A-Levles VS BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma?

Watch this thread
StevenBR
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Decent student, not a HUGE brainbox but very dedicated and hard-working. I'd like to have a career in Engineering (Civil preferred) and I'm not sure what the best action would be to take. A-Levels are harder but Unis generally don't like BTECs, but with a BTEC I can progress to a HND or advanced apprenticeship maybe there more employable due to the practical nature?

I'm just looking for opinions from anyone anyone A-level and BTEC students, workes in the field anyone really.

Yours sincerely:
A teenage Manc.
OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
What do you expect in your science and maths GCSEs? If you expect Bs and above then try looking at past papers and compare it to the engineering BTEC content of what you have to do. Check specs too.
StevenBR
Rep:
Maths I'd say a high B or a low A. For Science I already have B at core level and additional expecting B or above.
OGGUS
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StevenBR)
Maths I'd say a high B or a low A. For Science I already have B at core level and additional expecting B or above.
Then you might want to consider A-levels in maths, physics and 1 or 2 others
StevenBR
Rep:
Good point, i have, I've applied for Maths, Physics, Product Design and Art. Like I said, I am hard-working but my worry is that if I do A-Levels I won't be able to get good enough grades (basically A's ) to get into a decent uni. What are you studying atm or working?
OGGUS
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StevenBR)
Good point, i have, I've applied for Maths, Physics, Product Design and Art. Like I said, I am hard-working but my worry is that if I do A-Levels I won't be able to get good enough grades (basically A's ) to get into a decent uni. What are you studying atm or working?
Same going off to college next year, and doing A-levels.
StevenBR
Rep:
Ahh nice one. (y)
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
If you are certain you want a career in Engineering then the BTEC is definitely a good choice due to its practical and vocational nature, i would also take it with A level Maths (with Mechanics pathway)

You are correct in saying BTECs are more employable, however you are sort of off with what you say about universities not liking them, 95% of UK unis accept them including most of the Russell group, personally if you want to go into Civil Engineering i actually think the best preparation you can do would be a BTEC in either Construction or Engineering accompanied with A level Maths, just because top 10 unis generally require it.

Hope this helps
StevenBR
Rep:
It really does, thanks man. Can I ask do you work in the Engineering field or have studied the subject? What do you think about doing a HND after a BTEC course (if I do one), am I right in saying its equivalent to a foundation degree? Also I am certain of a career in engineering, nothing else really floats my boat. Hahaha.
AdamNitron
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey there. Former BTEC student here. Just finished my Extended Diploma (Level 3) in Electrical and Electronic engineering. Going to Liverpool in September to study degree (of the same name) so it's definitely possible to get into good universities with BTEC, as the guy said above me, most uni's accept it as a qualification.

I'd say if you want to do Civil engineering then it's definitely ideal to study A-Level maths alongside the BTEC, especially considering that Civil is probably one of the more 'maths heavy' engineering disciplines. You should start checking out potential univeristies you'd want to apply too and see what their requirements are.
StevenBR
Rep:
Cheers bro appreciate z reply. I got my results today and they were really good, so I decided to go along and do A-Levels
Student2015!
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hiya
I just got my results and they were not what I was expecting I will have to retake my maths and English , I really want to take Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social care
how may years will I have to stay in college for??????

HELP
AdamNitron
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Student2015!)
Hiya
I just got my results and they were not what I was expecting I will have to retake my maths and English , I really want to take Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social care
how may years will I have to stay in college for??????

HELP
Check with your college, but at mine they let students re-do their GCSE maths/english alongside the Ldvel 3 BTEC. It just meant they had more lessons in their timetable for these subjecs but they still fimished after two years.
StevenBR
Rep:
Can you not just do your diploma and resit the exams at the same time? I know a few people doing this so I think you need to contact your college and just check tbh, but I'm sure it would be fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (181)
41.32%
The paper was reasonable (195)
44.52%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.9%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.25%

Watched Threads