Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hiya, like most people i would like to do medicine at Cambridge. i have chosen chem,bio, maths and physics for AS cos i heard that cambs specifically asked for at least 3 sciences, but now i am not sure about physics.
    is that supposed to mean they prefer 3??
    i am really academic but am also good at eng, art and music. do i need physics?would i be in for a better chance with a wider range of subjects?whatever i choose i will carry on for A2.i love all the sciences so much but am scared i am not going to be able to cope!please could you help me?i really could do with some advice..thanx xx

ReputationRep:
    if you read http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugpros...medicine4.html

you can see that when they say 3 sciences, they include maths in that

i would suggest not doing physics if you dont want to - but do a good academic subject (english or history)

Note that it does say 3 A Levels - not AS, so if you plan to only continue 3 a levels into the second year, do Maths, Chem and Bio

If i had to offer advice over cambridge and "Increasing your chances", well as long as you're aceing chemistry and probably biology as well, then nothing you do subject wise will increase your chances. Medecine is heavily oversubscribed, so you need to think how to give yourself the edge - and your choice of subjects will not be that thing.

ReputationRep:
    i totally agree with Willa, try not to take all sciences this will give them the impression that u r only good at sciences not at the others, and u know Cambridge ppl are picky .. they want a Perfect person or Nothin, so try to have a variety of different sectors of subjects. i would prefere english though ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    hiya, like most people i would like to do medicine at Cambridge. i have chosen chem,bio, maths and physics for AS cos i heard that cambs specifically asked for at least 3 sciences, but now i am not sure about physics.
    is that supposed to mean they prefer 3??
    i am really academic but am also good at eng, art and music. do i need physics?would i be in for a better chance with a wider range of subjects?whatever i choose i will carry on for A2.i love all the sciences so much but am scared i am not going to be able to cope!please could you help me?i really could do with some advice..thanx xx
    maths counts as a science so you could do another subject that you enjoy instead of physics. but they do want 3 sciences/maths - oxford don't. just ask my friend, who "forgot", applied to cambridge and then they were like "umm...you don't have the right subjects" and then she'd missed the deadline so only applied to 3 places. got in to the others though!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.