The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
groovy_moose
well, they can say two different things. "my asking" is querying whether the person minds the action of your asking. "me asking" refers either to the same thing (as in 'asking', and as it happens you are doing it), or to whether they mind you, specifically, asking (if there's emphasis on the 'me'...)...

Good to know! :smile:
Laus
I achieved 541/600 (will have to double check) in Philosophy... I think it worked out to around 90%. Is that considered low my Cambridge standards? Someone said most people achieve 600/600

Yeah that's about 90% and would be considered a very good mark, so don't worry about it. Whoever said most people achieve 600/600 needs to get their facts straight- most people will have 540+ like you, but I wouldn't say 600/600 is that common- even by Cambridge standards.
Reply 22
He said most students!! I did think it was a bit high. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.. I'm just going to aim to do the best I can. Excuse the typo - 'low by Cambridge' ops... :smile:
Reply 23
At the moment I'm fairly sure Cambridge only look at grades and not UMS anyway. (which suits me fine as I didn't get 90% in any of my A-levels and got the A in History by 1%) though I think that might change soon.
Reply 24
Someone told me that Cambridge do but Oxford don't. Why is this guy stressing so much about the UMS mark then?:s-smilie:

He seemed to know what he was talking about...
Cambridge do look at UMS marks...they did last year anyway and I'm assuming it's still the case.

Yeah they're important I guess, but if someone was to scrape As and do really well in the interview I think Cambridge would prefer that to getting 600/600 and a poor interview.
cambridge look at AS marks, yo have to write them on the extra quetsionaire thing. but they don't currently get a-level ums, as far as i know.
Reply 27
That's a point - I'd forgotten about the college application form. They don't make offers based on UMS yet though do they?
no, although i think it might be coming in in the next couple of years
Reply 29
Are some colleges easier to get into than others?
In some ways yes, but as i heard before playing the number game is very risky as it can result in severe fluctuations from year to year. The best thing to do is look around all the colleges and find one you really like. Next step is to find a subject that you are most passionate about.
Reply 31
ExamNailer
In some ways yes, but as i heard before playing the number game is very risky as it can result in severe fluctuations from year to year. The best thing to do is look around all the colleges and find one you really like. Next step is to find a subject that you are most passionate about.

Hmm, wouldn't it make more sense to pick a subject before you pick a university (let alone a college), though - especially if you intend to be "passionate" about it?:confused:
Sorry about the ordering there, i did not know this forum was run in such a dictatorial way. I would have chosen the college first actually as i would already know what subject i was interested in, it barely bears mention. Therefore when looking at Cambridge the first thing i would do is see which college i thought i would be happy at, rather than ending up at Robinson's at preferring to go to Bristol (sorry that's only my opinion). Everyone to their own opinion though right?
Reply 33
ExamNailer, you're starting to get on my nerves! I'm asking people who are already at Cambridge... not those who ramble on about their excellent grades and then proceed to talk about Oxbridge as if they're already there!
I think you are getting on my nerves also but i don't publicy announce it. My best friend is at Cambridge and i frequently visit him so actually i know more than you may have first thought. Good luck on your application though...:p:
ExamNailer
Sorry about the ordering there, i did not know this forum was run in such a dictatorial way. I would have chosen the college first actually as i would already know what subject i was interested in, it barely bears mention. Therefore when looking at Cambridge the first thing i would do is see which college i thought i would be happy at, rather than ending up at Robinson's at preferring to go to Bristol (sorry that's only my opinion). Everyone to their own opinion though right?

You keep contradicting yourself...

Laus: statistically, it does look as if some colleges are more competitive than others (I think it ranges from some colleges having about 10 applicants per place to some having about 2 applicants per place some year). However, this doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the applicants which is what matters. So in theory, the colleges with 2 applicants per place could actually be harder to get into than the others if the applicants were really very strong. You just never know. Go for the college you like, basically.
Reply 36
Whatever you say, ExamNailer... At least 3 people have implied that you are getting on their nerves! There isn't anything wrong with coming out and saying so. I know people that have gone to Cambridge too, big deal. You don't read the thread before you write in them and you often repeat the same old questions/presumptions that have been brought up in the past. I think the nasty comment you said to that new girl yesterday is still lingering in my mind. How do you think you made her feel? I would never put someone down because they got lower grades that I did...
Reply 37
Thanks, Jigglypuff < great name by the way :smile: That's really helpful. I guess there isn't much point in applying to a college just for the sake of it. What made you choose Kings?
I did not deliberately do her down on purpose and i deleted it 10 seconds afterwards. I have already said I'm truly sorry for any offence caused. I doubt she even saw it. Jiggly is right to say that each college differs in applicants, but then so does the academic ability of them. You will never know who you are up against and therefore chose the subject you most enjoy and then the college (yes jiggly you were right!). I never asked what you are interested in reading? I seem to remember one of them being law any others?
Reply 39
You are at King's aren't you? Sorry, I could have you mixed up with someone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending