The Student Room Group

Can I apply to these medical schools with this UKCAT score?

Hi there.

I sat my UKCAT this morning, obtaining a score that was lower than I had hoped: an average of 620 (total of 2480) and Band-1 in Situational Judgement.

I have had my heart set on the following universities for a while now and hope that, despite my disappointing score, I will still be able to apply to them.

1. Manchester - I am aware that they pay close attention to their applicants' UKCAT scores, however their 'cut-off' last year was 2450, which I therefore meet. Having said that, is their cut-off likely to go up this year? Should I simply avoid Manchester, or am I still in with a chance?

2. Liverpool - this is the first year they've required the UKCAT for entry to the A100 course, so I feel I should still be okay with this medical school?

3. Keele - I found this information on an official UKCAT document: "for 2016 entry, applicants with total UKCAT scores in the lowest two deciles will not be considered. The threshold for 2015 applicants would have been 2,310."... am I safe with Keele?

4. Nottingham - this medical school scores each applicants UKCAT score in a unique way, and I would still obtain a decent score (7 out of a possible 9) through their system, would you agree I'm safe with Nottingham?

I suppose my question is:
Is my UKCAT score awful? Am I going to struggle with any of my university choices because of it?

Thanks in advance. If you want any other academic information, please do ask.
TS
It's impossible to say if your ukcat will be sufficient or not seeing as many people haven't sat the test yet. Use this as very rough guidance only

1) manchesters 2450 ukcat cut off last year was for people with contextual flags eg those in care, socioeconomic things etc. If you don't have those flags the cutoff was 2560

2) first year Lpool is using ukcat and they haven't to my knowledge said how they'll be using the ukcat. Worth a shot applying here.

3) Keele say they won't consider anyone who scores in the bottom 20%. Last year that was 2310. Impossible to say at this stage what this years cutoff will be. Again worth a shot applying here

4) don't know how Notts use ukcat so can't comment

No one can give you a definitive answer of whether your ukcat is enough as everything is relative to the other applicants. Like I said earlier many people are yet to sit the test.
Reply 2
Original post by Nucleotide
It's impossible to say if your ukcat will be sufficient or not seeing as many people haven't sat the test yet. Use this as very rough guidance only

1) manchesters 2450 ukcat cut off last year was for people with contextual flags eg those in care, socioeconomic things etc. If you don't have those flags the cutoff was 2560

2) first year Lpool is using ukcat and they haven't to my knowledge said how they'll be using the ukcat. Worth a shot applying here.

3) Keele say they won't consider anyone who scores in the bottom 20%. Last year that was 2310. Impossible to say at this stage what this years cutoff will be. Again worth a shot applying here

4) don't know how Notts use ukcat so can't comment

No one can give you a definitive answer of whether your ukcat is enough as everything is relative to the other applicants. Like I said earlier many people are yet to sit the test.

Yeah, I think the contextual flags apply to me for Manchester, so do you think it is still worth applying there? Obviously I'd have met last year's cut-off, but is it too close for comfort, do you think?

And thank you for the other advice, you've given me some more peace of mind. I think I'll still apply to at least the bottom three, I'm just dubious about Manchester.
Reply 3
what are your gcse grades?
places like cardiff only use it if two candidates are similar at interview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending