The Student Room Group

Use of Hermes Webmail and alternatives

Poll

Do you usually use Hermes Webmail?

Okay, I have to ask this - in the form of a poll, since it's started to bug me. Do you use Hermes Webmail on your own computer (exceptions made for using shared computers)? Do you use an alternative way of accessing your @cam.ac.uk email? Did you know that there are alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
microsoft entourage for mac, pretty much outlook i guess. set on imap of course
Mail for Mac. Imap. Works a treat. The Hermes when I'm acessing from another system.
Reply 3
Thunderbird on both Linux and Windows. Can't stand the web mail interface.
Reply 4
I have a Gmail account now and basically all my Hermes stuff gets redirected to that.
Reply 5
I use Webmail because outlook annoys me and I'm too lazy to find alternatives.
Reply 6
Outlook. POP. People keep whining that POP's bad because it deletes the mails off the server - I don't care. I like everything in one place and it keeps the webmail inbox clear when I use PWF.
Hermes works perfectly well for me... I've got it a nice grey colour now, and it does everything I need it to do (i.e. recieve and send mails!) so there's no need to faff and change.
Reply 8
I either use webmail or PuTTY
Reply 9
I'm aware that there *are* alternatives to webmail, but I have all of my email forwarding to my @cam.ac.uk address anyway and just getting split into different folders, so I've never bothered to set anything else up.

The only annoying thing about webmail is that if you're signed into it twice then it sometimes throws a hissy fit about sending emails. Other than that it's perfectly serviceable.
I use Outlook (IMAP) almost exclusively, unless something goes wrong, or I'm on PWF computers. It means my other e-mail accounts can be managed from the same program, and I'm notified of any new messages immediately.
apd35
I either use webmail or PuTTY

PuTTY? There's a completely text-based e-mail terminal in the ADC clubroom which is an absolute prick to use... I guess it's a bit like that?

Personally it's Thunderbird IMAP all the way for me. The convenience of a dedicated mail program and the handiness of having my whole inbox available on Webmail if I need it.
Reply 12
I set a forward rule in my sieve script on hermes to forward to the MTA on my server and use KMail to access the IMAP server there. :smile:
Reply 13
I don't think that I understood more than half the words in that sentence.
Reply 14
Cexy
I don't think that I understood more than half the words in that sentence.

To be fair neither did I. I only use PuTTY to "finger" people. It tells you when they last accesed their e-mail (by telling you last time an e-mail was looked at), so you know if someone has got your message.
Reply 15
Basically he forwards the mail to his webserver then picks it up via an outlook type client using IMAP. :p:

absolutely no idea what a sieve script is, though i imagine its something that can make rules etc for mail!
Reply 16
I like using mail for mac since it has a little red indicator in the dock when you get a new email. Sad I know, but I like it.
I use Outlook (POP), but occasionally check the 'spam' folder that the Hermes filter creates via the Webmail interface.
Reply 18
Hermes on my laptop (in College), Pine in the department (because Mozilla is *so* slow it's not funny)...
minimo
I have a Gmail account now and basically all my Hermes stuff gets redirected to that.

*hi five*

Thats exactly what I do.

I can't stand the hermes interface, and as for 'faff' James, how about never having to empty you inbox, never having to 'check' your mail cos you get a notifier which pops up every time you get a new email? :rolleyes:

Plus you can set it up to send from Gmail AS [email protected] so you NEVER have to bother with the **** that is hermes! Yayness!

All in all Gmail/other mail clients are MUCH better than just using hermes, and definitely less 'faff'.

Latest