Why do people in Britain hate sinn fein and the SNP Watch

This discussion is closed.
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CaitlinM1)
I can't speak for SF because I don't know a great deal about them but as far as SNP it's probably because they don't understand it because they don't actually live in Scotland where the benefits are felt i.e. free prescriptions and free tuitions fees. Either way regardless of how much they hate SNP English people have NO say in the independence vote so they are ultimately wasting their own time because SNP are appreciated in Scotland where it really matters
Im British and I prefer Sinn Fein to the DUP. Yes the DUP that’s supports Mays nasty cruel Tory party and Mays love child Ester McVey who targets the sick and disabled on incapacity benefit.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by I 8 Brexit)
The hard border would cause immense problems and potential conflict clearly you know nothing about Ireland.
I do love the way nationalists react on the internet. Disagree with them and you must be either English or some bizarrely distant foreigner who knows nothing about anything. As it happens, I know a fair bit about Ireland - so feel free to drop that silliness.

I do not believe it would cause immense problems. Does the border between Norway and Sweden cause "immense problems"? For that matter, does the border between the United States and Canada do that? No, not really. They result in some additional trade barriers: which are insignificant compared to the trade barriers of being part of separate sovereign states.

I see we've dropped down from conflict to "potential conflict". There is, of course, always the potential for violence from a small sector of dissident nutters in Northern Ireland. That's addressed by normal, everyday policing. Their objection isn't with customs monitoring, however, it's with Northern Ireland being part of the UK.

As for Scotland and Wales they have been starved of investment by the English who want to concentrate on the South East and London.
Er, both receive far higher public spending than the UK average (and far more than they raise in tax) as a result of fiscal transfers from London and the South East. In Scotland's case, that amounts to about £14 billion a year; in Wales, about £13 billion. These are enormous sums of money.

Scotland and Wales have received massive EU investment Europe over the years and this has helped their economy.
As independent member-states, they'd be net contributors to the EU. Instead, in the UK, they are net recipients of higher public spending. In the UK outside of the EU, indeed, the Government has already guaranteed the direct funding schemes - such as support for agriculture - will continue.

Why are you scared of the UK breaking up maybe England is reliant on their other neighbours reinventing themselves with EU assistance. The single market has created wealth in Europe to many countries who would not have experienced any prosperity
The UK's own unified domestic market has created far more wealth than the EU single market in this country, as I pointed out. It is by far the more valuable union.

Also in UK there is a big divide between rich/poor where the divide is much smaller in many EU countries.
Although you've made that claim as vague as possible, it's still absolute nonsense. The average Gini coefficient across the EU28 is was 31% in 2016 - the UK's was 32%. In short, not even a statistically significant variation. Sure, some countries do better than average, some worse - but I don't really see why you think this is a point worth making.
george duffy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How can scotland be independent ruled by brussels and germany
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would never vote for either party but support Scottish independence and want to see the 32 counties of Ireland be one country.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by george duffy)
How can scotland be independent ruled by brussels and germany
You tool.
Scotland is ruled from Edinburgh not Berlin or Brussels.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Because the English seem to be somewhat amusingly blind to irony. Say what you want about the nationalists in Scotland and Ireland but considering we have an overtly English nationalist party in power at the moment they dont seem to have a leg to stand on.

Although with respect to Sinn Fein its because they had a propensity for blowing things up
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Because the English seem to be somewhat amusingly blind to irony. Say what you want about the nationalists in Scotland and Ireland but considering we have an overtly English nationalist party in power at the moment they dont seem to have a leg to stand on.

Although with respect to Sinn Fein its because they had a propensity for blowing things up
I was going to leave this one alone but seeing as it's at the top of the list.
SNP are no more than pantomime villains, Sinn Fein however are just the political arm of the IRA, now I can hear the cries of that was last century and they've moved on but let's not forget this particular ******** from a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/akkfb5ji3Cs

They are and always will be scum.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I was going to leave this one alone but seeing as it's at the top of the list.
SNP are no more than pantomime villains, Sinn Fein however are just the political arm of the IRA, now I can hear the cries of that was last century and they've moved on but let's not forget this particular ******** from a couple of years ago.

https://youtu.be/akkfb5ji3Cs

They are and always will be scum.
I don’t disagree with your comment vis-a-vis the Irish outfit, I believe the comparison between them and the crew who run the West Bank holds quite well.
Although I do give props to the snp, we might not like their policies apropos the union but they’re still a much more respectable outfit than the Tories and labour these days 😂
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (75)
15.03%
1 (68)
13.63%
2 (65)
13.03%
20.64%
20.04%
5 (88)
17.64%

Watched Threads

Latest