, the greatest? Remember, g is a vector so you can have negative contributions as well as positive ones.
Guy123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The mass is greatest at B because at C, there is less planetary mass beneath the object so less mass means weaker gravity. Thus, the object is lighter underground. Anywhere above B and the gravitational pull also decreases as the object is moving further away from the gravitational field.
runny4
Rep:
?
(Original post by lerjj)
Firstly, although I think I know what you mean by 'effective mass', you should probably be thinking of fixed masses, and variable gravitational fields. Specifically, you know that with gravitaional field g:

F=mg
g=G\dfrac{M}{r^2}

So now the question becomes: where is the field, g, the greatest? Remember, g is a vector so you can have negative contributions as well as positive ones.
thanks
runny4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guy123)
The mass is greatest at B because at C, there is less planetary mass beneath the object so less mass means weaker gravity. Thus, the object is lighter underground. Anywhere above B and the gravitational pull also decreases as the object is moving further away from the gravitational field.
thanksImage
runny4
Rep:
?
so is the effective mass the weight
and is a's mass greater than b's?
Guy123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
so is the effective mass the weight
and is a's mass greater than b's?
Yes, the effective mass is basically the weight, the gravitational pull on an object.
No, b's mass is greatest because the surface is where the gravity is strongest. If you're further away, you're getting further from the centre of gravity, so the weight decreases.
runny4
Rep:
?
Yes, the effective mass is basically the weight, the gravitational pull on an object.
No, b's mass is greatest because the surface is where the gravity is strongest. If you're further away, you're getting further from the centre of gravity, so the weight decreases.
but wouldn't gravity be greater near the core so c's effective mass is greater than b's
Guy123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
but wouldn't gravity be greater near the core so c's effective mass is greater than b's
No it wouldn't, because as you already know, objects with greater mass have stronger gravity. However, if you go deep underground, there is much less mass between you and the centre of the earth so you are effectively reducing the earth's mass and its gravity.
runny4
Rep:
?
No it wouldn't, because as you already know, objects with greater mass have stronger gravity. However, if you go deep underground, there is much less mass between you and the centre of the earth so you are effectively reducing the earth's mass and its gravity.
thanks
Guy123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (303)
55.6%
I don't have everything I need (242)
44.4%

Watched Threads