How hard is art gcse? Watch

Annabel28301
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am just going into year 10 and I am passionate about art, I have chosen to take it for GCSE and I really want to get a high grade. I used to be really good at art but now I feel everyone is overtaking me, I am willing to put the effort in. I was just wondering is it possible if I put the time and effort in could I achieve an A*. Do you get to choose your own topic and how many hours outside of school do you have to spend time?
Saleha09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, I took art as a GCSE but I think it depends on what board your with. Ours seemed to care about quantity and quality equally so I had to dedicate alot of time. Our course was split into three parts: Groth, Urban landscapes and finally, a topic of your own choice. We were marked down if we didn't use a variety of mediums and had to show development throughout. The last one was obviously the most enjoyable to me as ikept my sketchbook black and white, narrowing down the amount of materials i had to use. I pretty much messed around for the first year but put in alot of time in the second and got an A. However, as i said earlier, it depends on what board your with
Sarah1999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I didn't do art at GCSE, so please don't take what I post too seriously as I could be wrong. So many of my classmates did it at GCSE, my tutor was head of art and my tutor room was in the art room so I like to think I have some knowledge of it.

It's great that you're passionate about it because as an outsider looking in it seemed like art required so much of your time and perseverance. Hopefully you won't struggle that much with it as having a passion means you're willing to put the time and effort in.

An A* in Art is quite hard to obtain I believe (but ovbiously totally doable - I don't know your ability or the amount of effort you would put in) as some of your final grade takes into account your coursework in year 10 (this may be different for you) and many students didn't realise this thus didn't put as much effort in and generally weren't as accomplished in it as they were at the end of year 11.

I believe you do get to choose your own topic for most tasks, and for the actual exam I think you choose one out of about five - I think two I can remember this year were food and fantastic and strange.

I'm not sure how many hours you have to spend outside of school doing art work, it will probably depend on how much you've done in class, if you have any homework, if there's a close approaching coursework deadline, how much effort you're willing to put in.

If you know the exam board and specification then have a read of it - it should explain a lot of you're questions. If not then ask your teacher.

Hope I helped in some way, enjoy it and good luck.
Pix2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did art and it is really hard to get an A* we had to focus on how much detail you put into the work. The more detail the more marks. However this takes up a lot of time. You need to focus on other subjects. Year ten I didn't get to pick my project but you do for your trial and real exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annabel28301
Rep:
?
Where you naturally talented?
Annabel28301
Rep:
?
Thank you, and yes you did help.
bassbabe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The amont of coursework you have to do is unreal
Temp.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've taken Art GCSE and was able to choose some of the topics but not all of them for my exam/coursework. I wasn't that dedicated to art but I did enjoy it and had a bit of talent within, so came out with a B overall.

To achieve an A* will probably need lots of extra time outside of class time as my friends who also took the course did so and got A's in the end since they put more effort into the course. But I think art is very subjective and depends on your teacher's opinion of your work.

You need to listen to your teacher, ask advice or what to improve on for every piece of work you do if they grade it below an A* in your case. This is so you know how to do better next time and understand your weaknesses and also learn your teacher's preferences in artwork.

I had 2 art teachers and their views on my artwork differed quite a lot, one thought it was B quality and the other said it was C/D... (I hated the one that said it was C/D). Anyways, A* in anything tends to be more difficult to get but with hard work, you can improve greatly and achieve that A* grade. As they say, practice makes perfect... (it really does for art!).

For extra work, you could draw out the same scenery over and over until your teacher approves it's A* material, although that might be pushing it a little. To get a high grade in art you need thought out ideas (e.g. more creative/unique ideas tend to be better as it's more innovative) , thorough research into your topic and previous artists is very important, types of materials you use and techniques are noted down and marked, so choose wisely (more varied and "skilled" techniques= higher grade) and of course you need details that follows your design, having prior examples/tests of your work are also good (always have annotations on them). You pretty much need to throw everything you can into the subject as quantity of work along with quality brings up your overall marks.

I wish you the best of luck! Go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
May_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't take art but one of my best friends did, she loves art and I think you really have to to take it, o spent so many lunchtimes keeping her company in the art room!
As for grades at my school the only people that take it are people who will definitely get A*s so they are amazing.. My only other piece of advice from an onlooker is to make sure you can create good pieces out of at least 3/4 different mediums, being good only one will definitely lower your grade, my friend had to do 6 pieces in different mediums.. But you have loads of time to experiment and improve! Good luck
PerplexedBird
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took art GCSE and got an A* with edexecel (me and 2 of my friends got it).

I would advise to not see art as like a chore, but more like something you enjoy. Many people complain about the workload, but if you keep up with the class, then there's nothing stopping you from getting it too.

In the sketchbook I did like 7 of them showing development of ideas and like a page of annotation, for each piece.

These are the medias I used (I often mixed to access the higher marks):

oil paint, biro, chalk pastels, oil pastels, acrylics, colouring pencils, normal writing pencil, watercolours and a lot more that I can't remember.

I also did work not only on diff types of paper, but also on canvas (Various sizes).

Present your work nicely and interestingly

ummm... just do your best!
Bruce260799
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Annabel28301)
Hi, I am just going into year 10 and I am passionate about art, I have chosen to take it for GCSE and I really want to get a high grade. I used to be really good at art but now I feel everyone is overtaking me, I am willing to put the effort in. I was just wondering is it possible if I put the time and effort in could I achieve an A*. Do you get to choose your own topic and how many hours outside of school do you have to spend time?
Art GCSE isn't that difficult but the amount work you have to do is ridiculous especially for the A* grade. Luckily I just scraped one, as In my exam board you need a total of 98% to achieve one. To get the high grades in art you have to be really inspired by something and have an understanding of why your doing something.

