The Student Room Group

Only two unis offer my course, what do I do if I fail my A-Levels?

A-levels results are very soon and I'm bricking it as we get closer but it isn't because I think i've failed (may have) but it's because I have no insurance choice to rely on if I fail my exams. I need ABB for Leicester university for film, spanish and french as a combined course, the other uni that offer this is exeter and I probably wont get accepted for exeter if I dont get accepted to leicester, and I cant just go into clearing because there wont be any uni that offer the course.

what can i do if I fail on the day? everyone's option is clearing but i cant do that and im super worried
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do a different course
Reply 2
you may have to look at a different course unfortunately but you need to ask yourself why only 2 unis offer your course
You could get lucky if your school uses OCR :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by sdotd
you may have to look at a different course unfortunately but you need to ask yourself why only 2 unis offer your course

well because it's very rare to combine two languages and a general subject, most unis offer one language and a subject, but i think two languages is better and broader. it took me so long to find my course and i didn't apply until really late because i was unsure on what to do.

i dont really want to change course because like i said it took me a very long time to know what i wanted to do, and i'd have to go through that again and rethink of a new totally different course? you see my problem?
Reply 5
Just do Spanish and French and choose film modules. That makes far more sense than your plan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Guymd
well because it's very rare to combine two languages and a general subject, most unis offer one language and a subject, but i think two languages is better and broader. it took me so long to find my course and i didn't apply until really late because i was unsure on what to do.

i dont really want to change course because like i said it took me a very long time to know what i wanted to do, and i'd have to go through that again and rethink of a new totally different course? you see my problem?

but you can do film with one language which can still give you a good foundation for a career which is obvious since most unis offer one language
Original post by Guymd
A-levels results are very soon and I'm bricking it as we get closer but it isn't because I think i've failed (may have) but it's because I have no insurance choice to rely on if I fail my exams. I need ABB for Leicester university for film, spanish and french as a combined course, the other uni that offer this is exeter and I probably wont get accepted for exeter if I dont get accepted to leicester, and I cant just go into clearing because there wont be any uni that offer the course.

what can i do if I fail on the day? everyone's option is clearing but i cant do that and im super worried

Aberystwyth does European languages and also Aston does French and Spanish I think so their not the only two.
Original post by Ed's Balls

How come?
Original post by JoshDawg
How come?

Papers weren't marked properly, so your grade may be higher than what it would really be.
Papers weren't marked properly, so your grade may be higher than what it would really be.

Sounds like a good thing lol. But unis aren't taking this properly I assume?
Original post by JoshDawg
Sounds like a good thing lol. But unis aren't taking this properly I assume?

It's a two way street. Not sure about unis.
Reply 12
Original post by justag
Just do Spanish and French and choose film modules. That makes far more sense than your plan

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean choose film modules. if im not mistaken most unis dont offer film modules within languages. very few do.
Reply 13
Original post by Guymd
what do you mean choose film modules. if im not mistaken most unis dont offer film modules within languages. very few do.

Yes they do. If you do French you can often do French film modules - as well as history, literature, politics etc. Check with specific unis and what they offer.
Original post by Guymd

Hi there :smile: I'm working in the Leicester Clearing call centre, so I might be able to give some advice.

Honestly, Leicester are quite lenient - the grade requirements for my course were AAA, I got an offer at ABBB (I tok 4 A2s) and then got in on ABCD! So try not to panic too much.

If worst comes to worst and you don't get in, check out our clearing website www.le.ac.uk/clearing2015 and have a look at Film Studies/Modern Languages (whichever area it comes under). The grade requirements might go up or down throughout the day, so definitely keep checking!

If you meet or exceed the requirements, or are off by one grade, we might still be able to do something for you. If that's the case, give us a call on 0116 373 6000.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 15

but a lower mark could also be given?
Original post by Yousf
but a lower mark could also be given?

Earlier in the thread:
It's a two way street.

:wink:
Reply 17
Original post by ohsosofaay
Hi there :smile: I'm working in the Leicester Clearing call centre, so I might be able to give some advice.

Honestly, Leicester are quite lenient - the grade requirements for my course were AAA, I got an offer at ABBB (I tok 4 A2s) and then got in on ABCD! So try not to panic too much.

If worst comes to worst and you don't get in, check out our clearing website www.le.ac.uk/clearing2015 and have a look at Film Studies/Modern Languages (whichever area it comes under). The grade requirements might go up or down throughout the day, so definitely keep checking!

If you meet or exceed the requirements, or are off by one grade, we might still be able to do something for you. If that's the case, give us a call on 0116 373 6000.

omg thank you so much man, made me feel a lot betther about the whole process! tell me about leicester? how is it? ive never been i live too far. whats the uni life like? i've read everything there is to read so im well informed but some info would be nice if you got time?! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by ohsosofaay

Got ABC instead of ABB
Original post by Guymd
omg thank you so much man, made me feel a lot betther about the whole process! tell me about leicester? how is it? ive never been i live too far. whats the uni life like? i've read everything there is to read so im well informed but some info would be nice if you got time?! :smile:

No problem! Leicester's amazing, honestly. The campus is beautiful, very green and everything's pretty close together, and it's about a 10 minute walk from the city centre. Everyone's really friendly (which was the first thing everyone said when I moved in in my first year), and the teaching is brilliant in all areas (although of course there are a few lecturers whose style you might not get on with).

I'm trying to think of stuff to say that isn't in the prospectus or on the website haha! But if you want to see a bit for yourself, the University has a few YouTube videos on campus/teaching, accommodation, etc. They're on the Clearing website too if you can't be bothered to search :tongue:

I have a friend who does Spanish and another language here, and he loves it. I don't know anyone who does Film Studies so I can't really comment on that, but what I do know is that we have a "film theatre" in one of our blocks, which is legit just like a cinema! It's so cool :biggrin:

Good luck for today!

Quick Reply

Latest