The Student Room Group

Telling your parents that you're moving away for uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mohamedm300
I also live in london and decided to apply for university outside london. My mum was against it but dad was chilled about it. I honestly don't mind london but i just wanted to experience living on my own. I just told my parents BS, i told them that the course i really want to do is outside london. if i was you i would start telling them that you MIGHT leave asap

I keep hinting that I've no intention of staying, but it's like she's already planned a 'don't leave me' speech :mmm:
Original post by Sicaspeak
No, I was think more along the lines of caring for someone who is disabled. It's not fair for you to have to settle for a uni you don't want to go to just so you can provide your parents with free childcare. You have every right to think about yourself! :smile:

I think that's a good idea - find out as much as you can about each of the uni's you're interested in then you can be sure if it's somewhere you would enjoy attending and a city you'd enjoy living in :h:

Precisely. Sometimes I just feel they want me to stay so that they can have less baggage to carry on their backs.

Thank you again! :biggrin:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I said to my mum, "I didn't expect you to be one to stop me from going to a university outside London like many people's parents do" and she was a little taken a back, like she didn't want me to think she was being as close-minded as I think she is about it.

Exactly. I mean her only reason for me staying is for the family. But my family isn't what will get me far in the field I'm interested in going into. I understand that we've got to stick together at times, but having to devote my education to do that? Not appealing :hand:

Sometimes you need to approach these situations with a little caution and try and sympathise with their view.

If you acknowledge their view, however wrong it may feel, then give a good reason as to why they need not worry, then it'll go a long way. And you'll unlock the skill of diplomacy. :smile:

Catch her at a good time once you've started looking at potential candidates for your choices and explain why they might be good - but delicately and listen to her. :smile:
You shouldn't feel bad as it's clouding and distorting your decision making. If you go to a London uni because your mum doesn't want you to move out then you could end up resenting her in the future. I would just tell your mum that only non-London unis are appealing to you and you want to open a new path in your life. You need to devote yourself to an ideal. Have the courage to do what is necessary.
Original post by Zer0.
Yeah I'll apply to one University that's in London, namely UCL, though the others will most likely be outside of London. Haha, even if I were to attain an offer from Cambridge (Probably not going to happen) God knows the struggle I'd go through when trying to firm it!

Edit: Applying to LSE as well :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whose parents would stop their child from firming Cambridge, huh?! I try and advise you but I'm pretty sure mine would do the same :lol: like you could practically see them flinch when I say that a uni is more than an hour away.

As long as you love the universities you're applying to in London, there shouldn't be a problem.
I'm applying for 2016 entry and I'm moving away (closest choice is about 2.5 hr drive away) and it was never an issue, I just told my mum what unis I liked and we never saw the distance as an issue, I want to experience independent life, I can't believe some parents would try and stop their kids from doing what they want, you're 18 after all ( when you go) should be able to do what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't find the idea of staying in London appealing. I mean sure there are great universities, but the universities and courses which appeal to me the most turn out to be, unfortunately for my mother, out of London.

Well then this is what you need to tell your parents. If you tell them enough times they'll realise that you're set on it and they'll accept it eventually. :tongue:

I don't want to keep them out of the loop, no, but I also don't want them to be the reason I end up somewhere I'm unhappy being :getmecoat:

Only you control your UCAS application and what universities you apply to, so afaic if worst comes to worst just apply to the unis you want then you have a year to tell your parents to accept it.

One of my close friends in real life is a muslim and her parents were like 'no, there's no way you're going'. She then convinced them and they are allowing her to go, but won't provide her with any financial help when she does. It's a lose-lose situation. ;erm:

Wow. :frown: You can take out sizeable maintenance loans even if this happens, though. Hopefully your parents would be slightly more reasonable than this though. :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Sometimes you need to approach these situations with a little caution and try and sympathise with their view.

If you acknowledge their view, however wrong it may feel, then give a good reason as to why they need not worry, then it'll go a long way. And you'll unlock the skill of diplomacy. :smile:

Catch her at a good time once you've started looking at potential candidates for your choices and explain why they might be good - but delicately and listen to her. :smile:

Hmm, that is true. I'll need to reassure her that I'm not completely blocking her views out when coming to a decision.

I just hate it when she forces university choices upon me. At first she tried doing it with university courses, even though I've had my mind set for 2 years now!

Thank you :h:
Original post by LukeTR1998
I'm applying for 2016 entry and I'm moving away (closest choice is about 2.5 hr drive away) and it was never an issue, I just told my mum what unis I liked and we never saw the distance as an issue, I want to experience independent life, I can't believe some parents would try and stop their kids from doing what they want, you're 18 after all ( when you go) should be able to do what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do try to understand that not everyone may find it easy to move away and there are complications when suggestions are made to do so.
Original post by Mr Smurf
You shouldn't feel bad as it's clouding and distorting your decision making. If you go to a London uni because your mum doesn't want you to move out then you could end up resenting her in the future. I would just tell your mum that only non-London unis are appealing to you and you want to open a new path in your life. You need to devote yourself to an ideal. Have the courage to do what is necessary.

I don't feel bad at all Brads, the only problem is her actually having the courage to let me go out into the world and live I guess :lol:

I'll probably speak to my form tutor about my uni choices also so that he could encourage my mum too, because we all know how parents love to take teacher's comments in about their child 100 percent
[QUOTE=thecatwithnohat;58272551]Do try to understand that not everyone may find it easy to move away and there are complications when suggestions are made to do so.

Yeah fair enough, but if it's just a case of a parent not wanting their child to "fly from the nest" then it's just wrong
Original post by Law-Hopeful
Well then this is what you need to tell your parents. If you tell them enough times they'll realise that you're set on it and they'll accept it eventually. :tongue:

I'll have them accept it by November when I have to hand my UCAS in (school internal deadline) I don't think they feel they can stop me, they're just attached for reasons I'm beyond understanding haha.

Only you control your UCAS application and what universities you apply to, so afaic if worst comes to worst just apply to the unis you want then you have a year to tell your parents to accept it.

Fingers crossed I don't die on the same day :colonhash:

Wow. :frown: You can take out sizeable maintenance loans even if this happens, though. Hopefully your parents would be slightly more reasonable than this though. :smile:

No,no, I doubt mine will be this stubborn if and when my decision to leave becomes final :lol:
Original post by LukeTR1998
Yeah fair enough, but if it's just a case of a parent not wanting their child to "fly from the nest" then it's just wrong

That is true I guess, cri 4 me
Reply 33
I'm so proud of you! :hugs: I'm glad they took it well.

That's exactly my point, before you know it I'll have to go out and find a well paying full-time job :afraid:

Thank you lovely :hugs: That's true though you can't really go out and work unless you know how to be on your own/have some experience.
[QUOTE=thecatwithnohat;58272999]That is true I guess, cri 4 me[/QUOTE

Haha, well good luck with it
Anyway, thanks for the words of wisdom guys! :u:
I just don't find the idea of staying in London appealing.

Can I ask why? Is it just cause of the courses, or is there something else? I ask 'cause going down to London is something I've been thinking of myself, on the basis that it's gotta be bigger and better than pretty much everywhere else in the country.
Original post by Hashim123
Can I ask why? Is it just cause of the courses, or is there something else? I ask 'cause going down to London is something I've been thinking of myself, on the basis that it's gotta be bigger and better than pretty much everywhere else in the country.

London is a lovely place, don't get me wrong! I just want to go somewhere quieter, less hectic, less "in there" :lol:
Reply 38
Whose parents would stop their child from firming Cambridge, huh?! I try and advise you but I'm pretty sure mine would do the same :lol: like you could practically see them flinch when I say that a uni is more than an hour away.

As long as you love the universities you're applying to in London, there shouldn't be a problem.

*high five* For having tyrannical parents in common

:colonhash:
Don't just spring it on them one day, that'll just cause lots of problems

My family didn't want me to apply to Edinburgh, but I did anyway because it's about what I want, not them. However, I would mention all the great things about the city and uni, the course, why I really would like to go there etc. and they began to warm up to the idea of me moving out of London.

A good thing to do is try to get them to attend open days with you. When my mum went to York with me she absolutely loved it (it helped that York was voted the safest city in the world by some random survey of tourists/residents, Edinburgh was 2nd :biggrin:)

They'll work out that it's what you want and that it could be best for you, if not it's something you should do anyway for yourself. My grandmother is still guilt tripping me about leaving but what you gonna do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending