The Student Room Group

How to tell my Asian parents I'm moving out

I'm going away for uni and planning to tell them on results day 🙊 Getting stressed now. Left it a bit late I know. Any tips? Do you think they'll send me back to my home country :sad:

Scroll to see replies

Are you 18? If so they can't send you back and legally you can do what you want.

Problem with this is financial support most of the time if they don't support your decision to move out they probably won't fund you.
Just tell em how good the Uni is, how many opportunities etc it'll bring, how it'll be a major growing up/independence experience for you, how you'll come back and visit each holiday, how it'll greatly enhance your job prospects etc. Essentially, sell the Uni to them :h:
Reply 3
Original post by A5ko
No, tell them 'hopefully'.

I don't have a choice.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Are you 18? If so they can't send you back and legally you can do what you want.

Problem with this is financial support most of the time if they don't support your decision to move out they probably won't fund you.

The thing is I know they'll be okay with it but I have my doubts. You never know about my parents. Im seriously regretting leaving it till this late. And yep I am 18.
Reply 4
By postcard.
Wait, you're going to university?
I initially thought you were 14. Apologies.
Which university?
Reply 6
Original post by somemightsay888
Just tell em how good the Uni is, how many opportunities etc it'll bring, how it'll be a major growing up/independence experience for you, how you'll come back and visit each holiday, how it'll greatly enhance your job prospects etc. Essentially, sell the Uni to them :h:

I have my uni prospectus and speech ready. :u:
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
By postcard.

I'll consider it
Original post by inachigeek21
Wait, you're going to university?
I initially thought you were 14. Apologies.
Which university?

Yeah I am lol. Cardiff maybe SOAS in London.
Sit down with them and calmly discuss it. Let them know it's something you have to do. Reassure them you will be safe and there's no need for them to worry about you. If they bring up points, respond to them like an adult instead of losing patience. Show them how happy it'll make you to have a bit of independence. Hopefully they will understand :smile:
Original post by arfah
The thing is I know they'll be okay with it but I have my doubts. You never know about my parents. Im seriously regretting leaving it till this late. And yep I am 18.

Well then stop worrying, have you discussed it at all?
Reply 10
Original post by arfah
I have my uni prospectus and speech ready. :u:

Ok so let me get this straight.

You're not sure how to tell your parents that you are going to Uni, but you believe they will be fine with it and you have a speech all ready..?

What the fork was the point of all of the above?
You're luck that your not black because if I was in that position ooooooohh god, my mum and dad will say NO straight away
Reply 12
Original post by starlight82
Sit down with them and calmly discuss it. Let them know it's something you have to do. Reassure them you will be safe and there's no need for them to worry about you. If they bring up points, respond to them like an adult instead of losing patience. Show them how happy it'll make you to have a bit of independence. Hopefully they will understand :smile:

Thank you! :smile: I will do so
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Well then stop worrying, have you discussed it at all?

No not discussed it. My mum wants me to go to Manchester which is where I live basically
Original post by A5ko
Ok so let me get this straight.

You're not sure how to tell your parents that you are going to Uni, but you believe they will be fine with it and you have a speech all ready..?

What the fork was the point of all of the above?

Lol. The fact that my parents are unpredictable, and probably that I'm only hoping that they'll be fine with it. That's the best case scenario.
Well considering how late it is, they'll be slightly shocked when you do decide to tell them, so don't worry if they reject the idea initially. Persist, beg, tell them about the advantages of living in the halls.

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by Starlight15
You're luck that your not black because if I was in that position ooooooohh god, my mum and dad will say NO straight away

:colondollar: Hopefully my parents won't dismiss it completely.
Reply 15
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Well considering how late it is, they'll be slightly shocked when you do decide to tell them, so don't worry if they reject the idea initially. Persist, beg, tell them about the advantages of living in the halls.

Good luck! :biggrin:

I will beg I just need to mentally prepare myself. Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by arfah

Yeah I am lol. Cardiff maybe SOAS in London.

To study what subject?
Original post by Starlight15

Truth
I asked if i can leave london to go to uni they said you are staying in London :redface:
But i will apply to two non London Unis anyway :teehee:

What @somemightsay888 said and probably over dinner and tell them the uni has a higher reputation then the one in your area and better employability skills :smile:
If you know it'll be okay and you already have a speech prepared....what is the point in this thread :erm: ?
Can't be worse than to total blow out that occured in my house when I 'accidentally' forgot to apply to Cambridge before the deadline :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest