Cal1999
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I have just finished Spanish GCSE, and I will be starting Spanish A-level in September - obviously, I have knowledge about the Spanish language - pronunciation, the culture and a fair bit of grammar; however, the college which I have applied for, I have just noticed that ANYBODY can do Italian with a B in any other foreign language at GCSE.

I was thinking: do you think that it will be worthwhile me taking on-board Italian as well as Spanish - or do you think it will be too much added stress?

These are the A-levels that I am considering - and I would swap Government & Politics for Italian (if I decided to take it).

SPANISH
HISTORY
ENGLISH LITERATURE
GOVERNMENT & POLITICS

Thank you in advance for your replies, and kind regards.
Tophat98
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi!

I'm taking two language A Levels at the moment- French and Spanish (though I speak a little German and Italian) and I could talk for hours about how amazing taking languages is.

I would definitely advise taking another language as it will serve you well in all walks of life. A language such as Italian is fairly limited in terms of where it is spoken, but simply showing that you can handle 2 foreign languages demonstrates commitment and intelligence.

It isn't easy and it takes a lot of work, but that is something which all universities look for. Languages will always serve you well whatever you do and they're great fun to learn. A Level languages are very different to GCSE as you will learn about the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken. You learn about so much more than what your did during your work experience and how to pronounce beaucoup properly!

Honestly I can't recommend enough learning as many new languages as you can!!!

So in response to your question: certo tu devi imparare!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nangnang
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Taking another language would certainly save you doing what I am doing and going the post A level + ab initio route at degree level if you want to study languages! Which A level would you replace though? The least respected of your (all very worthy) choices is Govt and Politics so I would suggest replacing that. Good luck to you!
ewil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have just finished AS Spanish having got a very strong A* at GCSE, and whilst it's been rewarding and I've enjoyed it, I did end up with a B at the end, and I know of no-one who got above this in a language at my school. The boundaries tend to be high (with our board anyway) instead of compensating for their natural inclination to be harder, as they're less predictable exams to take. If you are thinking of doing languages at uni, unless you are thinking Oxbridge, uni's do tend to recognise the difference in marking though, and I've known of people with D's getting into good uni's like Nottingham. The only thing this means, though, is if you study 2 AS/A2 languages, your results COULD appear lower than other subjects, even though comparably you did well.I would say if you love languages and you feel willing to put in a heck of a lot of time (truly) to pretty much perfect them, do both and absolutely enjoy it - of those choices, I would probably drop gov and politics, as it's a subject that may be held slightly less desirable by universities as it's slightly less 'traditional'. Italian is a lovely language, and I have considered picking it up at university. It will be a step up though, and maybe get some books in the languages you intend to study - you can get bilingual short stories I believe which might be a good idea. I hope you have a great time studying them - if you have a MFL assistant, make the best use of the time you have with them, it really increased my confidence and capabilities!
All the best! (for your GCSE results also!)
desmoulins
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd definitely go for it! Speaking as someone who's done a similar thing- I've studied French for 6 years now and began Russian last September- it's honestly worth the work. Learning another language in sixth form is really refreshing and rewarding If I were you, I'd drop government and politics because it's quite similar to History really, but isn't as facilitating to whatever you want to do. I also find that languages are my least stressful subjects, and have a really manageable workload- particularly compared to history (which I've actually just decided to drop because of the stress!) and researching oral topics etc. is actually really fun (my French one was on same-sex marriage. good times.). Don't worry about people saying they're hard to get As and A*s in, if you're committed and work hard enough it is possible!! (I just got As in both Russian and French AS today, so I promise it's do-able)

Best of luck! xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads