The Student Room Group

Nursing Degree, Children and Child Care advice pleaseeeee

Hello every one. I am 27 years old and I work part time as a Care Worker and I'm a single mum to two beautiful children. My son is 7 and in full time school and my daughter will be 4 in October this year.

I have just been accepted for the Access to Nursing course which is a year long, I'm hoping to get help with child care so this year isn't bothering me so much. When next year comes and I'll hopefully be starting a Nursing Degree at University my daughter will be starting full time school so that's handy.

I've read so many negative things from people doing Nursing Degree's with children and it's made me feel quite worried now, I am still going to go ahead with my access course and Nursing Degree but I feel a bit negative. I was wondering if any one has been in the same position as me and how they cope/d with Uni, placements and children, I know it's going to be hard and I'm not going to be able to be the mum I am now but I just have to look at the bigger picture because I'm doing this for my children so they can have a good future.

What are the placements like and what did everyone do for child care when they was doing long hours in their placements?

Thank you all in advance
Reply 1
Hi
I have just been accepted on to the access to nursing course myself. My son is going to be 2 in November and after reading your thread have got scared myself lol. Following your thread now waiting for some hopefully positive advice.....

I have always wanted to be a nurse and like you I am doing it for my son as well as me so I see that as an extra incentive to follow through with the course... Plus I do have a very supportive family. But then this is before the actual course starts so maybe they will get bored of the babysitting..... eeks!
Reply 2
Original post by amyds2104
Hi
I have just been accepted on to the access to nursing course myself. My son is going to be 2 in November and after reading your thread have got scared myself lol. Following your thread now waiting for some hopefully positive advice.....

I have always wanted to be a nurse and like you I am doing it for my son as well as me so I see that as an extra incentive to follow through with the course... Plus I do have a very supportive family. But then this is before the actual course starts so maybe they will get bored of the babysitting..... eeks!

Hi,

Lol don't be scared by my post please, I'd hate you to feel how I do. There are people out there in our shoes who will have completed the course (they're obviously hidden somewhere lol by they are out there). Hopefully we get some positive replies on here. ANYONEEEEEEE OUT THEREEEEE LOL:nutcase:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3474123

this is a similar thread where I have posted a reply, hope it helps
Hi. I too am starting the access course in september and my little girl is only 6 month. We will be fine. If its what we want then we will make it work! X
Reply 5
Original post by dawnwilson
Hi. I too am starting the access course in september and my little girl is only 6 month. We will be fine. If its what we want then we will make it work! X

Thanks for your reply. That's it, we can do anything if we want it bad enough. Good luck x
Reply 6
Original post by lilibet01
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3474123

this is a similar thread where I have posted a reply, hope it helps

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 7
Hello,

I am in a similar situation I am 23 and just about to start my second year at college doing my health and social care level 3 diploma and sociology a level. I have two children who are aged 3 and 5.

I also want to go to university and study nursing but I am also worried about how I would cope with the course, placements and being a mum! So I am going to be looking into part time nursing degrees :-)

Sorry I am not much help but I will also be interested in any advice on this too!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by amber♡
Hello,

I am in a similar situation I am 23 and just about to start my second year at college doing my health and social care level 3 diploma and sociology a level. I have two children who are aged 3 and 5.

I also want to go to university and study nursing but I am also worried about how I would cope with the course, placements and being a mum! So I am going to be looking into part time nursing degrees :-)

Sorry I am not much help but I will also be interested in any advice on this too!! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. Nothing worth learning comes easy so we're all in for a hard few years but it will all be worth it in the end. I enrolled on my access course today and sat down with a financial advisor who is helping me apply for a bursary to help me with childcare. There's a lot of help out there on offer so I'm sure we'll all find a way to make it work. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending