Struggling mentally as well as physically with braces

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I wasn't really sure whether or not to post this in the mental health forum so I'm sorry if it's wrong. If anyone decides to comment on this saying how stupid I am or how I need to grow up then congrats, you made someone who's already feeling bad feel even worse, you should be proud of yourself.

I was just hoping for some friendly words/advice from you guys because lately I've been feeling rather awful and it's mainly to do with my braces. I'm 17 now and I know that it's becoming increasingly common for adults to have braces but I feel like I'm stuck at an awkward stage between being a child and being an adult where absolutely nobody has braces anymore. There were two of us who had them in my school last year but the other girl (who just so happens to be one of my best friends) is getting hers off in two days and won't shut up about it and it's just making me feel worse. Everyone else had theirs off before the end of Year 9, I'm just about to go into Year 13.My teeth have never been particularly wonky, one was sticking out slightly and I have a bit of an overbite but I never felt ashamed of them and I wasn't scared to show them or anything, I know some people who were like that before they got braces.

The main thing for me was that I just never developed an adult canine tooth on one side, so they decided to pull out the baby one and use braces and miniscrews to pull all the molars forward to fill the gap. Apparently false teeth in that position have a habit of just falling out over and over again so he told me not to do that (how I wish I had though). I've had my braces on 8 months now and I am actually quite impressed with how straight my teeth seem to be but this gap does not appear to be closing at all. And I'm not talking like a 0.5mm gap between two teeth that all my friends used to complain about, I mean a proper tooth sized gap that's at least 5mm wide.

All of this was made worse by the fact that yesterday afternoon, my brace broke. The wire at the back on the bottom hasn't popped out completely but it's bent outwards towards my cheek. This has happened before but I just popped it back into place and everything was fine. I don't know if this is correct but I feel like it's because too long is left between my appointments, the orthodontist always asks for 6-8 weeks but the receptionist always schedules me in for at least 8 weeks, if not 9 and my brace seems to break within the last week before an appointment. I can't get this one back in though and while it's not rubbing, the pressure it's putting on my teeth is not unbearable but really not very pleasant, I haven't been able to eat at all since it happened. My orthodontist only works Wednesdays at the place where I go too (I go to the orthodontics department in a hospital rather than a separate one so it's a bit awkward) and this Wednesday I'm away to try and get my mind off results day, so he can't fix it for another week and a half. I'm going to see if my dentist can just cut the back piece of wire out to save me some pain as I have a regular orthodontist appointment scheduled for next week anyway so hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

Basically, my braces are causing me a lot of pain. Everyone says they don't hurt that much yet after every tightening, I can't eat solid food for at least a week and for the first two days or so, I'm practically crying in pain. I take paracetamol & ibuprofen regularly but they don't seem to work. I've had a go with Bonjela but that seems to last 5 minutes only (although those 5 minutes are amazing). I also recently noticed my gums are growing down my teeth a little, apparently this is because they're inflamed and I now have gingivitis. I've never had a problem with this before, I've never even had fillings or anything, but ever since they put this miniscrew into my mouth, the gum right next to it has grown right down to the bracket on my tooth. It doesn't look nice, it doesn't feel right and it really can't be healthy. Also every time I get them tightened, my orthodontist rips the corner of my lips. I thought it was a cold sore at first but it happens every time I go, he just makes me open my mouth more than I physically can and my lips actually rip. It hurts like hell especially when trying to eat/talk and looks really nasty too. It only ever goes down just in time for me to get it ripped again at the next appointment.

I don't think things are being helped by the fact that my orthodontist hasn't given me a date of when I can expect my braces to come off, every time I ask him his typical response is: "Well how long is a piece of string?". I can understand him not being able to estimate exactly but it just feels like there will be no end when he won't give me any idea. We have a Y13 leavers party in May next year and I know it's a bit shallow but I would really love them to be off by then, I'm not the most confident at all and they're just bringing me down even more. Failing that, I really want them off by the time I go to uni, I know this sounds bad but I've never been so popular at school and I just want to go to uni as a new person with nice teeth and hopefully get a bit more in shape by then too! Of course people won't judge me solely based on looks and I don't want to be friends with anyone who would, but I always feel more confident when I think I look nicer and I have a bit of an anxiety thing where if people look at me for slightly too long in public, I always think it's because I look awful or something.

