Is the death penalty too lenient?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Let's assume there is no afterlife. Death is a quick release, especially if its via a humane method. Yes, their life is being taken away from them, but they don't have an afterlife to think about that - they are obliterated from existence. Punishment, in essence, is a form of torture, and the purpose of torture is to inflict pain or at least uncomfortableness (mental or physical) upon the victim. There's none of that with the death penalty - the offender isn't given years to think about their crime and cannot feel the long-term punishment of the death penalty... because they are dead.

With life imprisonment, especially if it's in a 'tough' prison, you have years of mind-numbing boredom, your freedom is taken away and you will be forced to think about your crime(s). This is probably why so many killers have committed suicide in prison - death is the easier way out.

Now, I am against the death penalty for all the other usual reasons, but I want this thread to focus on the (usually right-wing) view that the death penalty is the tougher, harsher option. I don't think it is.

If I was faced with life imprisonment (say at age 20 - so that could be decades) in a miserable prison or a quick, swift death - I would probably choose the latter.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think perhaps the right-wing likes the death penalty because it lowers the financial burden on the taxpayer

But sorry, back to your point. To me it's a very subjective thing, everyone will have their own worse case scenario. I would suggest that some of the deals made in US courts suggests that in general the guitly themselves prefer to avoid the death penalty. So perhaps overall the death penalty is the worst option?
noodlesoups
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Capital punishment is not about punishment though. It about protecting the public from serious violent criminals.

Places like Singapore, which have mandatory capital punishment, have some of the lowest crime rates in the world.

Britains justice system, which releases serious violent criminals back out onto the street after a light slap on the wrist, is barbaric and uncivilised.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by offhegoes)
I would suggest that some of the deals made in US courts suggests that in general the guitly themselves prefer to avoid the death penalty.
This is true.

Not to mention, one of the biggest criticisms of the US death penalty is how many appeals people get. If death really was so much better than life in prison people wouldn't be doing their best to avoid it at every turn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (23)
6.44%
Uncertainty around my education (39)
10.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
11.76%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.45%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.04%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.48%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.36%
Financial worries (25)
7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.2%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.16%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.8%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.08%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.28%

Watched Threads