The Student Room Group

Did he just ask me out? Like on a date? I'm confused

Bumped into an old male friend the other day. We hadn't seen each other for a few months so decided to hang out as friends. So he came over to my house for an evening - we ate pizza and watched movies. We spoke for hours and had some really deep conversations and laughs. Nothing remotely sexual happened, but there was a strong chemistry between us. He was very complimentary of me - he complimented my personality, my hair and my figure - I was flattered. This was the first time we'd ever spent time just the two of us, and it was the closest I've ever felt to him.

The next morning he texted me saying that he had a great time and he'd like to meet up again. He suggested Tuesday next week and said "we should go out for a drink". Some people might interpret this as a date, but because we're already friends, I'm not sure how to see it.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

If he says go out for a drink, he probably means go out for a drink.
Original post by Ed's Balls
If he says go out for a drink, he probably means go out for a drink.

Is that what you and your wife do after a few weeks apart? You know since you are at home a lot while she is busy working. :tongue:
Reply 3
Drink.

If we break down the word we are left with D, R, I, N and K.

By using conical-calculation we can presume that R, I and K are excluded due to opposite-occlusion. This leaves us with D and N, now N is often used as a filler formula, and is only ever taken into account when accompanied by a number. Due to this we can safely assume he wants to have sex with you.
If you don't see him as more than friends, then yeah. "Gently" let him down :lol:
I think you should go alone and find out :wink: he probably wants to test the waters.. see it as a pre-date date ^^ after a couple of drinks you'll find out either way :biggrin:
oooooo someone has a crush
Original post by william walker
Is that what you and your wife do after a few weeks apart? You know since you are at home a lot while she is busy working. :tongue:

Oh yes, drinking to forget 👌
Original post by Ed's Balls
Oh yes, drinking to forget 👌

Oh yeah I forget that is why your wife I looking for company else where because you just spend your time drinking and sitting around the house. :redface: It will get better Ed, I will.
Reply 9
99% of guys asking an old school female friend "for a drink" are secretly hoping it's a date but are too scared to say. He wants you, straight up.

If you want him then go on the date; if you don't then DO NOT emasculate him by putting him in the friend zone. Just reject him so he can man up.
Original post by william walker
Oh yeah I forget that is why your wife I looking for company else where because you just spend your time drinking and sitting around the house. :redface: It will get better Ed, I will.

How would you feel after losing a seat?
Reply 11
Original post by Alex50
99% of guys asking an old school female friend "for a drink" are secretly hoping it's a date but are too scared to say. He wants you, straight up.

If you want him then go on the date; if you don't then DO NOT emasculate him by putting him in the friend zone. Just reject him so he can man up.

I would like it to happen, actually. Always had a bit of a thing for him.. I do value the friendship a lot though. Scared to mess it up and lose him as a friend
Original post by AB25
The next morning he texted me saying that he had a great time and he'd like to meet up again. He suggested Tuesday next week and said "we should go out for a drink". Some people might interpret this as a date, but because we're already friends, I'm not sure how to see it.

What do you think?

he complimented my personality, my hair and my figure

It's a date. Or, put another way: if it isn't, he utterly fails at communication, and you'd be better off single.
(edited 8 years ago)
Take away the connotation that society has embedded into the phrase, and you're left with going out for a drink with a mate.

So go out for a drink with a mate, and stop over-analysing this.
Reply 14
Date
Reply 15
Hard truth but guys are better fit to be friends with guys and girls with girls. Of course you can break the rules, however.

Because you are emotionally attached to this situation, you cannot see how obvious - to someone on the outside - that he is (at the very least) considering a physical or romantic relationship with you; he may even be crazy for you.

Trust me your "friendship" with a guy isn't going to satisfy you if you want more, so if it upsets this friendship, it will probably be best for you both.

Just date the guy, you'll regret playing things safe.
Original post by AB25
Bumped into an old male friend the other day. We hadn't seen each other for a few months so decided to hang out as friends. So he came over to my house for an evening - we ate pizza and watched movies. We spoke for hours and had some really deep conversations and laughs. Nothing remotely sexual happened, but there was a strong chemistry between us. He was very complimentary of me - he complimented my personality, my hair and my figure - I was flattered. This was the first time we'd ever spent time just the two of us, and it was the closest I've ever felt to him.

What do you think?

Go on Tuesday and find out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
He's up for it with you for sure.
Asked girls out for drinks before and I've very often meant it as a date. Very often they have perceived it that way - nowadays I would make it clear it's a date beforehand though
Its a date. As a guy I find it less natural to actually say its a date, I imply it with that. I mean honestly, if he said he really enjoyed the convo or whatever that means he likes you and then if he asks to meet again for drinks that is most likely a date.

If you aren't into him that way don't lead him on. If you just want a platonic friendship its probably not going to happen sorry.

Latest