The Student Room Group

Feeling constantly lonely

Ever since I came home from uni, I've been feeling incredibly lonely. I'm stuck at home 24/7 with my 2 siblings on which I despise as of recently. I feel like I have no friends. I don't get facebook messages anymore or any messages on whatsapp. I'm not even allowed to go out during the week as I'm stuck babysitting everyday. To make things worse my mum keeps repeating how I have no friends. I think this is a really petty reason to cut someone off but I came home around April and my "friend" sent me a message about how she wants to hang out. I said I'd let her know if I could but I had a lot of uni work. I never got back to her. I came home finally in May and her mom was saying how I feel better than them because I'm at uni and her kids aren't and made a big deal out of nothing.

Her older daughter has always been jealous of me but it's no reason to make me out as a bad person. We never hung out a lot before. We only saw eachother on sundays and even then we never texted eachother or anything. So we weren't close friends, I just grew up with them. Ever since I've been feeling really down. I'm transferring uni so I'm leaving newly made friends behind. Any advice?
I know how u feel I'm lonely too cos I don't have any friends either I just cant wait to go back to university now to make new friends and be around people cos I've just been sitting at home doing nothing all day really
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Ever since I came home from uni, I've been feeling incredibly lonely. I'm stuck at home 24/7 with my 2 siblings on which I despise as of recently. I feel like I have no friends. I don't get facebook messages anymore or any messages on whatsapp. I'm not even allowed to go out during the week as I'm stuck babysitting everyday. To make things worse my mum keeps repeating how I have no friends. I think this is a really petty reason to cut someone off but I came home around April and my "friend" sent me a message about how she wants to hang out. I said I'd let her know if I could but I had a lot of uni work. I never got back to her. I came home finally in May and her mom was saying how I feel better than them because I'm at uni and her kids aren't and made a big deal out of nothing.

Her older daughter has always been jealous of me but it's no reason to make me out as a bad person. We never hung out a lot before. We only saw eachother on sundays and even then we never texted eachother or anything. So we weren't close friends, I just grew up with them. Ever since I've been feeling really down. I'm transferring uni so I'm leaving newly made friends behind. Any advice?

Make some new friends, you don't need negativity. Also, tell your Mother that you'd have more bloody friends if she LET you out of the house. You're at Uni now and an adult, don't let your parents dictate what you do with all of your spare time. I get that you're staying with them, but they have to compromise with you.

Even if you aren't going to meet anyone in particular, get out of the house, go for a long walk, take up some fun activities like reading a good book or painting or crafts.

Remember, you won't always feel like this, it's just a time in your life where you felt low, you will come through that and to a happier place. Just get yourself out of the house please!
(edited 8 years ago)
there there
I would say that, maybe you should rethink how you look at your situation. You have family, siblings (and i know siblings can be *****) and you are still young. There is always time in the future to go out. Also id point out that most older generations never had FB, insta or anything like that so had to grow up in silence or walk round to their friends house. Being connected is great but it is utterly **** for your mind. Staring at fb for hours watching everyone else's lives roll past can make you feel soo much worse because you just sit there thinking about how bad your life is in comparison to theirs because they are out and doing things with people they like or are friends with. Friendships go both ways, reach out to people and see if anyone ewants to hang out for a while or go do someting. If not, then find something for you, spend time with yourself and be your own friend. Growing older it will only become more apparent that you will have less friends, its a hard pill to swallow but if you want to be an independant adult then you need to learn this lesson quickly. Think about what your hobbies are? do you like to read? goto the gym? fill your time with those instead. Also if someone is being a **** to you because you got into uni and they or theirs didnt it's because you worked hard and they haven't. You are no better and no less than them just more determined. People get ratty when someone changes, but you have to keep in mind it is your life and only you have control over that life. Keep your chin up, and life will find a way to work itself out eventually.

Quick Reply