The Student Room Group

Witnessing Surgery

Hi guys and thanks for taking the time to read my post

I recently witnessed a c-sec surgery where a pregnant mother delivered. I fully intend on including this in my personal statement and would like to ask what lessons/reflections could I mention on my personal statement by observing such a procedure?

I realise this is a very rare opportunity hence may make me stand out when universities are reading my application and thus would like to make full use of this inclusion.

Thanks
Original post by ultimatesword

I recently witnessed a c-sec surgery where a pregnant mother delivered. I fully intend on including this in my personal statement and would like to ask what lessons/reflections could I mention on my personal statement by observing such a procedure?

I realise this is a very rare opportunity hence may make me stand out when universities are reading my application and thus would like to make full use of this inclusion.

Thanks

Well, what lessons and reflections did you make? What did you take away from it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

Thanks

It's only going to make you stand out if you actually learned something from it. Just saying you were there is not going to help you. But we can't tell you what you saw and how you felt!
No one's going to be impressed by "I watched a C section being performed in a hospital." Anyone can watch a C-section as well as more complex, full-length surgeries being performed on youtube. (Which would give a better view of what was happening anyway)

You need to put across what you gained from the experience itself. What did you learn? How did it enlighten you about the roles of doctors, and surgery as a speciality? How has it changed your expectations and perception of working in the medical field? What did you learn from being in a hectic hospital environment, witnessing the chaotic yet extremely precise and organized nature of surgery? What did you learn from witnessing the vital teamwork demonstrated by a surgical team performing an operation?

Don't rely on impressing the admission tutor by saying you watched a C section. What will impress them is knowing why you would want to watch it in the first place. Why you would be interested. What steps did you take and what were your reasons for seeking out the opportunity to watch the surgery? How has it influenced your decision to pursue a career in medicine?

That's what the person reading your personal statement is going to care about. Substance.
Reply 4
Just wanted to add - I've probably been involved in close to 100 C-sections now, and they're still one of my favourite ops as an anaesthetist (though not all my colleagues feel the same!) I still find new things to reflect on, so I'm sure you must be able to come up with a few new points!
Really appreciate all the advice peeps!

I've added loads of reflections on my ps from this one surgery alone. Thanks :smile:

P.S. - would any of you be interested in reading and critiquing my personal statement?

Thanks again

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Really appreciate all the advice peeps!

I've added loads of reflections on my ps from this one surgery alone. Thanks :smile:

P.S. - would any of you be interested in reading and critiquing my personal statement?

Thanks again

Make sure you only send it to somebody you truly trust and is certainly not an applicant, or there's a risk of plagiarism.

I, personally, wouldn't add a "load of reflections" about one thing on your PS, considering the line & word count. You need to talk about a variety of topics. Depends how much you mean by a load though :tongue:
Original post by Helenia
It's only going to make you stand out if you actually learned something from it. Just saying you were there is not going to help you. But we can't tell you what you saw and how you felt!

pretty much this, nothing else to it.
Original post by Lionheartat20
Make sure you only send it to somebody you truly trust and is certainly not an applicant, or there's a risk of plagiarism.

I, personally, wouldn't add a "load of reflections" about one thing on your PS, considering the line & word count. You need to talk about a variety of topics. Depends how much you mean by a load though :tongue:

Yep fully understand that - was only going to let the user above read it as they are a medicine graduate.

Yeah it's not "loads" in that sense :tongue: but it's enough to actually show I've learnt things from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending