The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waz123
Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

Have you considered doing a foundation in accounting, economics or business
as you like maths it could be a good idea you have 240 points so will definitely get in some places do a foundation degree (1 year foundation 2 years degree) with the option to "top up" to the full honours at the end it's 4 years but it sounds like something that might be for you. The foundation is there to get you to the level where you can do the degree.
Reply 41
Original post by jonathanemptage
Have you considered doing a foundation in accounting, economics or business
as you like maths it could be a good idea you have 240 points so will definitely get in some places do a foundation degree (1 year foundation 2 years degree) with the option to "top up" to the full honours at the end it's 4 years but it sounds like something that might be for you. The foundation is there to get you to the level where you can do the degree.

I have contacted quite a few universities but I have been told to become and accountant an degree in it isn't needed, after looking at a few courses content im going to apply for computer science because it is heavily a maths subject and is interesting aswell
Original post by Waz123
I have contacted quite a few universities but I have been told to become and accountant an degree in it isn't needed, after looking at a few courses content im going to apply for computer science because it is heavily a maths subject and is interesting aswell

Hey!

I would seriously consider doing a computer science degree! We've got some great courses from traditional Computer Science to Games Computing. I'm hoping to do a masters in Computer Science at Lincoln but I'm interested in the web design side of things.

But best of all are lectures from the Gadget Show's Jason Bradbury!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmGHVLQmY0

Ben - Lincoln Media ProductionGraduate - Online Media Developer
Take a year out to decide what you really want to do with your life. Then next year apply gor a Foundation degree this is a two year course and can be done in a local collage or a uni and you only need 80 ucas points (you have that) and once you pass thst you can do a top up to the full degree at the same or a different uni I think you really need a change of scenery and a foundation degree is a good way to get in to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Waz123

computer science is an interesting subject I had a bit of in my degree (electronic engineering) don't get disheartened with the programming it takes a bit to get used to it get your self a book on C(most likely the language you'll be using) programming and try a few of the examples before you go that should help you get your head around it without going in cold it would also be a good idea to invest in a good laptop (a gameing one should keep you for the 3 years),

good luck
who tf is telling u to do this BS AS/A level course ,are u aware of the millions of other syllabuses were ppl are passing and are already ahead of u ?GTFO out of this mindset that A levels is so acclaimed since its British.Look at indian pakistan american syllabuses most of the student are in UNI doing what they want.At the end of the day ur still only in 12 th GRADE 12 th Nothing in life u havent even started uni .so dont put barriers so early on in life.
Original post by Waz123
Im 19 years old and have retaken my last year and had to self teach because my school didn't let me attend lessons. Last year when I got my result I achieved a CDE in maths chemistry and physics and was extremely disappointed.

This year i started revising around February and was trying much harder but i believe think my revision technique was wrong but i think i might have got - B in maths C in chemistry and D in physics. I don't know what happened but two weeks before the exams started i started to feel depressed and had anxiety for no reason, but i was still getting As in past papers.
I applied for chemical engineering at aston university with an entry requirement of BBB.

i have been thinking and come to the conclusion that i might not be suited to do any engineering degree even tho i love maths (but i hate physics). So i have been doing research for the last few weeks and still haven't come with an answer on what i want to do as a degree and in life.

After looking around I was first interested in a maths degree because i am interested in maths but since failing twice i have real doubt if I can do it as a degree. Then i thought of doing computer science but i have never done programming and recently i have thought about accounting and finance but i have never done accounting, economics or business at a level (only gcse business) and my tariff points is only 240.

Resitting again is not an option!!! I have been extremely depressed and feel as if i will never be happy again. i feel extremely disappointed and know that i have everyone down and i don't know what to do in life. I really need help and advise on what to do..........

(and please no trolls or people who are just going to say im stupid and should just work in asda)

with 240 points you might be able to do a foundation year they usually only require a few UCAS pints like at solent the Business one is only 48 points and can lead on to a full honours degree or you could look at a BA's only requiring 112 points or 80 points (from 2 a levels) for an HND this of course are from my old uni and other places will have other requirements (these all relate to business and finance courses as well) .

My point is there is hope even with relitivly low UCAS points.
Reply 47
Original post by Roving Fish
I'm not sure that I can advise that much based on the fact that we don't know what your situation will be come Thursday morning.

Have you thought about looking at alternative courses with lower requirements or with course content that you're interested in?

You can have a look at courses and research them now to avoid stresses and use my handy guide to be able to find the correct option for you.

Once we know what you've got, we can look at more options for you - do pop on during Results Day for some advice!

RE:The trouble is that you have to work your way up from the bottom... Store managers earn a lot and it can take about 7 years to work up from bottom to top. Personally I'm just about to finish working part time at Asda but have been suggested to go for the grad programme and that'll switch me into a job that I'm interested in and is actually quite well paid. The job is what you make of it - if you put lots in and go for development then you'll do good. We've got a few section managers in their early 20s and they're salary paid. :smile:

Just been reading this I know it's from a long time ago hahaah; but maybe those subjects weren't suited for you. You could have done additional alevels😊
If you're still on here, how did it work out for you? Lol
Original post by Seren.
Just been reading this I know it's from a long time ago hahaah; but maybe those subjects weren't suited for you. You could have done additional alevels😊
If you're still on here, how did it work out for you? Lol

I'm working in graphic design and my workplace are about to pay for me to do a Masters in Design Management. :smile:

Latest