70th Anniversary of Hiroshima & Nagasaki

Watch
username931319
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
There's always ahistorical views abound this topic. Japan was looking to pursue peace and surrender, they also began to consider unconditional surrender; their only contention was the dissolution of Emperor from his role. In all other terms they had conceded. They continually implored for their concern to Portugal and other non-actors in the War. However, it's also true to say that tenably, considering American mono-obsession on becoming Emperor-taxidermists (they wanted his surrender only to re-instate him and use him to their advantage in post-war period) - that Japan would have entrenched themselves further and potentially, the sum of lives lost on both sides would have amounted to more than the bombs anyway. Another contention is the fire-bombing of Japan slaughtering far more civilians than the bombs ever did, so the umbrage is largely symbolic rather than ethical outrage. My opinion, and that of Eisenhower, is that the bombs were ultimately justified only as an extension of American fret over Soviet apogee in Europe; a threat. One could argue they were necessary, but for that, you'd have to be pretty trenchant in your estimation Japan wouldn't have surrendered (which I don't find valid). In conclusion, it wasn't as justified as some like to say, nor was it as un-justified as others say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shannette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It was true that inhabitants of Hiroshima and Nagasaki suffered a lot. One may argue it was inherently immoral for the United States to drop the atomic bombings, but the approach of the Imperial Japanese Army on their march to Nanjing, China was also devastating. Likewise, the Japanese soldiers murdered an estimated 40,000 to over 300,000 Chinese civilians, and, what was worse, they perpetrated widespread rape and looting.

[An article on the "Contest to kill 100 people using a sword" published in the Tokyo Nichi Nichi Shimbun. The headline reads, "'Incredible Record'] - wikipedia

As Winston Churchill noted, massive casualties on both sides would have occurred in Operation Downfall if the bomb had not been struck. Therefore forcing Japan to surrender was not the only prime intention of the United States, but to also prevent disastrous consequences caused by the planned invasion of Japan.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
People forget that massive civilian casualties were happening anyway, from conventional bombing and firebombing raids. In particular, the Tokyo raid of the 9th March killed many more people than either nuke did. The fact that atomic bombs were used instead on Hiroshima and Nagasaki made absolutely no difference to the people who lived there, because their cities would still have been targeted for destruction even if America decided not to go ahead with a nuclear attack.

So instead of denouncing the atomic bombings in particular, why don't you denounce the strategic bombing of civilians in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
another thread on this topic?

What was wrong with the other two?
username931319
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
another thread on this topic?

What was wrong with the other two?
Unsure. I didn't create this thread. A moderator took my quote and created a new thread lel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by AntisthenesDogger)
Unsure. I didn't create this thread. A moderator took my quote and created a new thread lel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fare enough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.49%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.51%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.19%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
41.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.19%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (17)
7.91%

Watched Threads