The Student Room Group

How many students last year got into their firm choice and how many to insurance?

Percentage wise? And what percentage overall went into Clearing.

Does anyone know please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by handcream

Does anyone know please?

Sure there was a poll on last years results thread - might give you some idea.

Does anyone know please?

@PQ One for you.
Commenting so I watch the thread
Not sure, actually. The whole system needs rehauling, and I do think that maybe we need a US style model whereby people take exams and get results first before applying to universities. SO many people (an increase year after year, I can say) aren't meeting their offers. When my sister got her results in 2009, I would say less than ten percent of people in her year went through clearing. I went to the same school, left in 2013, and I can say that nearly 45% of students went through clearing or to their insurance. It is ridiculous.
Put in enough work/extenuating circumstances% got into their firm choices.
Didn't put in enough work% missed out and went to their insurance/gap year.

That's about as accurate as you need in terms of percentages. Hoping for a high percentage of students in their firm choices might make you feel better, but the number is irrelevant. If you haven't got the grades or at least close to it, you aren't getting in, so the percentage of others who are getting in doesn't matter.

The time to worry about this sort of thing has pasted months ago, so may as well relax now, the time for nerves and anxiety has been and gone, it is 100% out of your hands now. There's another useful percentage for you.
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/14-aug-14-overview-all.pdf

About 55% of applicants were placed with their firm on results day
About 4% placed with their insurance

16% had no clear decision (ie the firm was still conditional OR their firm rejected them and their insurance was still conditional)
24% in clearing

The rest already had places through clearing etc

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/29-aug-14-overview-all.pdf Shows the same things a few weeks later when only 5% of applicants were still in limbo
In 2014 the entry figures were:

Firm: 372,200
Insurance: 36,700
Extra: 7,600
Clearing (missed offers): 47,500
Clearing (direct): 13,800
Adjustment: 1,200

I got those from the UCAS 'End of cycle report 2014', which gives a lot more info on how those patterns relate to previous years, so look at that for more detail.
It's worth remembering that a LOT of applicants end up in clearing who aren't actively looking for a place

Any applicant who doesn't accept any offer because they've decided to do something else is placed in clearing- UCAS assume that everyone unplaced is still looking and don't differentiate
Original post by PQ

Any applicant who doesn't accept any offer because they've decided to do something else is placed in clearing- UCAS assume that everyone unplaced is still looking and don't differentiate

No this isn't actually the case.

You need to make it clear that you want to be released into clearing if you decided to reject the insurance offer. Because it is possible for them to leave your application dead in the water for the remainder of the UCAS cycle. This is speaking from experience.

Does anyone know please?

For the definitive answer, you need to look at this UCAS report:

https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2014-end-of-cycle-report-dec-14.pdf , particularly pages 40-48.

Page 40 starts by saying that around 70% of people who started university last autumn got there by being accepted onto their firm choice (presumably including those who just missed their offer but were accepted anyway).

Page 42 points out that the typical percentages going to a firm offer, an insurance offer, a clearing offer or an adjustment offer will be very much influenced by the grades achieved.

Page 48 perhaps directly answers your query - if rejected by the firm choice, then typically one third are accepted by their insurance. So, taking a very broad view and not looking more deeply into the report, say 30% rejected by firm, and so 10% overall accepted onto insurance - of the remaining 20%, perhaps most would try to get an offer through clearing.

Sorry, probably all said above in answers 6 to 10 which weren't there when I started the reply!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

You need to make it clear that you want to be released into clearing if you decided to reject the insurance offer. Because it is possible for them to leave your application dead in the water for the remainder of the UCAS cycle. This is speaking from experience.

I'm talking about applicants who fail to accept any offer as firm/ins in the first place - not applicants who accept an offer then change their mind.
Original post by PQ
I'm talking about applicants who fail to accept any offer as firm/ins in the first place - not applicants who accept an offer then change their mind.

I never accepted my offer. As soon as my firm rejected me, by insurance updated to successful. So I rang them and told them that I did not want to go there. Then they left me dead in the water.
Original post by Persipan
In 2014 the entry figures were:

Firm: 372,200
Insurance: 36,700
Extra: 7,600
Clearing (missed offers): 47,500
Clearing (direct): 13,800
Adjustment: 1,200

I got those from the UCAS 'End of cycle report 2014', which gives a lot more info on how those patterns relate to previous years, so look at that for more detail.

So percentages (of the 479000 ending up at university in autumn 2014) were:

(edited 8 years ago)
I never accepted my offer. As soon as my firm rejected me, by insurance updated to successful. So I rang them and told them that I did not want to go there. Then they left me dead in the water.

Yes, but you accepted them to be your firm and insurance; PQ is talking about people who never did that in the first place.
Original post by Persipan
Yes, but you accepted them to be your firm and insurance; PQ is talking about people who never did that in the first place.

ah ok, by bad. I'm a bit rusty with the ucas terminology.
Original post by Holmstock
So percentages (of the 479000 ending up at university in autumn 2014) were:

There were 650,000 applicants in the UCAS scheme on results day last year. Those percentages exclude all the applicants who were unplaced at the end of the cycle.

If i want to be released from my insurance into clearing on results day who do i need to talk to? The uni or UCAS?
Original post by BattleHardened
If i want to be released from my insurance into clearing on results day who do i need to talk to? The uni or UCAS?

The uni.

UCAS should only be contacted on results day if
A) your login to Track isn't working
B) you met your offer (in full) but your uni has rejected you and on contacting your uni they said you're rejected
C) you want to add a clearing choice before 5pm (not a good idea except for in a few circumstances- none of which apply to applicants getting results on Thursday)

That's it.

ANYTHING else you speak directly to your universities. UCAS are just the middleman.
Well a record amount went last year and this year they've removed the caps on the numbet of students who can enrol onto a course. Its quite a sad thing actually because whilst students are dumb enough to think that's a good thing, its the universities who are laughing because it means they can hoover up more loan money and continue to choke the graduate market with an excess of students. So really this is bad news and this year is set to be another record year. Congrats liberals, you got universal access to university. Look what mess you have caused for the country

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending