fit for new season Watch

richcoach87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi I though I was fit but I was shocked when playing pre season.

I currently do weight training sun - tue - thur all pros
I do field hockey wed - fri currently

so I'm exercising 5 days a week at a high intensity but I just cant keep up with my field hockey I play for about 1.5 hours and the last 30-40 mins I'm pooped.

Is there any other cardio I should do during the week, few jogs bike etc?

or shall I stick with what I'm doing and just push harder in hockey and the fitness will come??

thanks
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All Pro is often agreed to be a bit ****. It's also aimed for looks not sports performance. Obviously your choice but so you know.

The fitness will come, it's a question of how long it takes. You could do some after lifting. You do then need to think about recovery, if you are loosing weight it'll be harder but if you are eating and sleeping well it should be fine. If your legs start to feel beat up and you want to priorities cardio then think about changing to a programme that doesn't do legs every session- sprint after legs, gain more rest days for them.
richcoach87
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
All Pro is often agreed to be a bit ****. It's also aimed for looks not sports performance. Obviously your choice but so you know.

The fitness will come, it's a question of how long it takes. You could do some after lifting. You do then need to think about recovery, if you are loosing weight it'll be harder but if you are eating and sleeping well it should be fine. If your legs start to feel beat up and you want to priorities cardio then think about changing to a programme that doesn't do legs every session- sprint after legs, gain more rest days for them.
Why is all pros considered ****? Out of interest
I was doing stronglifts but my legs couldn't hack the constant increase of weight on squats etc.

What would be a better sports related weight routine?
I always try and do compound movements
Thanks
zyzzyspirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
All Pros as in the program where you add a rep to your sets each week?
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by richcoach87)
Why is all pros considered ****? Out of interest
I was doing stronglifts but my legs couldn't hack the constant increase of weight on squats etc.

What would be a better sports related weight routine?
I always try and do compound movements
Thanks
Many, many reasons
old thread on it

I'd recommend SL over it, possible with tweaks or maybe you were actually ready to move on. Where did you get to with SL? like how long were you doing it, weight your were up to, were you stalling (not making the reps), in what sense could your legs not hack it,had you deloaded
richcoach87
Rep:
?
(Original post by zyzzyspirit)
All Pros as in the program where you add a rep to your sets each week?
indeed
richcoach87
Rep:
?
(Original post by BKS)
Many, many reasons
old thread on it

I'd recommend SL over it, possible with tweaks or maybe you were actually ready to move on. Where did you get to with SL? like how long were you doing it, weight your were up to, were you stalling (not making the reps), in what sense could your legs not hack it,had you deloaded
the whole weight lifting things is confusing, its different on everybody.

I got to 65kg bench, squats 100kg, deads 120kg press 40kg rows 65kg

cant squat heavier I fail every time. I tried 3x5 still failed, I deloaded from 105 to 100 again and hit 5x5. tried again and then deloaded. I'm also stuck on press and bench also up down etc. I'm only 11.5 stone on a diet of 2700 calories ish. I'm 6ft. 28 years old.

I also in season play hockey on a Saturday and from squatting on the Friday it affects my performance on Saturdays
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It sounds like stamina is the issue, so why not add a HIIT session and maybe a run of an hour or so?

Although if you're playing hockey 3 times a week and pushing yourself than you're probably getting enough interval training as it is.

Also, do you ever take rest weeks?
richcoach87
Rep:
?
(Original post by offhegoes)
It sounds like stamina is the issue, so why not add a HIIT session and maybe a run of an hour or so?

Although if you're playing hockey 3 times a week and pushing yourself than you're probably getting enough interval training as it is.

Also, do you ever take rest weeks?
from hockey no I play all year round to a certain extent maybe a few weeks off for work commitments/holidays and keeping the partner happy.

weights yes every 8 weeks roughly
BKS
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by richcoach87)
the whole weight lifting things is confusing, its different on everybody.

I got to 65kg bench, squats 100kg, deads 120kg press 40kg rows 65kg

cant squat heavier I fail every time. I tried 3x5 still failed, I deloaded from 105 to 100 again and hit 5x5. tried again and then deloaded. I'm also stuck on press and bench also up down etc. I'm only 11.5 stone on a diet of 2700 calories ish. I'm 6ft. 28 years old.

I also in season play hockey on a Saturday and from squatting on the Friday it affects my performance on Saturdays
I'm was about the same size and gave up on SL around the same point. I regret it though, there's still some slogging it out in there but it gets tougher. Id deload by 10% and consider halving the increment after that. If it were just legs that were struggling I'd say drop squats to twice a week but it sounds more all round

After that or if you really don't want to push it then you'd be better moving to an intermediate programme. Probably one that doesn't do legs every session since you do a fair bit cardio.

531 and juggernaut are the ones that come to mind cause I've done them but there are others. The jaugernaut website has an article section with a filter for training for athletes- eg folk not getting strong for its own sake- that you may we'll find useful regardless of what you do
richcoach87
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=BKS;58279829]I'm was about the same size and gave up on SL around the same point. I regret it though, there's still some slogging it out in there but it gets tougher. Id deload by 10% and consider halving the increment after that. If it were just legs that were struggling I'd say drop squats to twice a week but it sounds more all round

After that or if you really don't want to push it then you'd be better moving to an intermediate programme. Probably one that doesn't do legs every session since you do a fair bit cardio.

531 and juggernaut are the ones that come to mind cause I've done them but there are others. The jaugernaut website has an article section with a filter for training for athletes- eg folk not getting strong for its own sake- that you may we'll find useful regardless of what you do[/QUOTE

cheers for the help il look it up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads

Latest