Turn on thread page Beta

Should Intelligent Design Be Banned From Teaching? watch

• View Poll Results: Should Intelligent Design Be Taught In Schools?
    Yes!
    13.64%
    Yes, but only in Religious or Philosophical lessons.
    45.45%
    No.
    40.91%

ReputationRep:
    As I'm mostly a scientific person, I was wondering what people thought of Intelligent Design (ID). Personally, I think its awful that school children are learning this in science lessons. If people want to learn alternate theories of Darwin - Le Marck is ideal - it's based on a scientific theory unlike ID which is based on the idea that living things are based on an intelligent cause and not by Natural Selection. Should it be banned from all classrooms? or should it only be allowed in RE or Philosophy. Should legislation be introduced to enforce this? Some people, may not see this as important but if todays children can't differenciate between religion and science then the future of the scientific world could be under jeopardy. Also, ID's proponents are Christian conservatist apologetics - should we be worried of this rise of Christianity and science?

Discuss and explore!

ReputationRep:
    Goodness me no, it's frankly an awful idea. Good to see a Muslim embracing science and rejecting literalism, I wish there was more of your type about, makes a refreshing change

ReputationRep:
    I say no, ID is just a kind euphimism for Creationism. It is not scientific, only based upon myth.
    I learnt the teleological (design) argument in about a week in my A level course, it is quite poor anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it should be banned from science lessons. Schools are a place to teach children either the truth or, more often in the case of science, simplifications of the truth that will enable them to understand it later. ID is neither. God knows they'll be exposed to enough blatant lies outside the schoolroom.

ReputationRep:
    It should be taught in RS classes, just like we were taught genesis creation and evolution in RS. It has no place in Science. None whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it should be banned from teaching, it has no place in education.

ReputationRep:
    ID is a scientific hypothesis, not a religious one (so Phillip et al are completely wrong there, surprise surprise). It should not be taught in RS - the teleological argument does the same thing better (but still fails, ultimately). Scientific hypotheses which do not fit the evidence should not be taught in schools.

Thus, I voted 'No'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phawkins1988)
    ID is a scientific hypothesis, not a religious one (so Phillip et al are completely wrong there, surprise surprise). It should not be taught in RS - the teleological argument does the same thing better (but still fails, ultimately). Scientific hypotheses which do not fit the evidence should not be taught in schools.

Thus, I voted 'No'.
    Intelligent design implies that life is here as a result of the purposeful action of an intelligent designer. Thus it is religious, not scientific.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Archbishop of Canterbury summed it up very well, and very conclusively:

"Evolution should be taught in science lessons, ID in RE lessons."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ducky_72)
    Intelligent design implies that life is here as a result of the purposeful action of an intelligent designer. Thus it is religious, not scientific.
    He's not saying that.

He's saying that ID is not the phrase "and God created the universe". It's a scientific movement that uses bad science to justify religious beliefs. Specifically, it's the effort to disprove Darwin's theories, and evolution in general. You can't teach it in a RS class, and to teach it in science classes is simply wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafzal)
    As I'm mostly a scientific person, I was wondering what people thought of Intelligent Design (ID). Personally, I think its awful that school children are learning this in science lessons. If people want to learn alternate theories of Darwin - Le Marck is ideal - it's based on a scientific theory unlike ID which is based on the idea that living things are based on an intelligent cause and not by Natural Selection. Should it be banned from all classrooms? or should it only be allowed in RE or Philosophy. Should legislation be introduced to enforce this? Some people, may not see this as important but if todays children can't differenciate between religion and science then the future of the scientific world could be under jeopardy. Also, ID's proponents are Christian conservatist apologetics - should we be worried of this rise of Christianity and science?

Discuss and explore!
    I diddn't know ID was taught in UK science classrooms anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I diddn't know ID was taught in UK science classrooms anyway.
    It is in some private schools. google it. And one very high member of the RSC said it should be taught in every school.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely it should be taught in science. Something like this:

This is everything, this is how everything came to be. Some people believe that a god created all this, which is more believable?

I don't believe RE should be taught at all. Irrelevent, waste of space subject. Theology at university should be stopped too. You barely need to have started education to realise how ridiculous religion is.

ReputationRep:
    No, because it is religion made up to be science. Which it isn't.

It should be taught in RE, not the science class. That would be ok.

ReputationRep:
    It's not even science. Teaching ID in a science class is like teaching PE in maths..

ReputationRep:
    It should be taught, then immediately followed by a "how to point and laugh" lesson.

ReputationRep:
    FFS. Why have a different question for the poll than the thread...jeez...I clicked No now...

But basically, Intelligent Design should be taught because none of you have the right to withold information from people.

At least it gives children a sense of the majesty of the world around them. Pointing out things like the golden ratio or fibonacci in nature, I would laud also.

Basically to a lot of people who are only capable of thinking in lower "binary" logic, ID = Religion = Bad. Its not really that simple though is it. Its not as if you can just ignore the evidence ID is based upon. I`m more into mysticism than religion, in fact I don`t like religion at all, but I support any concept that gives insight and much needed attention to the founding principles of the reality around us. Whether this be through maths, biology or even music (which is of course also based on specific "divine" patterns).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ducky_72)
    The (false) idea that certain organisms are irreducibly complex and thus are not here due to evolution is a scientific hypothesis. ID proponents do not make religious claims, when they have their (bad) science hat on. They do not make claims about the nature of the designer.

ID is a scientific hypothesis. It doesn't fit the evidence, but that doesn't mean it isn't a scientific hypothesis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafzal)
    It is in some private schools. google it. And one very high member of the RSC said it should be taught in every school.
    What is taught in private schools is (or rather should be) none of the State's business in my opinion. Why does the State always feel compelled to interfere and bully?

ReputationRep:
    Because they know whats best for us.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.