What if the government developed an implant that shocked you if you were violent?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This would be impossible to remove without killing yourself.

It would not shock on the basis of violent thoughts alone or anything in self-defence. It would be so advanced that it would only shock you if you attempted to lash out at someone with an aggressive intent. Exceptions would be made for police, armed forces, etc.

Thoughts?
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ironically, this could cause more violence in protest to the violation of people's rights to freedom over their own bodies than if they just decided to leave people alone in the first place.
Smilin’ Knight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd become a buddhist and be meditatingly calm all the time
AlmostNotable
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How do you charge it?
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No need. God already invented such a thing. It is called your conscience.
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The government should develop an implant that KILLS you when you type something racist/homophobic on TSR

:yy:
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
No need. God already invented such a thing. It is called your conscience.
Where was Dylann's?

#ImplantForDylann
william walker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
Where was Dylann's?

#ImplantForDylann
If you must know then it is up your armpit. :naughty::sadnod:
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Ironically, this could cause more violence in protest to the violation of people's rights to freedom over their own bodies than if they just decided to leave people alone in the first place.
Why should we have freedom of our own bodies if it relates to something that would benefit both us and the rest of society? If someone contracts a disease, they won't be 'free' to walk around; they will be put in isolation and treated.
Arkarian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Why should we have freedom of our own bodies if it relates to something that would benefit both us and the rest of society? If someone contracts a disease, they won't be 'free' to walk around; they will be put in isolation and treated.
What you also have to think about is how this would apply to little kids or other situations. Sure the "Lashing out" thing might work but there is no specific brain wave associated with things like that, you also have to take into account that people can harm others without even meaning to, I managed to break both of a guys collarbones while playing a game, does that mean I would be shocked? And again if I threw something and it hit someone when I didn't mean it would I get shocked?

If you said that I wouldn't in those situations then how can you tell if a person planned it or not without observing them constantly?
You would have to know the whole situation and everything they think, this would infringe on people's privacy and pose a massive security risk if someone was to hack whatever recorded everyones thoughts. It would also mean that copyright would be impossible because people could know exactly how it is done and company "Secrets" would be out in the open.

You also have to take into account that people don't always have aggressive intent when fighting people, like wrestling. Are you saying wrestlers are an exception or if anyone does martial arts?

People have been known to be emotionally cold when they kill their whole family and who don't even look back with remorse. That would mean that the implant wouldn't work on people with disrupted emotions.

Implanting something like that would take ages to work out where it would actually work. Where do you suggest it is implanted?
Let me give you a few hints about where you can't place an electrical generator on a person.

Anyone with a pacemaker.

Anyone with a physical 'disability' that causes them to stop breathing if electrocuted, and yes, it has been known to happen; when going for an EEG where they run electricity through your arm it can stop you breathing, I should know as I suffer from it and I stopped breathing at one point.

You can't place it near the heart, brain, lungs, liver, muscle clusters or near any of the main blood vessels as an electric shock can destroy or break those parts.
For reference.
Heart - Would stop.
Lungs - Would react by constricting.
Brain - Would be damaged, shut down or cause the person seizures.
Liver - Would disable its ability to filter blood because of interrupted communication with the brain.
Muscle clusters - Could cause permanent spasms
Blood vessels - Close tightly in reaction to electric shocks.

Other than that you would need to think about the cost, the sourcing of materials, the political factors. you can't expect the whole population to submit to this, if you force the police to do things they won't turn their own families into test subjects because they are still human.
The military might be a bit more happy to shoot innocent citizens but again would be unable to deal with their family and patriots would rebel against the dictatorship.

Are you saying EVERYONE will have them? This would include all politicians, if not them what about people running for a position or backing a party? Would you disable it for these 'lucky' few?

Who are you to decide what actions someone takes against a person are incorrect?
If at my work someone left the furnace on and caused it to really badly wound a person I probably would cuff them for putting a person's life at risk.
If I was operating heavy machinery and I got electrocuted it could cause the death of multiple people including myself.
What about people who work in labs where phones need to be turned off? Would you disable it then or force them to still abide by your rule making all their experiments invalid from then on.

Are you saying when someone died you are going to walk into their house and forcibly remove the implant from that person?
Are you saying little kids are going to be treated like dogs?

Answer all of these with logical sourced answers and not "Oh its the right thing to do" and "People will forgo their rights as humans to be ruled in a dictatorship who decides their actions"
Arkarian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But they aren't punished for it and they don't lose their rights as humans to do what they want.
Things like this would create a massive public fear and force the government into a military dictatorship if they wanted to keep people in check.
AverageExcellence
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah completely remove free will and make everyone slaves, haven't you watched clockwork orange?
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pfft Id be on the first plane east xD.
Arkarian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CAElite)
Pfft Id be on the first plane east xD.
Sounds about right...
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This would be impossible to remove without killing yourself.

It would not shock on the basis of violent thoughts alone or anything in self-defence. It would be so advanced that it would only shock you if you attempted to lash out at someone with an aggressive intent.
Aight, first point, where the hell are ya gonna be putting that thing? If I can't remove it without dying it must be near some important parts, so surely the shock would kill me?

Second point, what if I lash out at an object with aggressive intent? A punch bag for example. While I'm on this train of thought, the *** would happen to boxers? My cousin boxes professionally, I'd rather he'd not be shocked for doing his job, ya feel? He's got 4 or 5 kids to support fam, we cannae be having that bs.
Arkarian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Aight, first point, where the hell are ya gonna be putting that thing? If I can't remove it without dying it must be near some important parts, so surely the shock would kill me?

Second point, what if I lash out at an object with aggressive intent? A punch bag for example. While I'm on this train of thought, the *** would happen to boxers? My cousin boxes professionally, I'd rather he'd not be shocked for doing his job, ya feel? He's got 4 or 5 kids to support fam, we cannae be having that bs.
Yup.
And like I said, it won't work on people who don't feel guilt or people who believe they are doing the right thing. It also won't work on those who don't get bloodthirsty while fighting.

Just like lie detectors it won't work 100% of the time. Plus people (like myself) are known to stop breathing even from minor electric shocks even when having just an EEG.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So you wouldn't be able to practise martial arts?

How would you implement this into everybody?
Arkarian
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SirMasterKey)
So you wouldn't be able to practise martial arts?

How would you implement this into everybody?
And when does it stop applying?

Military?
Police?
Politics?
What happens if someone who is a cop does something wrong?
But again if you limit the cops they can't attack criminals who rob places because they make the first move.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.44%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed