The Student Room Group

Anyone taking the UKCATSEN or applying with learning disabilities?

First and foremost, I know that schools cannot discriminate admissions against learning disabilities.

However, I have read a few things and even heard from a few people that; if they feel they cannot reasonably accommodate you then they can reject your application!

Truth is I do have a learning disability of ADHD which i've have a diagnosis of since grade 10. I am being treated for it by a physician, and there's no issue with providing sufficient evidence. I guess i'm worried because medicine is quite rigorous with academics, and having a learning disability seems contradictory to what I want. I do have the required grades and have proved myself academically, I maybe not as strong as many of the academically gifted people applying, but what I lack in pure academics I make up for in experience, perseverance, intellect, and differing aspects of intelligence.

In many ways I believe that something that was once my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength. It means I may have to work harder than some to understand material, but that only makes me want this more.

How do I prove that having a learning disability wont hinder my ability to preform? Also, how do I go about talking to medical admissions teams about my disability?
What do I include? What do I leave out?

A little guidance would be much appreciated!
Stay cool-
Original post by elifast
First and foremost, I know that schools cannot discriminate admissions against learning disabilities.

However, I have read a few things and even heard from a few people that; if they feel they cannot reasonably accommodate you then they can reject your application!

Truth is I do have a learning disability of ADHD which i've have a diagnosis of since grade 10. I am being treated for it by a physician, and there's no issue with providing sufficient evidence. I guess i'm worried because medicine is quite rigorous with academics, and having a learning disability seems contradictory to what I want. I do have the required grades and have proved myself academically, I maybe not as strong as many of the academically gifted people applying, but what I lack in pure academics I make up for in experience, perseverance, intellect, and differing aspects of intelligence.

In many ways I believe that something that was once my greatest weakness is now my greatest strength. It means I may have to work harder than some to understand material, but that only makes me want this more.

How do I prove that having a learning disability wont hinder my ability to preform? Also, how do I go about talking to medical admissions teams about my disability?
What do I include? What do I leave out?

A little guidance would be much appreciated!
Stay cool-

Hey :smile:
I applied last year for 2015 entry and my application was the same as everyone elses. UKCATSEN wasn't even mentioned until about a week or two before I received my offer - they just wanted evidence :smile:

Good luck!
Hey OP!
I assume that by now you have came to a conclusion of a sort with regards to this matter; its been 3 years so I hope you have.
I, frankly, have found myself in the same position you were in 2015 and I was wondering what decision you made and whether it was the right one. I'm still debating whether I should take advantage of what I am entitled to but I fear it would compromise my chances at securing a place at a university...

Regards,
Strix
Original post by Silent0239
Hey OP!
I assume that by now you have came to a conclusion of a sort with regards to this matter; its been 3 years so I hope you have.
I, frankly, have found myself in the same position you were in 2015 and I was wondering what decision you made and whether it was the right one. I'm still debating whether I should take advantage of what I am entitled to but I fear it would compromise my chances at securing a place at a university...

Regards,
Strix

OP hasn't been online for almost three years you mug. Why would in compromise your chances? If you need it, surely it could only boost your chances.

Quick Reply

Latest