Sorry but GCSEs are not that big of a deal.

Watch
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Unless you want to go onto medicine then it doesn't matter if you get an F. All GCSEs really do is get you onto A-levels and then university. But you could easily get all Fs at GCSEs do a BTEC/Access course and still go to university in the same amount of time.

So if you dont do as well dw, life is not over and you most likely can still get where you want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A5ko
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It should be immediately apparent how worthless GCSE's are, the second you apply for a job above minimum wage.
stableintegral
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Killa Kam)
Unless you want to go onto medicine then it doesn't matter if you get an F. All GCSEs really do is get you onto A-levels and then university. But you could easily get all Fs at GCSEs do a BTEC/Access course and still go to university in the same amount of time.

So if you dont do as well dw, life is not over and you most likely can still get where you want to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSEs are important, because sixth forms will have entry requirements for studying particular subjects. Other than that, if you do generally quite well, universities won't look too deeply into GCSE results. AS/A2 results are by far more important.
ellie98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Id say I partly agree
Many colleges require at least Cs to get in to, particularly in subjects like Maths and English
Also, many universities are known to take GCSE results more into consideration than others
I guess it just depends on which college/sixth form then uni you want to go to
But like you said, life is not over with any form of examination result: GCSEs/AS or A Level
There is so much more to life than exam results
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agreed. When you get to college you just have to pay a small fee and you get to redo them. When you get to uni you have the same opportunity. Doing them in secondary school just means that you get them out of the way and don't have to deal with them when you've got your A Levels/degree to deal with.
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I rarely see job adds asking about GCSEs tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For the average person...

GCSEs are only good for getting you into sixth form/college.
A-Levels are only good for getting you into Uni or on an apprenticeship.
newblood
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Killa Kam)

Posted from TSR Mobile
And then once you get to university, alevels arent important
And then once youve gotten your first job, your degree isnt important.

Fact of life - why are you stating the obvious. At the time of sitting them however, all these things including gcse are important
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
GCSEs are important for getting you onto your A-level course, nothing more. A-levels are important for getting you onto a higher/further education course, nothing more. Its what you do after that that really matters.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by newblood)
And then once you get to university, alevels arent important
And then once youve gotten your first job, your degree isnt important.

Fact of life - why are you stating the obvious. At the time of sitting them however, all these things including gcse are important
Don't know - your degree still remains relevant your entire career I would say.
newblood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
No one cares past the name of your uni when you get onto your second job or further
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No one cares past the name of your uni when you get onto your second job or further
Most jobs require a specific degree. Most interviewers look at the classification to try and assess how smart you are. Its probably the number 1 thing we look at.

At the end of the day, you might have made a load of old *******s up about all the amazing stuff you did in your last job. Your degree subject and classification is probably the one solid piece of evidence you have as to your abilities.

Tbh, I don't even look at the name of the university. I'm more interested in what advanced modules you covered.
newblood
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most jobs require a specific degree. Most interviewers look at the classification to try and assess how smart you are. Its probably the number 1 thing we look at.

At the end of the day, you might have made a load of old *******s up about all the amazing stuff you did in your last job. Your degree subject and classification is probably the one solid piece of evidence you have as to your abilities.

Tbh, I don't even look at the name of the university. I'm more interested in what advanced modules you covered.
Lol what field do you employ in
Mathmatician
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When you do a masters it becomes irrelevant.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lol what field do you employ in
carpet cleaning and golf course management
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mathmatician)
When you do a masters it becomes irrelevant.
if its in the same subject then yes, that is possibly true - but your highest level of education is always relevant for the entirety of your career.
Mathmatician
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if its in the same subject then yes, that is possibly true - but your highest level of education is always relevant for the entirety of your career.
Yeah that's what I meant. So when you do PhD no one cares about masters.
It's so weird working hard for a levels then no one cares about them hahah
CplSkippy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry, but they are quite a big deal.

You've got to put the jam in between the cake layers (GCSE's) before you ice the cake (A-Levels) and then decorate it (university).

Skips
Moordland
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
lmao at op
siobhanx13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Does anyone know roughly what are the minimum GCSE results you need, coming from a comprehensive school, to have a chance of getting into med school?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads