Forgot to reply to someones text for a week, how should I reply now? :/

Watch
tootles44
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yeah so I kinda keep putting it off and now it's been like a week Feel bad for not replying but honestly I absolutely despise texting and all it's small talk unless we're actually making plans or conveying information. What should I do, just reply like normal?

I feel like they might see through my excuse if I made any and be insulted that I only just remembered to reply ..
Melancholy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Say that you were busy with your trumpet at band camp and she will understand.
N-R-G
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Say you h8 txtg? idk?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tell them you momentarily forgot about their existence
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's not that deep. If you don't want to reply, don't. If you do, do so normally. Like would you stress this much over replying to an email you received a week ago?
User2082079
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tootles44)
“Feel bad for not replying but honestly I absolutely despise texting and all it's small talk unless we're actually making plans or conveying information.”
Say that. I didn't receive a reply for up to a month, and the person replied with an apology. As long as the one you're speaking to is understanding, you shouldn't have to worry. Just be honest, because this won't be the first time you put it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely, you didnt do anything wrong. Just reply as you usually do, you could maybe insert 'sorry for the late reply' at the end of the text but you don't need to make an excuse or anything. I doubt they'll think anything of it or make a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tell them you were too busy texting someone else.

tootles44
Rep:
?
(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
It's not that deep. If you don't want to reply, don't. If you do, do so normally. Like would you stress this much over replying to an email you received a week ago?
I wouldn't but I only receive emails from people I don't personally know I.e. company employees.

Someone who initiated a fb convo knows me personally and so I don't want to go around pissing people off by not replying especially since I made an excuse to this person before too, although I will admit I do have a habit of overthinking things and assuming the worst :/
tootles44
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anon_98)
Absolutely, you didnt do anything wrong. Just reply as you usually do, you could maybe insert 'sorry for the late reply' at the end of the text but you don't need to make an excuse or anything. I doubt they'll think anything of it or make a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I replied really late tot their last message too and gave a reason then, don't want to keep making excuses and apologising :/

Also someone who initiated a fb convo knows me personally and so I don't want to go around pissing people off by delaying or not replying to messages and making excuses although I will admit I do have a habit of overthinking things and assuming the worst :/
Vixen47
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Hey, sorry I haven't replied in so long, I've just been stupidly busy. Anyway...." And that's your cue to reply to their text. I get stupidly busy a lot and put off replying to texts and things a lot so this is how I reply to those texts. It's straight forward and it explains that you've been busy. It ticks all the boxes. :yy:
chickenonsteroids
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't but I only receive emails from people I don't personally know I.e. company employees.

Someone who initiated a fb convo knows me personally and so I don't want to go around pissing people off by not replying especially since I made an excuse to this person before too, although I will admit I do have a habit of overthinking things and assuming the worst :/
I get you. I'd just say a quick sorry and say you're bad with texts/fb. Then continue. You can just call them if need be. Don't worry about it too much, I used to as well but it's not needed.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah just say something like "sorry for late reply, i've seen really busy".
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Lol do you people ever text
If you say you're busy it's going to be obvious that you couldn't be arsed with them for two minutes out of your whole week to text back.
Just say you forgot to press the send button and you just checked the convo because you were wondering why they weren't replying. 1) doesn't make you look like a **** 2) makes you seem like you want to talk to them so you don't make them feel like crap
tootles44
Rep:
?
(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
I get you. I'd just say a quick sorry and say you're bad with texts/fb. Then continue. You can just call them if need be. Don't worry about it too much, I used to as well but it's not needed.
Thanks, appreciate the reassurance It's so easy to worry about this sort of trivial stuff and often only when we're older and in hindsight, do we realise that it's unnecessary and a waste of mental energy!
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I replied really late tot their last message too and gave a reason then, don't want to keep making excuses and apologising :/

Also someone who initiated a fb convo knows me personally and so I don't want to go around pissing people off by delaying or not replying to messages and making excuses although I will admit I do have a habit of overthinking things and assuming the worst :/
I reply to my messages late some of the time when I either cant be bothered or ridiculously busy. I suppose if you dont want to apologise again since you did last time, then just dont. They are your friends and should understand, it'd be silly if they decided to take something that was so simple to heart. Yes, you are most definitely overthinking, it's honestly just a text, send your response over soon and you'll feel much better - you don't need to worry about all the possible bad outcomes bc I assure they won't occur. <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
tootles44
Rep:
?
(Original post by RonnieRJ)
Lol do you people ever text
If you say you're busy it's going to be obvious that you couldn't be arsed with them for two minutes out of your whole week to text back.
Just say you forgot to press the send button and you just checked the convo because you were wondering why they weren't replying. 1) doesn't make you look like a **** 2) makes you seem like you want to talk to them so you don't make them feel like crap
Ooh thats a good one! I've already made an excuse to this person for delaying replying - I hope they understand :/

Yes exactly what I mean! It takes literally two minutes and the reality is that I just couldn't be arsed to reply to the small talk which is kinda rude and a bit ****-ish if someone remembers to text you! Having said that its nothing personal to that person but still I don't wanna go around pissing people off

Personally I don't really mind if people forget to reply to me when having those aimless convos unless I feel like they are avoiding me or if they don't reply to an important text.
rxns_00
Badges: 15
Report 5 years ago
Ooh thats a good one! I've already made an excuse to this person for delaying replying - I hope they understand :/

Yes exactly what I mean! It takes literally two minutes and the reality is that I just couldn't be arsed to reply to the small talk which is kinda rude and a bit ****-ish if someone remembers to text you! Having said that its nothing personal to that person but still I don't wanna go around pissing people off

Personally I don't really mind if people forget to reply to me when having those aimless convos unless I feel like they are avoiding me or if they don't reply to an important text.
Save it for next time, the method saves lives haha
But yeah I know what you mean, sometimes the convo is going nowhere and you just get bored and tired of it. You can always find a way to end the convo and maybe resume it sometime later when you have better topics or when you actually want to talk to them and yes I personally wouldn't mind someone ignoring small talk for a while, but others may be offended by it :/ just never know
MzeeK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yh buttt wot do u say wen they mention u blanking them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
18.8%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.53%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.84%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.85%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.13%
Taster lectures or seminars (75)
21.37%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
23.08%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.7%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.7%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.28%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.99%

Watched Threads