OGGUS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Next year in year 12 I would like to do an EPQ in Chemical Engineering.
Could anyone help me out on this what it is and everything someone told me about it and I forgot who.
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OGGUS)
Next year in year 12 I would like to do an EPQ in Chemical Engineering.
Could anyone help me out on this what it is and everything someone told me about it and I forgot who.
Hi, are you looking for information on what the EPQ involves?
OGGUS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi, are you looking for information on what the EPQ involves?
yeah pretty much
WannaBMedStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did my EPQ on a topic to do with Child Cancer Survivors and I got an A* so I think I know a thing or two.

Basically it's a project involving an essay, presentation and the completion of this thing called a production log which is as the name suggests; it documents your journey through researching and developing your title. There are all sorts of requirements, e.g. your title needs to be specific but nothing that' on any A-Level Specification. Check the website out for more.

As you haven't actually started it yet, I would suggest researching what it is exactly about the topic that interests you and check out my youtube video of my best tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzz4bX9F4co

But feel free to pm me for anymore questions or advice.
GOOD LUCK x
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OGGUS)
yeah pretty much
(This info is for AQA, it may be different for other exam boards)

Basically, the most common way of completing an EPQ is to write an essay approximately 5000 words long, in addition to doing a presentation on your chosen topic. You can also make an artifact (e.g. a piece of music, a sculpture etc), do a performance or create a design, and for each of these you also write a shorter essay. For chemical engineering though the 5000 word essay and presentation would probably be best.

For the essay, you choose a title in the form of a question for which you can provide arguments for and against, and structure the essay by introducing the topics to be discussed, discussing the arguments and forming a conclusion at the end. The presentation is usually a Powerpoint presentation, given after you've completed the essay, basically summing up the main arguments and conclusions in the essay.

As well as writing the essay and doing the presentation, you'll also need to fill in a Log Book. The Log Book is where you talk about what you've done so far in your essay, changes you've made and why, improvements you will make etc, at the start, middle and end of the project. Be aware though that while the Log Book is VERY repetitive and tedious, it's important to fill it in thoroughly, as the Log Book is where the majority of marks are awarded.

I personally did my EPQ on whether the asteroid extinction theory provides the best explanation for the extinction of the dinosaurs, compared to other theories, which I got an A for. I hope you find this useful, and if you have any more questions, I will try my best to answer them
OGGUS
Rep:
?

Basically, the most common way of completing an EPQ is to write an essay approximately 5000 words long, in addition to doing a presentation on your chosen topic. You can also make an artifact (e.g. a piece of music, a sculpture etc), do a performance or create a design, and for each of these you also write a shorter essay. For chemical engineering though the 5000 word essay and presentation would probably be best.

For the essay, you choose a title in the form of a question for which you can provide arguments for and against, and structure the essay by introducing the topics to be discussed, discussing the arguments and forming a conclusion at the end. The presentation is usually a Powerpoint presentation, given after you've completed the essay, basically summing up the main arguments and conclusions in the essay.

As well as writing the essay and doing the presentation, you'll also need to fill in a Log Book. The Log Book is where you talk about what you've done so far in your essay, changes you've made and why, improvements you will make etc, at the start, middle and end of the project. Be aware though that while the Log Book is VERY repetitive and tedious, it's important to fill it in thoroughly, as the Log Book is where the majority of marks are awarded.

I personally did my EPQ on whether the asteroid extinction theory provides the best explanation for the extinction of the dinosaurs, compared to other theories, which I got an A for. I hope you find this useful, and if you have any more questions, I will try my best to answer them
Thanks, I really need to know what it was about, I'll definitely do these qualification.
Edminzodo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm doing OCR but thanks for this. It's really helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OGGUS
Rep:
?
(Original post by WannaBMedStudent)
I did my EPQ on a topic to do with Child Cancer Survivors and I got an A* so I think I know a thing or two.

Basically it's a project involving an essay, presentation and the completion of this thing called a production log which is as the name suggests; it documents your journey through researching and developing your title. There are all sorts of requirements, e.g. your title needs to be specific but nothing that' on any A-Level Specification. Check the website out for more.

As you haven't actually started it yet, I would suggest researching what it is exactly about the topic that interests you and check out my youtube video of my best tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzz4bX9F4co

But feel free to pm me for anymore questions or advice.
GOOD LUCK x
thanks man
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (89)
64.49%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.51%

Watched Threads