I'm sorry for the really long post, but even if nobody reads this then I don't think it was a waste of time as I guess it was just good for me to get all my feelings out. If anyone knows what it's like to go through things like this and fancies helping in some manner then I would appreciate it more than you can imagine. I find myself stuck between days where I forget I have braces, days where I'm crying in pain/anger/sadness at my braces and days where I'm so happy I'll end up with amazing teeth. My mum said to me the other day that she wishes we'd never agreed to let the orthodontist mess around with my mouth, it seems to be a bit of an experiment to him as he's never done this sort of stuff before but at the end of the day, it's my mouth and my feelings he's messing with. I just generally feel a bit bad about life in general due to other reasons (I don't want to call it depression because others have it much worse but just everything seems to get me down at the moment) and my braces are making everything worse. Thank you for any advice x
itswillJB
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had braces for about a year or so and wanted to remove them every single day. But the day they did get removed it looked so wrong not having metal on my teeth. Also I don't think any orthodontist is "gentle" mine tended to just shove things in my mouth :/. Don't worry too much about still having them though, I know quite a few people my age (18) who still have them
Incubator
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wasn't really sure whether or not to post this in the mental health forum so I'm sorry if it's wrong. If anyone decides to comment on this saying how stupid I am or how I need to grow up then congrats, you made someone who's already feeling bad feel even worse, you should be proud of yourself.

I was just hoping for some friendly words/advice from you guys because lately I've been feeling rather awful and it's mainly to do with my braces. I'm 17 now and I know that it's becoming increasingly common for adults to have braces but I feel like I'm stuck at an awkward stage between being a child and being an adult where absolutely nobody has braces anymore. There were two of us who had them in my school last year but the other girl (who just so happens to be one of my best friends) is getting hers off in two days and won't shut up about it and it's just making me feel worse. Everyone else had theirs off before the end of Year 9, I'm just about to go into Year 13.My teeth have never been particularly wonky, one was sticking out slightly and I have a bit of an overbite but I never felt ashamed of them and I wasn't scared to show them or anything, I know some people who were like that before they got braces.

The main thing for me was that I just never developed an adult canine tooth on one side, so they decided to pull out the baby one and use braces and miniscrews to pull all the molars forward to fill the gap. Apparently false teeth in that position have a habit of just falling out over and over again so he told me not to do that (how I wish I had though). I've had my braces on 8 months now and I am actually quite impressed with how straight my teeth seem to be but this gap does not appear to be closing at all. And I'm not talking like a 0.5mm gap between two teeth that all my friends used to complain about, I mean a proper tooth sized gap that's at least 5mm wide.

All of this was made worse by the fact that yesterday afternoon, my brace broke. The wire at the back on the bottom hasn't popped out completely but it's bent outwards towards my cheek. This has happened before but I just popped it back into place and everything was fine. I don't know if this is correct but I feel like it's because too long is left between my appointments, the orthodontist always asks for 6-8 weeks but the receptionist always schedules me in for at least 8 weeks, if not 9 and my brace seems to break within the last week before an appointment. I can't get this one back in though and while it's not rubbing, the pressure it's putting on my teeth is not unbearable but really not very pleasant, I haven't been able to eat at all since it happened. My orthodontist only works Wednesdays at the place where I go too (I go to the orthodontics department in a hospital rather than a separate one so it's a bit awkward) and this Wednesday I'm away to try and get my mind off results day, so he can't fix it for another week and a half. I'm going to see if my dentist can just cut the back piece of wire out to save me some pain as I have a regular orthodontist appointment scheduled for next week anyway so hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

Basically, my braces are causing me a lot of pain. Everyone says they don't hurt that much yet after every tightening, I can't eat solid food for at least a week and for the first two days or so, I'm practically crying in pain. I take paracetamol & ibuprofen regularly but they don't seem to work. I've had a go with Bonjela but that seems to last 5 minutes only (although those 5 minutes are amazing). I also recently noticed my gums are growing down my teeth a little, apparently this is because they're inflamed and I now have gingivitis. I've never had a problem with this before, I've never even had fillings or anything, but ever since they put this miniscrew into my mouth, the gum right next to it has grown right down to the bracket on my tooth. It doesn't look nice, it doesn't feel right and it really can't be healthy. Also every time I get them tightened, my orthodontist rips the corner of my lips. I thought it was a cold sore at first but it happens every time I go, he just makes me open my mouth more than I physically can and my lips actually rip. It hurts like hell especially when trying to eat/talk and looks really nasty too. It only ever goes down just in time for me to get it ripped again at the next appointment.

I don't think things are being helped by the fact that my orthodontist hasn't given me a date of when I can expect my braces to come off, every time I ask him his typical response is: "Well how long is a piece of string?". I can understand him not being able to estimate exactly but it just feels like there will be no end when he won't give me any idea. We have a Y13 leavers party in May next year and I know it's a bit shallow but I would really love them to be off by then, I'm not the most confident at all and they're just bringing me down even more. Failing that, I really want them off by the time I go to uni, I know this sounds bad but I've never been so popular at school and I just want to go to uni as a new person with nice teeth and hopefully get a bit more in shape by then too! Of course people won't judge me solely based on looks and I don't want to be friends with anyone who would, but I always feel more confident when I think I look nicer and I have a bit of an anxiety thing where if people look at me for slightly too long in public, I always think it's because I look awful or something.

I'm sorry for the really long post, but even if nobody reads this then I don't think it was a waste of time as I guess it was just good for me to get all my feelings out. If anyone knows what it's like to go through things like this and fancies helping in some manner then I would appreciate it more than you can imagine. I find myself stuck between days where I forget I have braces, days where I'm crying in pain/anger/sadness at my braces and days where I'm so happy I'll end up with amazing teeth. My mum said to me the other day that she wishes we'd never agreed to let the orthodontist mess around with my mouth, it seems to be a bit of an experiment to him as he's never done this sort of stuff before but at the end of the day, it's my mouth and my feelings he's messing with. I just generally feel a bit bad about life in general due to other reasons (I don't want to call it depression because others have it much worse but just everything seems to get me down at the moment) and my braces are making everything worse. Thank you for any advice x
I'm turning 18 next week, and I have to wait until September to get mine off. They do hurt when they're tightened but honestly, once they're off, you'll miss them. Btw your post was too long to read so I'm sorry if this wasn't relevant
KatieAlicexxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey sweetie!
I'm also in your position- 17, going into yr13 and I have braces too. I know they're horrible but I can tell you now you're not alone! At least a quarter of people at my college have braces (and there are like 3000 students), so you are definitely not alone!

All I try to do when I feel down about my braces is think about the finished end result. Think about how lovely your smile will be! I too get frustrated that I couldn't get braces in year 9 like all of my friends but what can you do?
I know it really gets your confidence down, but honestly braces aren't a big deal. Think about all the other amazing aspects about yourself! Maybe you have really pretty eyes, or lovely clear skin. No matter how small the good bits are, focus on them! It'll make you feel good. Tell yourself all your good bits out loud in the mirror. Hearing these compliments will make you acknowledge them and feel better.

As for the gingivitis, get into the habit of a good oral hygiene routine. Brush for 3-5 minutes day and night, use interdental brushes, try to floss (granted, easier said than done) and swill with saline solution day and night, as well as mouthwash. You can get little dye tablets that stain the plaque so you can see it easier, which will allow you to brush it (and the bacteria) off of your teeth.

I know it's hard but you'll get there in the end. PM me if you want to chat x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rorschach II
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry, but I'm not going to read all of that, but...

Barely anyone I know in my college has braces, as they've all seemed to have it in the past

If broken, call orthodontist and see if you can book an appointment as soon as possible, so no time is wasted, and say it's painful
When mine broke (wire came out) it got t the point where I had to take a lot of the wire out myself, because it was stabbing painfully in my cheek or gum all the time.

and yes, at first they're really painful, but after some time, you'll no longer feel them.

Also, if you think there's something not right (you said inflamed gums) see dentist/orthodontist asap. Call and tell them

And, mine were supposed to come off this February, but then it got pushed up two predicted appointments, and then the orthodontist cancelled my appointments twice. I now need to go in in September.

I think I had my last appointment March, then my one in April was cancelled, and my one in June was cancelled, and then they created appointments for me in September without even telling me. I know they're human, but I do doubt it happened to everyone there, for even 1 appointment.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
I had braces after most people, too. They went on at 16, and came off last year just after my 18th birthday. I had 4 teeth removed before they were put on, and so lots of spaces to fill. The first 2 months were the worst because they cut up and scarred the inside of my mouth, though thankfully the skin toughened up there and was much better after that period. Getting them tightened or the wire replaced meant 2 weeks of aches immediately after, although the pain didn't set in until the following day after each adjustment. I remember ice-cream being quite helpful!

I never once broke my braces. Not sure if I was being careful unintentionally, or just got lucky. Also never got ulcers which lots of people complain of.

Braces aren't nice for anyone wearing them, which explains why your friend is so excited; she also won't have seen her teeth for about 2 years!

To me it sounds like your orthodontist is doing a bit of a shabby job. Why is it that you are being scheduled appointments too far apart? Are there no spaces, or are you just settling for what's first suggested? I would suggest visiting your dentist about the wire, and possibly talking to another orthodontist to get their opinion on whether yours is doing their job correctly. Did you contact yours yourself, or were they recommended to you?
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol you can have braces at any age. Not really a big deal.
Brownclown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your picture 😍

(Original post by XcitingStuart)

Anyways, OP chill no one at sixth form will give you grief about wearing braces. My chemistry teacher (35+) had adult braces and no one cared because we could appreciate the fact she's actively trying to Improve herself so why would we make fun of her?

Braces should be the least of your worries. Concentrate on your A levels!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
lol you can have braces at any age. Not really a big deal.
Clearly I know you can have braces at any age, they might not feel like a big deal to some people but to me right now, they are and if you can't appreciate that then I'd be grateful if you could just not say anything at all.

(Original post by XcitingStuart)
Sorry, but I'm not going to read all of that, but...

Barely anyone I know in my college has braces, as they've all seemed to have it in the past

If broken, call orthodontist and see if you can book an appointment as soon as possible, so no time is wasted, and say it's painful
When mine broke (wire came out) it got t the point where I had to take a lot of the wire out myself, because it was stabbing painfully in my cheek or gum all the time.

and yes, at first they're really painful, but after some time, you'll no longer feel them.

Also, if you think there's something not right (you said inflamed gums) see dentist/orthodontist asap. Call and tell them

And, mine were supposed to come off this February, but then it got pushed up two predicted appointments, and then the orthodontist cancelled my appointments twice. I now need to go in in September.

I think I had my last appointment March, then my one in April was cancelled, and my one in June was cancelled, and then they created appointments for me in September without even telling me. I know they're human, but I do doubt it happened to everyone there, for even 1 appointment.
Wasn't really relevant but thanks for the advice.

(Original post by Incubator)
I'm turning 18 next week, and I have to wait until September to get mine off. They do hurt when they're tightened but honestly, once they're off, you'll miss them. Btw your post was too long to read so I'm sorry if this wasn't relevant
Trust me, I won't miss them once they're off.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by KatieAlicexxx)
Hey sweetie!
I'm also in your position- 17, going into yr13 and I have braces too. I know they're horrible but I can tell you now you're not alone! At least a quarter of people at my college have braces (and there are like 3000 students), so you are definitely not alone!

All I try to do when I feel down about my braces is think about the finished end result. Think about how lovely your smile will be! I too get frustrated that I couldn't get braces in year 9 like all of my friends but what can you do?
I know it really gets your confidence down, but honestly braces aren't a big deal. Think about all the other amazing aspects about yourself! Maybe you have really pretty eyes, or lovely clear skin. No matter how small the good bits are, focus on them! It'll make you feel good. Tell yourself all your good bits out loud in the mirror. Hearing these compliments will make you acknowledge them and feel better.

As for the gingivitis, get into the habit of a good oral hygiene routine. Brush for 3-5 minutes day and night, use interdental brushes, try to floss (granted, easier said than done) and swill with saline solution day and night, as well as mouthwash. You can get little dye tablets that stain the plaque so you can see it easier, which will allow you to brush it (and the bacteria) off of your teeth.

I know it's hard but you'll get there in the end. PM me if you want to chat x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, really! I'm already brushing at least twice a day for 2-4 minutes each time then following that with the little interdental brush and mouthwash, though I did give up flossing within the first month of getting my braces on as it just seemed impossible, so I'll try and persevere with that. Hopefully I can get some advice off my dentist as having gum growing around/under a bracket is really not comfy. Thank you again <3
Anonymous #1
(Original post by carrotstar)
I had braces after most people, too. They went on at 16, and came off last year just after my 18th birthday. I had 4 teeth removed before they were put on, and so lots of spaces to fill. The first 2 months were the worst because they cut up and scarred the inside of my mouth, though thankfully the skin toughened up there and was much better after that period. Getting them tightened or the wire replaced meant 2 weeks of aches immediately after, although the pain didn't set in until the following day after each adjustment. I remember ice-cream being quite helpful!

