Making backups of copyrighted media for personal use is now illegal.

Watch
Fango_Jett
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-i...ht-law-150805/

"The High Court recently overturned private copying exceptions introduced last year by the UK Government, once again outlawing the habits of millions of citizens. The Intellectual Property Office today explains that ripping a CD in iTunes is no longer permitted, and neither is backing up your computer if it contains copyrighted content."

It's absolutely amazing how out of touch the current copyright system is with modern methods. The fact that the media industry has such a huge grasp on our liberties is astonishing.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol.

If a law immediately criminalizes millions of citizens for doing something as innocuous as making backups of their own property then the law is flawed.

I recall once reading about kings constantly having to restate laws they decreed because they couldn't enforce it. I suspect this law will likewise end up in the same category of law, until it's rescinded.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Impossible to enforce. So I'm.not concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SausageMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is it the moving of music from one format to another that is deemed illegal?

If so simply listening to music could be deemed illegal, as your moving a compressed file from your speakers to your inner ear. Pretty ridiculous.
Fango_Jett
Rep:
?
(Original post by SausageMan)
Is it the moving of music from one format to another that is deemed illegal?

If so simply listening to music could be deemed illegal, as your moving a compressed file from your speakers to your inner ear. Pretty ridiculous.
Basically yes. Say you have a physical CD, under new legislation it would be illegal to rip that CD to say, iTunes. Basically anything that produces a copy of copyrighted material, even if it is for personal use, is now illegal.
Fango_Jett
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Impossible to enforce. So I'm.not concerned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not about the practicality of this law. It highlights how out of touch and outdated our current copyright legislation is as a whole.
yabbayabba
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fango_Jett)
https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-i...ht-law-150805/

"The High Court recently overturned private copying exceptions introduced last year by the UK Government, once again outlawing the habits of millions of citizens. The Intellectual Property Office today explains that ripping a CD in iTunes is no longer permitted, and neither is backing up your computer if it contains copyrighted content."

It's absolutely amazing how out of touch the current copyright system is with modern methods. The fact that the media industry has such a huge grasp on our liberties is astonishing.
The media has a huge grasp on our liberties??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (341)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (270)
44.19%

Watched Threads