The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Retake and Remark information! 20 August 2015

GCSE Results Day - Thursday 20th August 2015 - Retake and Remark Information

This information concerns GCSE results 2015. For 2017 GCSE remark information please click HERE.

Hello everyone :h: With GCSE Results Day coming up very quickly, I'm sure many of you are starting to get a bit worried about what to do if your results aren't what you were expecting. Of course we hope that you all get the grades you wanted, but for some of you there may be some disappointments :sad: This thread aims to give you all the information you need to be on top of how to go about getting a Retake or Remark!

I'll try to cover all the common questions on here, but if you still have questions then feel free to comment, and copy in this quote list so myself and the other TSR Support Team members who will be ready to answer your questions can get to you quickly :h:

[noparse]
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

Gingerbread101
x

Nirgilis
x
[/noparse]

We have some other threads for Results Day if this isn't quite what you're looking for. Before you read this thread, you might want to take a look at the Didn't do as well as you hoped? thread for general advice about lower than expected grades. We also have the GCSE Results Day Chat thread for general discussion and sharing your grades, and the Grade Boundaries thread, where the grade boundaries will be published as soon as released :awesome:

If you're interested in joining the army, have a look at Ask the Army forum.

So from myself, CT and the TSR Support Team- Best of luck in your results! :biggrin:

Retakes
If you understand why your grade was lower than you wanted it to be- maybe you know you didn't perform as well as you could, or you didn't revise enough- then you might want to consider a retake in the next exam season. While for most cases this will be June 2016, for some subjects such as Maths and English, you may be allowed to retake in November of this year. Please remember that this applies for if you're studying in England- it may be different if you're elsewhere.

Are you sure I have to wait until June next year?!
Yep! Previously there were exams in January, during which you could retake, but these were scrapped two years ago. However, for maths and English you may be able to retake in November.

If I just did badly in one exam, can I retake that one?
Before the changes a few years ago, you could retake a single unit (exam), but now if you want to retake, you have to retake the entire subject to satisfy the terminal rule (more information on this further down). You can however, use the same controlled assessments if you wish to retake.

But I can still just retake the one subject?
Yes- you can keep the results for the subjects you're happy with, and retake the ones you're not.

What's the terminal rule then?
The new terminal rule says that you need to have completed 100% of the qualification in the final exam series to be awarded the certificate. This means that if you decide to retake, you will end up with two certificates - one with the original mark and the other with the new, retake mark.

What if I do worse in the retake than my original exam?
Controlled assessments: Regardless of whether it is better or worse, the retake mark will be the one used to count for your grade.
Exams: As you will receive two (or more, depending on how many times you retake) certificates, you are entitled to say that you got the highest grade of them. For example, if you did two retakes and your grades were B, C, C (in the order of taking them), you are allowed to say that you got a B in that subject. However, if you are applying for university in the future, you will need to declare all of the grades you got.

If universities can see I did a retake, do they care?
They will only care if you're applying for a competitive course with GCSE requirements as well as A Level ones. While retakes may be frowned upon in this circumstance, most of the time they aren't seen too negatively.

What if I'm still not happy with my retake grade?
You can retake as many times as you want, as long as you meet the terminal rule every time.

How much does it cost?
There is usually a price, although you will have to contact your exams officer as it often varies between centres.

Remarks
If you think the grade you were given was incorrect, then you can get a remark. The deadline for asking for a remark is 20th September 2015.

What if the remark is worse than the original?
The remark is the final one that counts, whether it was better or worse than your original.

Do I have to get all of the units remarked, or can I just get one?
Unlike a retake, you can just put forward one unit (exam) for a remark.

How likely is it that my grade will change?
Generally, subjects like English and history where the marking is subjective and doesn't have a strict right or wrong answer, your grade is more likely to change.This is because one examiner might have a different viewpoint on your answer to another.

However, with less subjective subjects like maths and sciences, your grade is less likely to change, as there is a strict mark scheme. It's much more advisable to request a remark in subjective subjects as it is more likely to change, but remember that your mark can go up or down.

We suggest you talk to your teachers and discuss with others about the exam before making a final decision.

Can I get a controlled assessment remarked?
If your controlled assessments were marked by your teacher and a sample sent off for moderation, then you can't request for your controlled assessment to be individually remarked.

The centre can request for all of their controlled assessments to be remarked however, but this is up to the centre.

Can I request to see an exam script to help me decide?
For GCSE, you cannot see an exam script (a copy of the exam with your answers and the examiners marking) before requesting a remark. You can request to see the original copy of your script, but it will mean you won't be allowed to remark. After your remark however, you can request to see the paper (at an additional cost).

What about a clerical check?
A clerical check is a check up and a recount of your marks to see that none were missed. The questions themselves will not be remarked. It is very unlikely that this will change your grade, so a remark is advised over this.

Do I have to pay?
There is normally a charge for a remark, but talk to your exams officer who will clarify this for you, as charges vary between exam boards and centres. However, if your grade does change, the cost will be refunded.

These links should provide you with a summary of the costs:
- AQA
- Edexcel
- OCR
- WJEC

Retake or Remark?
Everyone's situation differs, but here are some common scenarios for you to compare yours to.

If you didn't understand the content of the exam or external factors affected your performance
A retake is definitely advised over a remark.

If you were a few UMS points of the next grade boundary
As mentioned previously, the chance of your mark changing from a remark varies depending on the subject. If you were short of a few UMS in a subjective subject, then a remark is advisable as a first step. Always remember that your mark can go down as well as up, but if you are near the top of a grade boundary, it is very unlikely to go down to the next grade.

However, for a less subjective subject, it is less likely to change. It isn't impossible, just unlikely. However, it may be more advisable to retake rather than get a remark for this.

If you don't think you'll be able to cope with the workload of retaking, but your UMS mark isn't close to the next boundary
This is a much trickier situation. If the subject is very important for your future plans (e.g. you wish to take it at university), then you may want to retake the exam.

However, your A Levels/IB/Other Level 3 Qualifications are more important than your GCSE grades, so you need to consider whether it is worth risking these grades by adding to your workload, if you don't really need to improve the GCSE grade.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

Gingerbread101
x

Nirgilis
x

Could you get the same paper remarked more than one time? and how long does it take usually to get your remarked grade?
Reply 2
If I want to request a marked paper can I do so without it being remarked?
What if you think you have been given the wrong grade, perhaps someone else's (e.g, not a grade lower, but if you were predicted an A* and your slip says you got a D)?

Would you request a remark or a clerical check?
Original post by Knowledgeis
Could you get the same paper remarked more than one time? and how long does it take usually to get your remarked grade?

Not that I'm aware :tongue: . Though don't quote me on that :tongue:

And remarked grades will usually be returned within 30 days :tongue:

Original post by aamirac
If I want to request a marked paper can I do so without it being remarked?

Yes. Ask your Exam Officer if you want this :h:

Original post by BEARichards
What if you think you have been given the wrong grade, perhaps someone else's (e.g, not a grade lower, but if you were predicted an A* and your slip says you got a D)?

Would you request a remark or a clerical check?

It's unlikely to happen to be honest. But you would request a clerical check in that instance :h:
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

Gingerbread101
x

Nirgilis
x

if you surpass the grade point needed for the sixth form you would like to attend, For example, they ask for 6.5 and you get 7.3,(a* = 8 a = 7 etc) but get a B in a subject that they wanted an A in, is it likely that you'll still get accepted into that subject, in that sixth form, without any need for a retake or remark?
if you surpass the grade point needed for the sixth form you would like to attend, For example, they ask for 6.5 and you get 7.3,(a* = 8 a = 7 etc) but get a B in a subject that they wanted an A in, is it likely that you'll still get accepted into that subject, in that sixth form, without any need for a retake or remark?

It depends on how strict the subject department is but there will be no guarantee that they'll let you study that subject, I'm afraid.

The best thing to do would be to contact them if that happens- they wouldn't be obliged to accept you but there is a chance they might :smile:
usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

Gingerbread101
x

Nirgilis
x

What would be the rough estimate percentage that marks change (go up) after remarks?
(edited 8 years ago)
What would be the rough estimate percentage that marks change (go up) after remarks?

I'm afraid this isn't really something that can be answered as it's all down to each individual paper. Even if I had a percentage, it wouldn't necessarily be very helpful :redface:
:redface:

Assuming the worst happens on Thursday and I fail English Language and I resit at sixth form is it likely to take up one of my 4 A level choices?
Original post by Kieran26199
:redface:

Assuming the worst happens on Thursday and I fail English Language and I resit at sixth form is it likely to take up one of my 4 A level choices?

It depends on how the timetabling works at the Sixth Form :yes: It may be the case that if you get free periods then it could be done in them, but the best thing to do would be to check with the Sixth Form as every case will be different :smile:

Don't forget that remarks can also go down :tongue:
Reply 13
In the rare chance I fail Maths what do I do?

Is there any possibility Sixth Form will still let me do a-levels? And also is it likely I'll have to redo the exam as an external student somewhere else?

I really have no idea what I'd do.
Exam 60%Controlled assessment 40%Not sure what I got in my controlled assessment but the last time I asked my teacher she said I got a d,myself and my parents asked her to let me redo it but she always said don't worry. So let's say I got a d in controlled assessment And c in the exam Have I pass or failed ?
Hi 😊

Thinking of the worst that could happen on Thursday, if I get a D in Maths and don't quite make the C, is it possible for me to pay and resit the exam myself away from the College (as my college does not offer GCSE subjects so you can't fail as they can't provide resists).

So basically, could I pay for a resit and just revise on my own rather than have to go to another college so they could teach me as I really don't have any other options? Like I would still legally be resitting Maths but I wouldn't have to be taught at College, I'd just take it in myself. Is that possible?
Original post by Helfus

Is there any possibility Sixth Form will still let me do a-levels? And also is it likely I'll have to redo the exam as an external student somewhere else?

Now this is exactly what I want know. I so get that cos in the smaller possibility I fail Matgs I still wanna go to the same
College as I have no other options as Id have to change my subjects elsewhere etc. So I'd need to do it externally like you say. But is that an actual thing? Like is that even possible? Lol 😅😅😂
Original post by Helfus

Some sixth forms have the option for you to retake the maths GCSE alongside your A Levels, provided they are confident you will get a C in the retake :smile: You will have to contact them and ask, as there is no guarantee they will let you do this, it's at their discretion :smile:
Original post by Johnmathew
Exam 60%Controlled assessment 40%Not sure what I got in my controlled assessment but the last time I asked my teacher she said I got a d,myself and my parents asked her to let me redo it but she always said don't worry. So let's say I got a d in controlled assessment And c in the exam Have I pass or failed ?

It would really depend where abouts in a C and D you are- it may be that they average out just as a C, or just below a C, which makes all of the difference :yes: You really need to wait until you have your UMS grades, but by then you'll know anyway :smile: Best not to worry, there's nothing you can do about it now, I'm sure you'll have done better than expected :h:
Original post by barns.styles
Hi 😊

Thinking of the worst that could happen on Thursday, if I get a D in Maths and don't quite make the C, is it possible for me to pay and resit the exam myself away from the College (as my college does not offer GCSE subjects so you can't fail as they can't provide resists).

So basically, could I pay for a resit and just revise on my own rather than have to go to another college so they could teach me as I really don't have any other options? Like I would still legally be resitting Maths but I wouldn't have to be taught at College, I'd just take it in myself. Is that possible?

You could take it as an external candidate, but you would have to make sure your college are aware of this and will accept it :smile: However, another option would be to retake the maths exam as a candidate in another centre (another school or sixth form) as you'll then get any extra help and tuition you need :h:
Original post by barns.styles
Now this is exactly what I want know. I so get that cos in the smaller possibility I fail Matgs I still wanna go to the same
College as I have no other options as Id have to change my subjects elsewhere etc. So I'd need to do it externally like you say. But is that an actual thing? Like is that even possible? Lol 😅😅😂

Doing exams as an external candidate is possible, but it is much more recommended to just take it in another centre as I mentioned above, as you'll then have teachers to help you rather than just doing it by yourself :h:
Heya, got a question. I'm continuing History next year and the grade I received for my GCSE was three marks below an A. Should I get it remarked?
Cheers x
Original post by Just_Grace
Heya, got a question. I'm continuing History next year and the grade I received for my GCSE was three marks below an A. Should I get it remarked?
Cheers x

It's up to you! In subjects like History where the marking is more subjective, there may be a greater chance in your mark changing. Since you're close to the A grade, it is unlikely that your mark will drop significantly to pull you down to a C so I'd tend to go towards remarking it but just bear in mind that if your mark doesn't change, you won't get a refund.

Regardless, a B is great - well done. :biggrin:

Latest