I never once broke my braces. Not sure if I was being careful unintentionally, or just got lucky. Also never got ulcers which lots of people complain of.

Braces aren't nice for anyone wearing them, which explains why your friend is so excited; she also won't have seen her teeth for about 2 years!

To me it sounds like your orthodontist is doing a bit of a shabby job. Why is it that you are being scheduled appointments too far apart? Are there no spaces, or are you just settling for what's first suggested? I would suggest visiting your dentist about the wire, and possibly talking to another orthodontist to get their opinion on whether yours is doing their job correctly. Did you contact yours yourself, or were they recommended to you?
Agreed, the first two months were awful! Luckily I don't seem to get sores or ulcers anymore but I think I've got quite sensitive teeth which makes tightening more painful than my orthodontist/friends say it should be. Last time I lived on ice cream too, I seemed to alternate with ice cream and hot chocolate as the cold & hot made it less painful :lol:

You're lucky for not breaking them, I've only ever had the wire pop out twice but I remember friends breaking brackets and that sounded painful, as well as their orthodontist getting a bit annoyed.

I get that my friend is excited and I'm really happy for her to get hers off, especially since they were originally meant to come off at Easter of Y11 and we're now just about to go into Y13, but I really wish she'd just talk about something else for once. I know I'll probably be the same when mine come off but at the moment it's just really disheartening to hear her talk about how excited she is for hers to come off when I've still got mine on for a while yet. I mentioned it to her but she just took it really personally and told me that I was meant to be happy for her so now I've just given up.

I'm not even sure why I'm being scheduled too far apart, I think it's because there aren't any spaces but tbh the receptionist is so useless and just sits there talking or on her phone the whole time and then tries to find the first appointment available so it's easiest for her. I got my braces on the NHS and was just referred to the nearest orthodontics place so I guess I just got what I was given. My orthodontist seems so nice until he gets his fingers in my mouth! I'm hoping what he's doing is correct, I know he's gotten a second opinion on it from a more experienced orthodontist because he changed his original position of where to put this screw, but his enthusiasm and "let's see what happens if we do this" attitude is a bit disconcerting at times. Hopefully I can get to my normal dentist tomorrow to get this wire sorted out and I'll ask his opinion on everything then.

Thank you so much for your reply and the advice!
KatieAlicexxx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you so much, really! I'm already brushing at least twice a day for 2-4 minutes each time then following that with the little interdental brush and mouthwash, though I did give up flossing within the first month of getting my braces on as it just seemed impossible, so I'll try and persevere with that. Hopefully I can get some advice off my dentist as having gum growing around/under a bracket is really not comfy. Thank you again <3
That's alright! Glad I can be of help! If you need anything else just message me!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
fangirlaf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have braces! Do not get your dentist to cut the wire - it only makes the time you have your braces on longer. Also try braceze gel if they rub against your cheeks. It is a gel that you mould around the part that rubs and it hardens but is smooth so that it doesnt rub! Hope i helped x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annika_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carrotstar)

Hiya, I'm about to have 4 teeth out at the hospital and I'm really panicking. The braces go on two weeks after I have them out. What do I do whilst I have gaps? Also do the braces move the teeth enough to fill in the gaps? I'm really worried!
NineTailedFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Annika_x)
Hiya, I'm about to have 4 teeth out at the hospital and I'm really panicking. The braces go on two weeks after I have them out. What do I do whilst I have gaps? Also do the braces move the teeth enough to fill in the gaps? I'm really worried!
Dont worry about it, the gaps will get filled out. I also had to get 4 teeth out. Just be prepared for the bleeding when you eat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Annika_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NineTailedFox)
Dont worry about it, the gaps will get filled out. I also had to get 4 teeth out. Just be prepared for the bleeding when you eat

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which teeth did you have out? x
NineTailedFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which teeth did you have out? x
I cant remember exactly but I know they were all incisors.
Annika_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NineTailedFox)
I cant remember exactly but I know they were all incisors.
Ohh. I'm having all 4 canines out. Did you go to the hospital? How old were you?
NineTailedFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohh. I'm having all 4 canines out. Did you go to the hospital? How old were you?
I think I was 14 and I just went to my normal dentist. They did the top 2 first, waited until they stopped bleeding and moved on to the bottom 2.
Annika_x
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ohkay. I'm 16 and I'm going to have braces for college now and I'm worried...:L
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (37)
50%
No, they should still go ahead (16)
21.62%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (21)
28.38%

Watched Threads