Low carb meal ideas Watch

theonly1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Seems it's clear that if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less carbs, for most people.

We're consuming a high amount of calories but we're burning less by the day as we become more lazy.

What meal ideas have you got for breakfast lunch and dinner?

I normally eat boiled eggs for breakfast (but it's getting boring).

I have lots of tuna and chicken to be eaten up, has anyone got some nice low sugar/carb recipes for these?
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Meat and veg and no potatoes.
theonly1
Rep:
?
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Meat and veg and no potatoes.
Hmm, could get boring. I'm trying low carb for three weeks and seeing how much I lose. Together with gym 5/6 times a week.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by theonly1)
Hmm, could get boring. I'm trying low carb for three weeks and seeing how much I lose. Together with gym 5/6 times a week.
How could it get boring? There are like 80,000 different possible combinations. Just use a little imagination.
teamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can use cauliflower to make all kinds of things. Rice, Pizza etc
Faith.A
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bulk up on cooked vegetables so instead of having pasta/spaghetti have courgette spiral noodles along side a tomato sauce and mince meat. A popular one is cauliflower "rice" (loads of recipes online) and I've seen recipes online for cauliflower bread but cauliflower has a distinct taste so that's up to you. Or in recipes that require flour use almond flour and or coconut flour i.e making pancakes or muffins etc. You could snack on scotch eggs. Have vegetable soups like homemade tomato soup or courgette and spinach soup and try and avoid starchy vegetables like butternut squash. Or even having beansprouts to substitute noodles for like a stir fry maybe? or burgers and cheese no bun?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems it's clear that if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less carbs, for most people.

We're consuming a high amount of calories but we're burning less by the day as we become more lazy.

I have lots of tuna and chicken to be eaten up, has anyone got some nice low sugar/carb recipes for these?
No you just have to eat less. Low carb is a gimmick.Unless you want to live off beans for the rest of your life this is stupid
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm on a low carb/ high protein diet due to dietary restrictions so I substitute white rice for brown rice, potatoes for sweet potatoes etc

Meals I have are things like homemade thai curry- with brown rice; honey, soy and ginger salmon fillets (can be done with tuna) with a variety of vegetables, lemon roast chicken and roast vegetables, steak+ sweet potato wedges.

I tend to add tuna or chicken to salads to bulk it out a bit more

You could make omlettes
JD1lla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For most normal people with normal hormone levels, weight loss is defined by calorie intake/expenditure.

If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

if you eat 6000 calories of entirely the healthiest vegetables you can think of, but only require 3000, you will gain fat. The content of your diet has little effect on weight loss. You could lose weight entirely by drinking coke and eating mcdonalds, as long as you burn more calories than you take in. Although this isn't a good idea.
theonly1
Rep:
?
(Original post by JD1lla)
For most normal people with normal hormone levels, weight loss is defined by calorie intake/expenditure.

If you burn more calories than you take in, you will lose weight.

if you eat 6000 calories of entirely the healthiest vegetables you can think of, but only require 3000, you will gain fat. The content of your diet has little effect on weight loss. You could lose weight entirely by drinking coke and eating mcdonalds, as long as you burn more calories than you take in. Although this isn't a good idea.
I agree, but I think for a lot of people, carbs simply don't feel you up and make you desire more carbs. When they're replaced by protein and veg, you feel fuller and thus eat less, maybe that's the benefit of eating fewer carbs? I calorie of protein or veg feels you up more than 1 calorie of spaghetti or bread.
Ineedadvise
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guys every single one of your trillion cells in your body runs of glucose which comes from carbs, so if your restricting your carb intake then you are going to be extreemly tired and Also constipated with all of that protein, low carb diets work short term but mess up your body whereas high carb diets work long term and make your body the optimum and best that it can be
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In fairness, you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over your intended calorie threshold. Eating cake won't do your insides wonders but if you hit your benchmark then you will lose weight.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Forget this type of thinking. Not eating entire food groups is stupid.

How much exercise do you do?
SCAR H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Forget this type of thinking. Not eating entire food groups is stupid.

How much exercise do you do?
The ketogenic diet works. Explain your reasoning.
cacra
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No carb diets are fads, they don't achieve anything.

If you want to lose weight, it is very simple. Expend more calories than you eat.

My Physics A Level will confirm this.
SCAR H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tom78)
In fairness, you can eat whatever you want as long as you don't go over your intended calorie threshold. Eating cake won't do your insides wonders but if you hit your benchmark then you will lose weight.
Can you future explain your nonsence comment. Ketogenic diet is a effective weight loss remedy.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SCAR H)
The ketogenic diet works. Explain your reasoning.
I'm not suggesting you won't lose weight (hence it will work), just that you don't need to.

Balance your meals much better (most people have too small a breakfast and too large a dinner) and eat fresh food and fruit to keep you full. In addition, work out for 4% of the day.
SCAR H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cacra)
No carb diets are fads, they don't achieve anything.

If you want to lose weight, it is very simple. Expend more calories than you eat.

My Physics A Level will confirm this.
It's not about Physics, if anything it's about the biology of your central nervous system. Are you dumb or uneducated.
SCAR H
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I'm not suggesting you won't lose weight (hence it will work), just that you don't need to.

Balance your meals much better (most people have too small a breakfast and too large a dinner) and eat fresh food and fruit to keep you full. In addition, work out for 4% of the day.
The idea of ketosis, is to use ketone body to burn as energy so you do not starve essentially. High glycemic food spikes insulin and eventually lead to gaining weight. Cake should be avoided at all times.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Low carb is bull****. Fair enough, keto diets have been proven to help shed weight very quickly, but if you're not doing that then don't even bother, just stick to a regular caloric deficit.

If you feel like carbs aren't filling you up and making you want to eat more, you're eating the wrong sort of carbs. Sugary carbs can indeed influence the release of hormones like ghrelin that can make you feel hungry, so if this is becoming a problem then lower your sugar intake. Otherwise, even the source of carbs doesn't have a dramatic direct effect on how much weight you lose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (505)
59.69%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.08%
No- I want it (241)
28.49%
No- I don't want it (57)
6.74%

Watched Threads