Struggling mentally as well as physically with braces

Watch
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Annika_x)
Hiya, I'm about to have 4 teeth out at the hospital and I'm really panicking. The braces go on two weeks after I have them out. What do I do whilst I have gaps? Also do the braces move the teeth enough to fill in the gaps? I'm really worried!
My dentist removed mine. You should be having one side done before the other (in two sittings) two weeks apart so you can chew at the other side of your mouth whilst the most recent wounds are healing. You will have one injection beside each tooth. Admittedly they are not the nicest injections, but they are over quickly and the numb lips afterwards is quite comedic! When they are removed it won't be painful but you will feel an uncomfortable tugging and you will want to wince even though there's nothing to wince about!

Whilst you have the gaps, eat soft foods such as pasta and hearty soups. Avoid bread or anything which you need to bite or chew as these will get stuck in the holes and are quite uncomfortable to pick out!

You will have no gaps left after treatment, and will wonder why you were so worried about braces, and how on Earth the teeth fitted into your mouth to start with! Good luck!
Mayvey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I’m 37 and I have braces and yes I am depressed due to other reasons but I feel the braces situation is contributing to it. It’s very uncomfortable all of the time and it is excruciatingly painful after fighting. I wonder if it’s even ethical to put young people through this during their GCSEs and a-levels it’s just too much pressure to be under...
Mayvey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mayvey)
Well I’m 37 and I have braces and yes I am depressed due to other reasons but I feel the braces situation is contributing to it. It’s very uncomfortable all of the time and it is excruciatingly painful after fighting. I wonder if it’s even ethical to put young people through this during their GCSEs and a-levels it’s just too much pressure to be under...
I meant tightening the wire / not fighting 😆
mon166
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can imagine how u feel, but just know at the end of the day it’ll make your teeth look better and that they won’t be on forever. And I’m the exact same, I feel so awkward when people stare at me for a long time without explanation, and it happens a lot too, and makes me rather self conscious of myself. I just try look away, but it plays on my mind for ages. But I advice you that you should work on being confident, more than focusing on what you may look like, or how others may perceive you. I noticed that with myself, I never look “pretty enough” until my surroundings are happy. When I’m surrounded with nice people, I feel nice too and I’m sure you’re a pretty girl anyway, I know I can’t see you in particular but the majority of the time the people who are self-conscious are the best looking people💕
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wasn't really sure whether or not to post this in the mental health forum so I'm sorry if it's wrong. If anyone decides to comment on this saying how stupid I am or how I need to grow up then congrats, you made someone who's already feeling bad feel even worse, you should be proud of yourself.

I was just hoping for some friendly words/advice from you guys because lately I've been feeling rather awful and it's mainly to do with my braces. I'm 17 now and I know that it's becoming increasingly common for adults to have braces but I feel like I'm stuck at an awkward stage between being a child and being an adult where absolutely nobody has braces anymore. There were two of us who had them in my school last year but the other girl (who just so happens to be one of my best friends) is getting hers off in two days and won't shut up about it and it's just making me feel worse. Everyone else had theirs off before the end of Year 9, I'm just about to go into Year 13.My teeth have never been particularly wonky, one was sticking out slightly and I have a bit of an overbite but I never felt ashamed of them and I wasn't scared to show them or anything, I know some people who were like that before they got braces.

The main thing for me was that I just never developed an adult canine tooth on one side, so they decided to pull out the baby one and use braces and miniscrews to pull all the molars forward to fill the gap. Apparently false teeth in that position have a habit of just falling out over and over again so he told me not to do that (how I wish I had though). I've had my braces on 8 months now and I am actually quite impressed with how straight my teeth seem to be but this gap does not appear to be closing at all. And I'm not talking like a 0.5mm gap between two teeth that all my friends used to complain about, I mean a proper tooth sized gap that's at least 5mm wide.

All of this was made worse by the fact that yesterday afternoon, my brace broke. The wire at the back on the bottom hasn't popped out completely but it's bent outwards towards my cheek. This has happened before but I just popped it back into place and everything was fine. I don't know if this is correct but I feel like it's because too long is left between my appointments, the orthodontist always asks for 6-8 weeks but the receptionist always schedules me in for at least 8 weeks, if not 9 and my brace seems to break within the last week before an appointment. I can't get this one back in though and while it's not rubbing, the pressure it's putting on my teeth is not unbearable but really not very pleasant, I haven't been able to eat at all since it happened. My orthodontist only works Wednesdays at the place where I go too (I go to the orthodontics department in a hospital rather than a separate one so it's a bit awkward) and this Wednesday I'm away to try and get my mind off results day, so he can't fix it for another week and a half. I'm going to see if my dentist can just cut the back piece of wire out to save me some pain as I have a regular orthodontist appointment scheduled for next week anyway so hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

Basically, my braces are causing me a lot of pain. Everyone says they don't hurt that much yet after every tightening, I can't eat solid food for at least a week and for the first two days or so, I'm practically crying in pain. I take paracetamol & ibuprofen regularly but they don't seem to work. I've had a go with Bonjela but that seems to last 5 minutes only (although those 5 minutes are amazing). I also recently noticed my gums are growing down my teeth a little, apparently this is because they're inflamed and I now have gingivitis. I've never had a problem with this before, I've never even had fillings or anything, but ever since they put this miniscrew into my mouth, the gum right next to it has grown right down to the bracket on my tooth. It doesn't look nice, it doesn't feel right and it really can't be healthy. Also every time I get them tightened, my orthodontist rips the corner of my lips. I thought it was a cold sore at first but it happens every time I go, he just makes me open my mouth more than I physically can and my lips actually rip. It hurts like hell especially when trying to eat/talk and looks really nasty too. It only ever goes down just in time for me to get it ripped again at the next appointment.

I don't think things are being helped by the fact that my orthodontist hasn't given me a date of when I can expect my braces to come off, every time I ask him his typical response is: "Well how long is a piece of string?". I can understand him not being able to estimate exactly but it just feels like there will be no end when he won't give me any idea. We have a Y13 leavers party in May next year and I know it's a bit shallow but I would really love them to be off by then, I'm not the most confident at all and they're just bringing me down even more. Failing that, I really want them off by the time I go to uni, I know this sounds bad but I've never been so popular at school and I just want to go to uni as a new person with nice teeth and hopefully get a bit more in shape by then too! Of course people won't judge me solely based on looks and I don't want to be friends with anyone who would, but I always feel more confident when I think I look nicer and I have a bit of an anxiety thing where if people look at me for slightly too long in public, I always think it's because I look awful or something.

I'm sorry for the really long post, but even if nobody reads this then I don't think it was a waste of time as I guess it was just good for me to get all my feelings out. If anyone knows what it's like to go through things like this and fancies helping in some manner then I would appreciate it more than you can imagine. I find myself stuck between days where I forget I have braces, days where I'm crying in pain/anger/sadness at my braces and days where I'm so happy I'll end up with amazing teeth. My mum said to me the other day that she wishes we'd never agreed to let the orthodontist mess around with my mouth, it seems to be a bit of an experiment to him as he's never done this sort of stuff before but at the end of the day, it's my mouth and my feelings he's messing with. I just generally feel a bit bad about life in general due to other reasons (I don't want to call it depression because others have it much worse but just everything seems to get me down at the moment) and my braces are making everything worse. Thank you for any advice x
I’m in year 11 and I got my braces on yesterday and it’s bloody murder. I have to wait 18 months to get them off now and I really didn’t want to wear them in college. But I’m trying to imagine how good I’ll look once I get them off and it’s helping me get through it. Just try not to think about it too much (me saying this whilst trying not to cry bcos of the pain)
Anonymous #3
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I wasn't really sure whether or not to post this in the mental health forum so I'm sorry if it's wrong. If anyone decides to comment on this saying how stupid I am or how I need to grow up then congrats, you made someone who's already feeling bad feel even worse, you should be proud of yourself.
Hello, ik this is really random, but I am going through a hard time with my braces at the moment, that they don't look nice and don't feel good. I know this is normal, but could you reassure me they are worth it even tho they look awful and i get embarrassed of them. Maybe one of the people already on this thread as it was from a while ago so your's will be off xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (594)
49.38%
No (609)
50.62%

Watched Threads