The most important thing in achieving an A* is using many different mediums - so experiment even if it looks dreadful. For example I did an etching out of oil pastel and used wax. You just need to think outside the box.

During your time in GCSE art you will get told to "Develop" your work and majority of art students hate this word. Basically your sketchbook is a journey you need to show as clearly as possible how you got from one idea to your final piece.

For example in my exam sketchbook I had the title human conditions so I started drawing hands. Then I decided I liked hatching because that's what my first artist did, which I linked to concealment. I then looked at what we conceal with our hands so I chose food Studied another artist and then did my final piece.

Hope this helps. 😃
icecreamcake
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Art Gcse is awful. You literally have to put so many hours into it. I spent more time on my art coursework than any of my other gcse subjects combined. It paid off - I got an A* in the end, but unless if you actually love art or if you're willing to put the hours in, don't take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klatie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never did art myself but my twin did and I know a few others who did. One thing I do know about it is that it is a hell of a lot of work and you need to dedicate a lot of time to it
Annabel28301
Rep:
?
I've taken Art GCSE and was able to choose some of the topics but not all of them for my exam/coursework. I wasn't that dedicated to art but I did enjoy it and had a bit of talent within, so came out with a B overall.

To achieve an A* will probably need lots of extra time outside of class time as my friends who also took the course did so and got A's in the end since they put more effort into the course. But I think art is very subjective and depends on your teacher's opinion of your work.

You need to listen to your teacher, ask advice or what to improve on for every piece of work you do if they grade it below an A* in your case. This is so you know how to do better next time and understand your weaknesses and also learn your teacher's preferences in artwork.

I had 2 art teachers and their views on my artwork differed quite a lot, one thought it was B quality and the other said it was C/D... (I hated the one that said it was C/D). Anyways, A* in anything tends to be more difficult to get but with hard work, you can improve greatly and achieve that A* grade. As they say, practice makes perfect... (it really does for art!).

For extra work, you could draw out the same scenery over and over until your teacher approves it's A* material, although that might be pushing it a little. To get a high grade in art you need thought out ideas (e.g. more creative/unique ideas tend to be better as it's more innovative) , through research into your topic and previous artists is very important, types of materials you use and techniques are noted down and marked, so choose wisely (more varied and "skilled" techniques= higher grade) and of course you need details that follows your design, having prior examples/tests of your work are also good (always have annotations on them). You pretty much need to throw everything you can into the subject as quantity of work along with quality brings up your overall marks.

I wish you the best of luck! Go for it!

Thank you
yellowcopter
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know it takes a lot of work to get A*/A, it's in no way an easy subject.

I did nothing for 2 years and got a C though, so it's not hard to just barely pass either (AQA Fine Art).
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a friend that took it and it certainly looked like a lot of work. I'm not clued up on the specifics though.
bethcc
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did GCSE Art in year 10 (I'm going into year 12 in Sep) and honestly, it wasn't bad at all! I wouldn't consider myself a great artist, and I managed to come out with a B grade overall!
Spoiler:
Show
and I didn't even finish all of my coursework. :eek:
However, this is not me saying "If you don't do your coursework you'll still come out with a good grade!!" because it definitely is nooootttt the case! You do need to work hard and there will be a lot of your spare time taken up as you need to complete coursework to specific deadlines. You'll also need to take pride in your work - PLEASE do everything to the best of your ability (even the work you do on day 1) because everything goes into your portfolio at the end and I kicked myself for not working as hard as I did at the start of the course compared to the end of the course - and it really showed throughout my work.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a tough subject, but it is most definitely not the easiest. If you want an outstanding grade, you'll need to do work out of the classroom. Don't just think "well I've done the classwork so that's it" - do some extra painting or drawing outside of class! It will benefit you. I promise Good luck!
Laurasaur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
is it possible if I put the time and effort in could I achieve an A*. Do you get to choose your own topic and how many hours outside of school do you have to spend time?
Yes, yes-ish and a lot.

If you're good at art, follow the markscheme criteria and produce a good volume of work, you can get an A*.

We did 3 topics (AQA 2013-14). The first two were film noir and natural form, and were chosen by my teachers. The last was self-selected from a list of topics from my exam paper.

I did 60-80% of my work outside of school because I work better without distractions. After being told I would get a low A, I spent the majority of my Easter holiday (just before all of my other GCSE exams) on doing better work. It paid off though, because I got an A*
Fawkesgirl33
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If youre passionate about art, definitely do it. However, art is a stressful, time consuming subject which combines creativity with the rigidity of folloeing a hopelessly worded mark scheme. As long as you ensure that art does not swamp all of your time (easily done) its a great choice as its very relaxing to just draw, and paint, and know that youll get a whole qualification at the end. Also,I had terrible teachers, so in retrospect it probably would not be quite so stressful in your school.
lucsus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I took Art as a taster option for my GCSE's and I noticed that you literally have 1, maybe 2 lessons for a 5-6 hour project (if you plan on getting an A-A* for it) and if you don't finish within that time, you have to do it at home, so you basically will always have ton of coursework to do, which will naturally interfere with your revision for other subjects. If you're planning on going to the best universities in the country, Art isn't really worth the hassle imo. But if you're passionate, go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%