The Student Room Group

Quitting University..... what next?

Ok, so I have never been good at education, just pretty much passing, getting lucky, attendance been and always have been a nightmare. As a result of not being good at education, I'm struggling incredibly with the course now.

I am in second year of Uni now, I failed 3 exams for 3 modules, as a result of the stress and depress that revision caused me last time, which resulted in further medical issues, panic attacks when trying to sleep causing me sleep deprivation "the fear of sleeping", in which I sought my Doctor's help in order to get those 3 exams deferred, which they were, now it is time again to re-sit these 3 exams, but I'm struggling to focus, have lack of concentration, and physically and mentally can feel the effects that were brought upon me last time, and I'm concerned for my health as a result. I don't wish to follow up any further studying because I'm worried, stressed, and my anxiety levels are through the roof.

I simply want to leave this course/Uni/studying as a result, and would not deny the opportunity to just sit in my room and close the door and pretend none of this is happening, but that also worries me a lot more.

I'm concerned about what implications will have on the Student Finance aspect. Other then the £9000 tuition fee's, and the maintenance loan, (I should of received the maximum grant - but that had other issues within itself), The maintenance loan is roughly £2600. How much of this do I need to pay back, if I do, Will I have to pay this back instantly, or once earning above £21k, I don't see how I can even pay this back if they want it instantly which is worrying me a lot.. What should I do, what is the process, who do I need to speak to.

If anyone read's this, please don't suggest me to continue on with studying. I've given it too much thought and the thought of this all is driving me into a loony bin. I just want it to be over.

Thanks In Advance.

S.F.
Reply 1
As long as you officially leave just before the start of your second year, then you shouldn't have to repay anything immediately. Put off telling the uni for as long as possible. It will mean turning up to the exams, but if you already know that you'll be leaving, you can just be there and turn in a blank paper - see it as a financial delaying tactic rather than an exam, to make sure you don't stress over it. If you leave just before the start of your second year, you will only have to start repaying your SF loans in instalments once you're earning over the £21,000 threshold.

Your Maintenance Loan covers you through the summer holidays. If you leave during the holidays, you'll have to immediately repay anything due to cover you after your official leaving date and before the start of the third year.

Sorry uni hasn't worked out for you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending