Scotty 117
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Here is my situation which I really need clarified ASAP.

I have been to uni and will soon finished a 4th year of undergrad masters.

My aim is to go on and do a Graduate Entry Medicine Course.
The situation of student finance and GEM courses is unique from my understanding of things:
The situation as I understand is I can take out a loan to cover 2/3rds of tuition fees and I think also a maintenance loan.

I was lucky enough to be in the position where I didn't need to take out a tuition nor maintenance loan of any kind from student finance to fund my undergraduate masters.

Because I did not take out a loan of any kind for my undergraduate studies can I take out a full tuition loan (+maintenance loan?) for a Graduate Entry Medical Course?

Here is where an extra level of confusion needs clearing up:
As we now have postgraduate loans would THAT cover Graduate Entry Medical Courses as Graduate Entry Courses are technically postgraduate... yet they aren't... because you are studying an accelerated undergraduate course??

I really need this situation clarified very soon as planning my finances is incredibly important and there is nothing ANYWHERE that helps explain the situation.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

The situation is this: in the first year you'll receive a means tested maintenance loan and a tuition fee loan of up to £5535, you'll have to find the other £3465 in fees yourself. In years 2-4 you'll receive a reduced rate maintenance loan and an NHS bursary plus a tuition fee loan of £5535. In addition, the NHS will also pay the other £3465 of your tuition fees in years 2-4. The fact that you self-funded your first degree will not be considered and as this is technically an undergraduate degree you won't be eligible for any post-graduate funding.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (36)
25.71%
No (104)
74.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise