The Student Room Group

Do you hate your job?

Scroll to see replies

Yes I used to work at Mcdonalds and they made me eat lunch in a cupboard. And everyone dropped food on the floor all the time yet still served it up. There was no one stopping them. And they certainly weren't very nice or welcoming, nor patient with me during training. Once I was trained, I found the duties hugely repetitive and dull. No wonder they didn't give me an interview - they were just desperate for anyone willing to work there.
I do. my official work time is 8:30 to 5:30 pm but i never go home on time, i usually go home around 8 or 9 pm
I used to work at McDonald's - can confirm it's horrendous. I personally found them sexist because they only put girls on the tills and guys in the kitchen. I had a friend working at another McDonald's in the same city and it was the same for her. I've seen guys on the tills elsewhere but because I know about it I always look whenever I'm in a McDs (not often) and there are more girls on the tills. I asked my manager why and he told me it's because customers are less likely to be aggressive towards girls - we still dealt with a lot of aggression though and we had security on the doors in the evening and there were incidents involving the police so I would hardly say we didn't experience aggression and the guys would just carry on in the kitchen when we were getting aggro. We had people spit at us over the counter, try to jump over the counter, throw meals at us, throw chairs in the dining area, vandalize the toilets etc. Our security were only present for a few hours and they couldn't really do much even when they were there.

They were also terrible at training - they basically made me watch someone else do the job for a couple of days and then expected me to be able to do everything (i.e. take multiple orders and input them on the till during peak hours when I'd never even used a till before) and they basically expected you to learn on the job which is bad in a fast paced customer focused environment. When it's busy you literally never stop and our manager used to come up behind when there were queues out the door and he'd discreetly tell us to smile and look happy. McDs was also the only retail/service place I've worked for who make you count your own float at the end of the day and they question you if you're a pound out as if it's the Spanish inquisition.

They go on and on about H&S but the staff floor was constantly wet or covered in grease - especially the back stairs leading down from our staff room into the kitchen. Management were idiotic, unprofessional and had no clue and the long term staff apart from the cleaners were total losers who boasted about drug use. We had a tiny office that could only fit two chairs in and in my first week (I was only a teenager) my manager came in after his shift and unchanged in front of me - literally whipped off his shirt as if it was a normal thing to do in front of a new young female recruit.

I'd go on the dole before I ever worked in McDonald's again. To top it off the customers treat you like you're totally think, patronize you at every opportunity, often get confrontational over something so stupid like not having enough ice in their Coke or not enough sauce on their Big Mac and when the secondary schools finish for the day kids come in and literally take the piss out of staff and make a mess of the store and there's not a thing you can do.unless a manager kicks them out but they won't because they know the kids are buying stuff and the manager just cares about profit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I used to work at McDonald's - can confirm it's horrendous. I personally found them sexist because they only put girls on the tills and guys in the kitchen. I had a friend working at another McDonald's in the same city and it was the same for her. I've seen guys on the tills elsewhere but because I know about it I always look whenever I'm in a McDs (not often) and there are more girls on the tills. I asked my manager why and he told me it's because customers are less likely to be aggressive towards girls - we still dealt with a lot of aggression though and we had security on the doors in the evening and there were incidents involving the police so I would hardly say we didn't experience aggression and the guys would just carry on in the kitchen when we were getting aggro. We had people spit at us over the counter, try to jump over the counter, throw meals at us, throw chairs in the dining area, vandalize the toilets etc. Our security were only present for a few hours and they couldn't really do much even when they were there.

They were also terrible at training - they basically made me watch someone else do the job for a couple of days and then expected me to be able to do everything (i.e. take multiple orders and input them on the till during peak hours when I'd never even used a till before) and they basically expected you to learn on the job which is bad in a fast paced customer focused environment. When it's busy you literally never stop and our manager used to come up behind when there were queues out the door and he'd discreetly tell us to smile and look happy. McDs was also the only retail/service place I've worked for who make you count your own float at the end of the day and they question you if you're a pound out as if it's the Spanish inquisition.

They go on and on about H&S but the staff floor was constantly wet or covered in grease - especially the back stairs leading down from our staff room into the kitchen. Management were idiotic, unprofessional and had no clue and the long term staff apart from the cleaners were total losers who boasted about drug use. We had a tiny office that could only fit two chairs in and in my first week (I was only a teenager) my manager came in after his shift and unchanged in front of me - literally whipped off his shirt as if it was a normal thing to do in front of a new young female recruit.

I'd go on the dole before I ever worked in McDonald's again. To top it off the customers treat you like you're totally think, patronize you at every opportunity, often get confrontational over something so stupid like not having enough ice in their Coke or not enough sauce on their Big Mac and when the secondary schools finish for the day kids come in and literally take the piss out of staff and make a mess of the store and there's not a thing you can do.unless a manager kicks them out but they won't because they know the kids are buying stuff and the manager just cares about profit.

All your posts to do with work and employment give me a massive downer :-/
(edited 8 years ago)
To top it off the customers treat you like you're totally think, patronize you at every opportunity, often get confrontational over something so stupid like not having enough ice in their Coke or not enough sauce on their Big Mac and when the secondary schools finish for the day kids come in and literally take the piss out of staff and make a mess of the store and there's not a thing you can do.unless a manager kicks them out but they won't because they know the kids are buying stuff and the manager just cares about profit.

I've never worked in McDonalds but I did work in a neighbourhood Chinese takeaway when I was 17-18. Thankfully largely little grief.

I was once in an inner city London branch of McDonalds and was served by a young chap on training. Another customer was getting very disgruntled about the length of time he was waiting. I couldn't actually believe my eyes when it came and he said "no it's cold, I don't want it, ****ing useless, gimme a refund, gimme a refund, gimme a refund, *loudest tut possible*". Then, despite having waited five minutes, he leaves with nothing. I felt myself get very angry for the lad on the till, even though he was calm. I would have completely popped. It is never ever acceptable to abuse the worker. Ever.

Sometimes at my current job I get a stern word down the phone from people I'm not answerable to in the slightest, it makes my blood boil. Once had somebody told me they'd "wring" me by the neck if they could. My job's not nearly important enough to take that.
(edited 8 years ago)
I worked there for a summer, just because I missed the boat on the rest so just kinda found this and thought 'I'll only be here 9 weeks, it'll be no problem'.

McDonald's workers aren't paid enough, are treated like crap by managers who aren't qualified (many of the crew members have degrees, while managers have just been there for long enough). Also I'm not sure how people can rate the CEO as they wouldn't even know who they are!

It's all franchised so they'd only deal with their franchisee or franchise manager.

I would try to avoid working here at all costs in the future - I imagine that as a corporate employee it's completely different to be honest.

I really hope that they sort their menu out as promised.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
All your posts to do with work and employment give me a massive downer :-/

I've worked in a lot of **** jobs for **** companies in **** towns. Avoid them and you'll be alright. Personally I'd steer clear of fast food and retail as that's where I encountered the most vile members of the public and bad management. Office work is much better in terms of customer relations - you don't deal with them in person, just over the phone/via email so you don't have to deal with someone getting all up in your face or threatening you. The downside is that it's boring as hell and you're sat on your arse for 8+ hours a day, it's like being in a hamster cage, but if I was given the option of retail/office I'd take office. Thankfully I no longer work in either now.
Reply 8
I'm going to annoy everyone above and say no, I love my job. :ahee:

Edit: I'm also thanking my lucky stars I never worked for Macdonalds. I never realised how bad it was. :no:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by rockrunride
I've never worked in McDonalds but I did work in a neighbourhood Chinese takeaway when I was 17-18. Thankfully largely little grief.

I was once in an inner city London branch of McDonalds and was served by a young chap on training. Another customer was getting very disgruntled about the length of time he was waiting. I couldn't actually believe my eyes when it came and he said "no it's cold, I don't want it, ****ing useless, gimme a refund, gimme a refund, gimme a refund, *loudest tut possible*". Then, despite having waited five minutes, he leaves with nothing. I felt myself get very angry for the lad on the till, even though he was calm. I would have completely popped. It is never ever acceptable to abuse the worker. Ever.

Sometimes at my current job I get a stern word down the phone from people I'm not answerable to in the slightest, it makes my blood boil. Once had somebody told me they'd "wring" me by the neck if they could. My job's not nearly important enough to take that.

It's also wrong to serve cold food when that is not what you've ordered. But agreed, his tone sounds like it was shocking and could have asked for a swap calmly without swearing
Original post by Roving Fish

McDonald's workers aren't paid enough, are treated like crap by managers who aren't qualified (many of the crew members have degrees, while managers have just been there for long enough).

I don't see how my degree in physics entitles me to manage a fast food store as apposed to someone who has been there a long time?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I don't see how my degree in physics entitles me to manage a fast food store as apposed to someone who has been there a long time?

It doesn't... But a degree does display that you can think rationally and have some degree of intelligence.

Which I can assure you most of the managers in the one that I worked in lacked entirely.
It's definitely stressful and sometimes frustrating, but my employers spend a fortune on company nights out, and I'm set for a payrise after less than a year and a promotion shortly after, so not bad at all.
I LOVE my job! I've been with the same company for 7 years and I absolutely love it. If it wasn't for the fact I want to pursue my life long dream, I wouldn't even consider leaving

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rockrunride

Yeah, I experienced a lot of situations like the one you described during my 'training' period and even after. Even when you say ''I'm new'' they just abuse you - the really nasty one's tut and and ask the supervisor/manager ''Where did you get this one from?'' or something to that effect.

When I worked at a well known music retailer we had someone throw a box set of DVDs at us (they're heavy things!) over the counter because we wouldn't give them money off it (like you can barter in a retail shop these days?!) and then they proceeded to scream and shout until the police arrived. Sales really do bring out the worst in people. People used to come to the till if there was a 30% off, or whatever, item and ask what it would be now and after 7 hours and you're tired your brain just can't compute so you grab a calculator and get a remark like ''did you not go to school?'' etc when you have a degree!

I can kind of laugh about stuff now and as staff we did laugh a lot of stuff off together but at the time it was actually quite upsetting and traumatic when there was aggression as I'd never dealt with that and didn't expect that I'd have to just serving burgers or selling CDs - we experienced just pure aggression from grown adults towards a bunch of young people just doing their jobs, it was insane. So, yeah it's put me off working in retail environments for the rest of my life - I just can't do it. I think I'd actually snap if I was in that environment again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's definitely stressful and sometimes frustrating, but my employers spend a fortune on company nights out, and I'm set for a payrise after less than a year and a promotion shortly after, so not bad at all.

That would just add to the stress with me.
Yes I hate it with a passion but Ive worked there every summer for past 3 years. Pays very well but that's about it

You get treated like ****, get swore out, insulted in diff languages, breaks are too small, too much dust and in general excluding the people im cool with most of the people are ********s. And too much strain on your body
The best kinds of jobs are those which don't require many skills and aren't too stressful, but which look pretty good on the CV. These are called 'transition jobs'.

E.g. call centre worker, social media manager, tutor, software tester. These jobs are perfect for students and the article below tells you how to apply and land them.

http://www.talentcupboard.com/employability/the-10-best-transition-jobs-for-new-graduates/
Original post by JacobMontgomery
The best kinds of jobs are those which don't require many skills and aren't too stressful, but which look pretty good on the CV. These are called 'transition jobs'.

E.g. call centre worker, social media manager, tutor, software tester. These jobs are perfect for students and the article below tells you how to apply and land them.

http://www.talentcupboard.com/employability/the-10-best-transition-jobs-for-new-graduates/

Being a nurse is actually very stressful, but I would like to get paid to be a 'wine taster' tbh.

Wow. Its true what they say about maccies and especially the stuck up stuborn staff, I was studying and they were pretty envious about that and any little mistake I would make they would be like, no salad or adding a bit more than usual lettuce they would 'oh you dont know what your doing' its like just piss off.

However sometimes the managers dont care and it can be our advantage as we may not have to do much work and can have a bit of a laugh. But it is hard work but ive got used to it now.

The customers acutally do give you **** over petty things but you can have a go back politley. They also complain for new burger as it was cold but they have eaten half of it wtf lol.Scroungers are some customers

Quick Reply

Latest