Difficulty of "A" levels across countries

Watch
Furion
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
hello.

As in topic, I'm wondering about true difficulty of "A" levels. I would like to compare the tests, that You take at the end of your High School.

I'll try to rewrite here a "Matura" exam (I'm from Poland) form last year here, as soon as I'm home

I hope You will also write here you tests, I'm most intested in physics and mathematics.

cheers,
Furion
Vaino
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
As far as I know A levels are a bit easier ^^, but I might be wrong...
yeung3939
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
UK Exedel (I don't know how to spell it) A-level is known to be easy. Plus it is relatively easy to get good grades, esepcially if you are a science student.

For your information, the Hong Kong A-level is the most difficult A-level in the world.
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yeung3939)
UK Exedel (I don't know how to spell it) A-level is known to be easy. Plus it is relatively easy to get good grades, esepcially if you are a science student.

For your information, the Hong Kong A-level is the most difficult A-level in the world.
Edexcel is the correct spelling.

some people would disagree with your second point and argue that Singapore A level is the most difficult in the world...
Chriz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I know that Singapore have more grades then ABCDE... like A1, A2 or something. But if you base it on the same grading (ABCDE..) of HKCEE and British A-Levels, HKCEE grades are probably lowered by 2 so its harder. e.g. A in brit AL is probably a C in HKCEE.
yeung3939
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Eng Lit. is special. You should compare subjects like Sciences, Geography, Economics.
terencelzm
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Chriz)
I know that Singapore have more grades then ABCDE... like A1, A2 or something. But if you base it on the same grading (ABCDE..) of HKCEE and British A-Levels, HKCEE grades are probably lowered by 2 so its harder. e.g. A in brit AL is probably a C in HKCEE.
Singapore A Level grades are ABCDEOF. (and apparently also adjusted based on a normal distribution curve for grade A. but that's just a rumour i dun recall there being any official word on this)
A1 and A2 grades are only for the former 'AO' subjects, full 'A' level subjects are only given alphabetical grades.

I don't know much about the HK A levels so I can't comment or contrast between the two.
yeung3939
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by terencelzm)
Singapore A Level grades are ABCDEOF. (and apparently also adjusted based on a normal distribution curve for grade A. but that's just a rumour i dun recall there being any official word on this)
A1 and A2 grades are only for the former 'AO' subjects, full 'A' level subjects are only given alphabetical grades.

I don't know much about the HK A levels so I can't comment or contrast between the two.
HK AL has the same classification system.
v2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
India has some of the most grueling A levels in the world. A % below 90 wont cut it, and on top of that you have to sit entrance exams for the reputed institutes like IIT/IIM.
v2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Why did I get neg repped? I was merely stating a FACT.
v2006
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol thx for pos rep
s.e.r.e.n.e
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yeung3939)

Disagree. The Singapore system is harder.
rougefatale
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Singapore!
xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
now now kids...
CocoBean
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Furion)
I hope You will also write here you tests, I'm most intested in physics and mathematics.

cheers,
Furion

You can go on UK examination boards websites and get past papers and mark schemes etc for nearly all A Level subjects.
Here is an example of OCR Physics 2007 paper: (Im not sure whether this is a whole paper as I dont do Physics myself so Im not familar with the layout and requirements etc..

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publicati...Test_paper.pdf

Try AQA or Edexcel for others. Also remember that AS makes up part of the A Level!

Hope that helps
alles_nichts
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
China.
At the end of your high school, you need to take college entrance exams, and these exams are extremely hard.
bryan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alles_nichts)
China.
At the end of your high school, you need to take college entrance exams, and these exams are extremely hard.
Yes. But only for Science and Maths.
verse
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
one more vote for singapore...eurgh...those 2 years almost killed my interest in history...
donkey10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Completely agree. The Singapore-Cambridge GCE A levels is by far the hardest A levels in the world. By comparison, the UK A levels are almost a joke.

I got ABB. Physics/Math/Chemistry and easily got a high 1:1 at Imperial EEE. My peers with 4/5 straight As in their UK A levels are struggling to maintain their 2:1.

Getting a 2:1 from a UK university is like a walk in the park really.
wildrover
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can't say A levels are a joke when both Oxford and Cambridge accept them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (76)
39.38%
Take autumn exams (63)
32.64%
Look for a job (6)
3.11%
Consider an apprenticeship (6)
3.11%
Take a year out (29)
15.03%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed