Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I was wondering, you know how some people are really clever and good at stuff yet they have no self belief in themselves........... well why is this? What causes their self confidence to be so low when their close friends and family really believe in them? And ideas would be interesting!

Lou
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    It's either modesty or the fear that they won't live up to the great expectations placed on them. You do feel the pressure at the top.

(Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    their close friends and family really believe in them
    This causes too much expectation to be placed upon them maybe??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    This causes too much expectation to be placed upon them maybe??? :confused:
    definately in my case, my mum thinks i can get As, i think i'll do well to get Bs.

lou xxx

(Original post by XTinaA)
    You do feel the pressure at the top.
    Sounded slightly arrogant, don't think you meant it in the way in which I read it though!!!

(Original post by lou p lou)
    definately in my case, my mum thinks i can get As, i think i'll do well to get Bs.

lou xxx
    People seem to expect the similar of me but I really can't be arsed trying to live up to the ideal anymore, I'll be happy if I get a place at a good university that I like and anything else is a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Sounded slightly arrogant, don't think you meant it in the way in which I read it though!!!
    Grr not that arrogance charge again! Unlike those people the thread-starter described, I do believe in myself, and I know what I'm capable of. But I am relatively numb from the expectations of others, I know what I want so screw them if I flop in their eyes.

And err, there's definitely less pressure lying down...

Grr not that arrogance charge again! Unlike those people the thread-starter described, I do believe in myself, and I know what I'm capable of. But I am relatively numb from the expectations of others, I know what I want so screw them if I flop in their eyes.

And err, there's definitely less pressure lying down...
    This creates a much more lovely picture of your character as well as being as good thing for people to listen to. As long as you achieve what you deserve / are capable of then the rest really doesnt mean much.

PS - Think I missed that other thread you were talking about.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    This creates a much more lovely picture of your character as well as being as good thing for people to listen to. As long as you achieve what you deserve / are capable of then the rest really doesnt mean much.

PS - Think I missed that other thread you were talking about.... :confused:
    Why thank you very much.

And err, never mind...

ReputationRep:
    Xtina, what you said was incredible. It may sound stupid but deep down i am happy being me and having the grades and interests that i have, but people constantly want me to be something else or expect something different. Friends expect me to get A*'s with no work, parents expect me to spend all my time studying and my friends also want me to not have interests in geeky things like science. Well i do, so stuff them, i should be happy with me and not change myself for them. Thanks for that lol, that really helped!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Glad to have been of some sort of assistance

ReputationRep:
    It was definately the pressure last year which enabled me to get the grades I did. Didn't want to let my family, friends, teachers... and myself down

ReputationRep:
    It's either modesty or the fear that they won't live up to the great expectations placed on them. You do feel the pressure at the top.
    haha, you think youre at the top eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    It was definately the pressure last year which enabled me to get the grades I did. Didn't want to let my family, friends, teachers... and myself down
    Pressure is crap When you're at a school where a lot less than half the people there actually get C's in 5 or more subjects and you get predicted A*'s and A's it kinda stinks, when most of the years that you've spent there you've never been stretched or felt that you've actually really learnt anything and then you're meant to get an A* in the subject...

Sorry just me moaning and sounding like a muppet

ReputationRep:
    Yees, now I'm on study leave and in control of my own work I have realised what a waste of time 14 years at school was.

MB

P.S. the reason clever people are not self confident is because either they've worked out that arrogance is highly unattractive or they're frightened they won't do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Yees, now I'm on study leave and in control of my own work I have realised what a waste of time 14 years at school was.

MB

P.S. the reason clever people are not self confident is because either they've worked out that arrogance is highly unattractive or they're frightened they won't do well.
    i'm clever and arrogant and i know i am going to do well. this is the virtue of as levels, work hard in year 12 and don't go to school in year 13 because if you get an A at as you only need a C in year 13.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.