The Student Room Group

Can my place of work force me to work Christmas day?

I know this is quite early on in the year but I'm a 17 year old A level student and I work at a local pub. I work typically 10-12 hours a week and get paid the basic minimum wage :frown: at a recent staff meeting my boss already was discussing how we were going to prepare the pub for Christmas and that. I am definitely a hard working person but I really do not want to work Christmas as it is by far my most favourite time of the year and is the only time that my whole family get together. Plus, I know you get double pay.. but with me being on £3.79/hr getting double that is not going to make my Christmas any better. If I tell my boss far in advance about this do you think she's understand? Having said that I would be happy working all day Christmas Eve or Boxing Day... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
I know this is quite early on in the year but I'm a 17 year old A level student and I work at a local pub. I work typically 10-12 hours a week and get paid the basic minimum wage :frown: at a recent staff meeting my boss already was discussing how we were going to prepare the pub for Christmas and that. I am definitely a hard working person but I really do not want to work Christmas as it is by far my most favourite time of the year and is the only time that my whole family get together. Plus, I know you get double pay.. but with me being on £3.79/hr getting double that is not going to make my Christmas any better. If I tell my boss far in advance about this do you think she's understand? Having said that I would be happy working all day Christmas Eve or Boxing Day... any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Im not 100% sure, but im pretty sure they cant make you work christmas day.
Reply 2
Sadly you have no Right to Christmas Day off, a lot will depend on what is in your contract. Check the contract and see what it says about working Public / Bank Holidays and you should then have your answer.
£3.79 yuck get a new job
Just ask for a day off lol, you should get 28days paid holiday leave
Original post by Andy2463
Sadly you have no Right to Christmas Day off, a lot will depend on what is in your contract. Check the contract and see what it says about working Public / Bank Holidays and you should then have your answer.

I'm on a zero hour contract.. should probably have mentioned that before (sorry)
Original post by LittleMissyMe.x
I'm on a zero hour contract.. should probably have mentioned that before (sorry)

Zero hour contract means you have the right to reject any shift but I would let your boss know beforehand just to make it easier for him/her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
LMM, there should still be something in the contract about holidays etc. A zero hours contract simply means that they do not guarantee you any work. You are still entitled to holiday pay etc and this should have been detailed in the contract. As it is a zero hours contract you could just say that you are not available to work that day - it works both ways.

Have they definitely said they are opening as licensing laws are different on Christmas Day.
If you ask far enough in advance for Christmas day off but say you're willing to work Christmas Eve & Boxing Day, there's potential for you to get it. Show willingness to compromise & you'll stand a good chance of getting either what you're askng for or something close. Several years ago, I was doing sleepovers in a residential home, both me & the other person who did sleepovers wanted Christmas Eve off. I was living 80 miles away from family but she had kids. We talked about it & negotiated for who was doing which nights of Christmas Eve, Christmas night, Boxing night & NYE. In the end I got the better deal and the other person was happy as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Cate1976
If youvask far enough in advance for Christmas day off but say you're willing to work Christmas Eve & Boxing Day, ther's potential for you to get it. Show willingness to compromise & you'll stand a good chance of getting either what you're askng for or something close. Several years ago, I was doing sleepovers in a residential home, both me & the other person who did sleepovers wanted Christmas Eve off. I was living 80 miles away from family but she had kids. We talked about it & negotiated for who was doing which nights of Christmas Eve, Christmas night, Boxing night & NYE. In the end I got the better deal and the other person was happy as well.

Sounds sensible advice. Offering to work New Years Eve might help as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending