Popular websites for renting a private room in UK? (flat share)

Watch
dimahagem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I´m from Germany and will study in York soon.
Can anybody give me an advice for popular websites in UK, where I can search for private room offers with monthly payment?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely
dimahagem
nemoshish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
rightmove.com or zoopla.com
dimahagem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you very much!!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd really recommend living in halls if you have that option - it allows you to avoid all the pitfalls (false deposit fraud, bad landlords, damp, vermin etc etc).

However, if you cannot / will not live in halls, then NEVER rent a house without seeing it in person first. The renting culture in the UK is not the same as it is in Germany - it's not well regulated, and problems are pretty much the norm.

With regards to websites, have a look at spare room, Facebook, zoopla and right move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In addition to the above suggestions, your new uni will have an approved housing list which will have vacancies still!

I would really recommend halls for the first year though.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dimahagem)
Thank you very much!!
SPareroom.co.uk has more private landlords. Zoopla, and the like are often filled with estate ageents. Also look up student accommodation for your particular uni

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
I'd really recommend living in halls if you have that option - it allows you to avoid all the pitfalls (false deposit fraud, bad landlords, damp, vermin etc etc).

However, if you cannot / will not live in halls, then NEVER rent a house without seeing it in person first. The renting culture in the UK is not the same as it is in Germany - it's not well regulated, and problems are pretty much the norm.

With regards to websites, have a look at spare room, Facebook, zoopla and right move.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would just like to say sometimes you have no choice BUT to not see the house "in person" As a student, perhaps you dont have that, but if you're not a student, then well there may be a situation where you have to work at x place really quickly and NEED a place NOW.

The private landlords are more "regualted" if you go to the uni approved ones as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (46)
18.11%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (71)
27.95%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (96)
37.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (32)
12.6%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.54%

Watched Threads