The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have had this for about a year where sometimes get bad stomach cramping pain when I go to the toilet. I have found that not eating late at night and eating lots of spinach / lettuce during the day helps. What have other people found helps them?

I'm not saying that you should do this, but I know somebody who smokes cannabis in order to cope with it haha.
It's not a cure but it's helped - it's called bimuno and it comes in sachets you put in a hot drink. It costs £10 for 28 sachets from boots and you take it every day :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Hevachan
It's not a cure but it's helped - it's called bimuno and it comes in sachets you put in a hot drink. It costs £10 for 28 sachets from boots and you take it every day :smile:

Thanks i'll try it. I've found taking Buscopan when I get the pain stops it completely, I think it's the #1 IBS medication
I found meat in general aggravate it. And seafood occasionally helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really, but I do drink a lot of water and avoid eating too much dairy. Also my IBS only started once I went on the contraceptive pill - and I've heard of someone else this happened to - go figure!
Reply 6
Doubt it IBS is not even real it's just a name doctors give to conditions they do not really know about. They think they can cure everyones problems with a pill.
Original post by Mancini
Doubt it IBS is not even real it's just a name doctors give to conditions they do not really know about. They think they can cure everyones problems with a pill.

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks i'll try it. I've found taking Buscopan when I get the pain stops it completely, I think it's the #1 IBS medication

Bimuno isnt for pain it's more of a prevention :smile: it helps regulate your bowels and reduces symptoms
I found drinking water, eating healthier, avoiding things with pure sugar (no fat) and trying not to get stressed really helped me. Exercise can also help, as well as increasing fibre (especially if you get constipation with it) helps. Visit your doctor. They can give you pain relief for the cramps and maybe give you soluble fibre to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mancini

There aren't pills (not for me anyway) that help.

I've found that yoghurt helps.
Have you tried antispasmodics or been referred for hypnosis?
[QUOTE=Mancini;58296403]Doubt it IBS is not even real it's just a name doctors give to conditions they do not really know about. They think they can cure everyones problems with a pill.

It's very much real.

Rubbish post.
Buscopan practically always works for me when I feel cramping coming on. It takes around an hour to take effect but it generally works before it gets very bad.
Original post by Mancini

1. There is no 'pill' for IBS, so tell me again how we're trying to name it to treat it with a 'pill'.

2. When a 'pill' is tried, it's often a capsule of peppermint oil. I.e. not even a 'pill', but a natural remedy. Otherwise, over-the-counter symptom relief is available for flare-ups, such as common remedies for diarrhoea or constipation as and when someone needs them.

3. IBS is a clinical diagnosis. Just because we check there's no colon cancer or horrible things first, doesn't mean that it's not a diagnosis in itself - we just think that you'd probably like to know if you have some horrible tumour in your bowel before IBS is diagnosed.

4. IBS is a condition mostly associated with a chronic, low-grade immune reaction confined to the gut lining. People mainly find that certain types of food or drink trigger or aggravate it, which is why OP and others in this thread discuss what makes it better and worse for them - there isn't a universal foodstuff that aggravates IBS in everybody, though there are some common ones worth adapting the diet around to see if it helps. Many people also find increasing the amount of fiber in their diet is very beneficial.

You evidently have a medical-chip-on-the-shoulder, so I'll let you go back to ****posting now.
Reply 15
Original post by BlindingLight
It's very much real.

Rubbish post.

I'm not saying people are not actually feeling anything or they don't have a condition. Just that doctors will give a varied amount of different people all dealing with different degrees of a condition maybe even different symptoms this diagnosis then put you on some pills, it's all a bit sketchy.
I got IBS too and it forces me into the toilet too much with a stomach ache. I have absoloutely no source or proof of this but i met some Sage type of old man once lol in the middle east and he recommended i drink 2-3 cups of water a day on an empty stomach and wait for up to an hour before having breakfast. It seems to help alot i dont know if his method works, or im just fooling myself into placebo magic haha.
Reply 17
Original post by donutaud15
I found meat in general aggravate it. And seafood occasionally helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. I can vouch that things are so much better since moving to a vegetarian diet. Apparently meat is one of the hardest types of food to digest, also in terms of just tending to eat more fruits and vegetables you get more fibre, which can also be a factor as others have mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joey...
This. I can vouch that things are so much better since moving to a vegetarian diet. Apparently meat is one of the hardest types of food to digest, also in terms of just tending to eat more fruits and vegetables you get more fibre, which can also be a factor as others have mentioned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! I've found this too. Dairy also seems to mess me around..

I'm considering leaning towards a vegan based diet for the new term, since it seems to keep things calmer. Lost far too much sleep to IBS last year. :/
Reply 19
Original post by Friar Chris
1. There is no 'pill' for IBS, so tell me again how we're trying to name it to treat it with a 'pill'.

2. When a 'pill' is tried, it's often a capsule of peppermint oil. I.e. not even a 'pill', but a natural remedy. Otherwise, over-the-counter symptom relief is available for flare-ups, such as common remedies for diarrhoea or constipation as and when someone needs them.

3. IBS is a clinical diagnosis. Just because we check there's no colon cancer or horrible things first, doesn't mean that it's not a diagnosis in itself - we just think that you'd probably like to know if you have some horrible tumour in your bowel before IBS is diagnosed.

4. IBS is a condition mostly associated with a chronic, low-grade immune reaction confined to the gut lining. People mainly find that certain types of food or drink trigger or aggravate it, which is why OP and others in this thread discuss what makes it better and worse for them - there isn't a universal foodstuff that aggravates IBS in everybody, though there are some common ones worth adapting the diet around to see if it helps. Many people also find increasing the amount of fiber in their diet is very beneficial.

You evidently have a medical-chip-on-the-shoulder, so I'll let you go back to ****posting now.

I think you need to calm down and stop insulting people I'm as entitled to speak of my view on it as much as anyone else. Unless of course this is an indoctrination thread were we must all have the same views, which would make the whole discussion pointless. I think IBS diagnosis is lazy at best, all part of the new pill cure culture.

I must just lol at the fibre increase comment literally you find that crap written on every IBS site and told to you by doctors.

Edit: lol no pill for IBS

Colpermin is advertised on the package as IBS relief. Come on cut the crap I'm not making this up. There are probably more medicines out there claiming the same thing.

Least I am not spreading lies. Sounds like you are trying to defend yourself , I wonder what you have in this.

I'll just end by telling people just read around any medicine you take. The only person that cares most about your health is you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending