Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    met people a couple of times.

I don't think the first really counts, I was in a chatroom and I knew one of the people irl and someone else said something to her that made me realise he was at the same uni. It turned out we were in the same room.

Then there was a friend of mine who decided she was going to meet a guy on line. She lived in Kidderminster and he was in Dagenham and she started to arrange to meet him in London. Then he started typing things like "I think I'm falling in love with you"

Which sent alarm bells ringing in my head but not hers. She was determined to go so I said OK we'll both go. Then he started saying "I don't want to come to London, come to my house" and he got really worked up because I was going to be there. Oh and I forgot to say she had met him in a role playing game.

Two days before 'the meet' he asked her if he could move in with her, and then said he didn't have any money to get to London. In the end I said "Lets go to London for a couple of days and just have a laugh, tell him to meet us at a certain time and place, if he turns up fine, if not fine" If it had been me the meeting would be off but she seemed to think she was going to meet him, fall in love and live happily ever after. Anyway there was another guy we had both started chatting to and then started e-mailing and we invited him along as well.

So we got to London and went to the meeting place early, (meeting in Garfunkles, we wanted a drink as dutch courage) strange guy was already there, and he was strange. He'd been there 2 hours.

We sat down and he presented my friend with a paper hat he'd made out of a flyer and said "this is for you, it's origami, something I'm into". She looked at it and said "Oh I used to do that, I made the frogs that jump".

Next the other guy arrived and everything was. well strange, stilted conversation, first guy not making eye contact with any one but talking to us and wouldn't use our real names.

So we then went into central London and after a while strange guy left. We said goodbye and after he'd walked out the door we started to have a real laugh with guy number 2.

We arranged to meet again the following week. (Guy no2 not strange guy) and then we met again and then I dated him for a while and now we are really good friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    met people a couple of times.

I don't think the first really counts, I was in a chatroom and I knew one of the people irl and someone else said something to her that made me realise he was at the same uni. It turned out we were in the same room.

Then there was a friend of mine who decided she was going to meet a guy on line. She lived in Kidderminster and he was in Dagenham and she started to arrange to meet him in London. Then he started typing things like "I think I'm falling in love with you"

Which sent alarm bells ringing in my head but not hers. She was determined to go so I said OK we'll both go. Then he started saying "I don't want to come to London, come to my house" and he got really worked up because I was going to be there. Oh and I forgot to say she had met him in a role playing game.

Two days before 'the meet' he asked her if he could move in with her, and then said he didn't have any money to get to London. In the end I said "Lets go to London for a couple of days and just have a laugh, tell him to meet us at a certain time and place, if he turns up fine, if not fine" If it had been me the meeting would be off but she seemed to think she was going to meet him, fall in love and live happily ever after. Anyway there was another guy we had both started chatting to and then started e-mailing and we invited him along as well.

So we got to London and went to the meeting place early, (meeting in Garfunkles, we wanted a drink as dutch courage) strange guy was already there, and he was strange. He'd been there 2 hours.

We sat down and he presented my friend with a paper hat he'd made out of a flyer and said "this is for you, it's origami, something I'm into". She looked at it and said "Oh I used to do that, I made the frogs that jump".

Next the other guy arrived and everything was. well strange, stilted conversation, first guy not making eye contact with any one but talking to us and wouldn't use our real names.

So we then went into central London and after a while strange guy left. We said goodbye and after he'd walked out the door we started to have a real laugh with guy number 2.

We arranged to meet again the following week. (Guy no2 not strange guy) and then we met again and then I dated him for a while and now we are really good friends.

lol thats funny, pretty risky though wasn't it. but interesting

ReputationRep:
    It's funny now. At the time it was surreal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    It's funny now. At the time it was surreal
    i cant believe your friend didnt see the weirdness in the first guy??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    i cant believe your friend didnt see the weirdness in the first guy??
    Well she's no longer a friend, that's to do with something else, she seems to have drifted into a fantasy world.

She told a mutual friend that she has alergies and if she faints he should get a knife and a biro and do a make shift trachyotemy! how stupid is that?

Oh and her 'alergy' is to tomato seeds, not tomatoes just the seeds and only ordinary sized tomatoes not cherry tomatoes. She eats loads of pizza though, you'd think if you had a severe alergy you'd avoid tomato products but ..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Well she's no longer a friend, that's to do with something else, she seems to have drifted into a fantasy world.

She told a mutual friend that she has alergies and if she faints he should get a knife and a biro and do a make shift trachyotemy! how stupid is that?

Oh and her 'alergy' is to tomato seeds, not tomatoes just the seeds and only ordinary sized tomatoes not cherry tomatoes. She eats loads of pizza though, you'd think if you had a severe alergy you'd avoid tomato products but ..........
    lol ok now seems like thye're the perfect match!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I thought I'd ask because I'm curious now, after reading a thread in another forum that went offtopic

So, ever met anyone from online? What was it like?
    i met this one guy, but stopped talking to him online afterwards. and yes i was only 14 and he was freaky

ReputationRep:
    i met a guy off the net who i'd been chatting to for about a week - we knew nothing about each other, but it turned out alright coz we got on really well. i still meet up and go out with him and his mates - so my experience was all good!

i dont think i would do it again tho - its way too risky and i dont think i would be lucky a second time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayB)
    i met a guy off the net who i'd been chatting to for about a week - we knew nothing about each other, but it turned out alright coz we got on really well. i still meet up and go out with him and his mates - so my experience was all good!

i dont think i would do it again tho - its way too risky and i dont think i would be lucky a second time!

yeah probably not a good idea, especially your age young lady!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah probably not a good idea, especially your age young lady!
    why do all u guys make a big deal about my age

u all thought i was older, so treat me like i am!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    I thought I'd ask because I'm curious now, after reading a thread in another forum that went offtopic

So, ever met anyone from online? What was it like?
    The only people I'd met online were friends of a friend who'd just moved to a new school. As I'd intially met her at school, I don't think it counts as I purely online encounter

ReputationRep:
    i met a girl who i first spoke to on ICQ, and it turned out that she was in the local city youth wind band (the sister organisation of our youth orchestra). we ended up going on the same residential course, and i was in the swimming pool, when she swam up to me and said 'excuse me, are you ....'

it was a bit weird to say the least, but that was about 4 years ago, and now i'm still quite good friends with her. although we did have friends in common before we met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    i met a girl who i first spoke to on ICQ, and it turned out that she was in the local city youth wind band (the sister organisation of our youth orchestra). we ended up going on the same residential course, and i was in the swimming pool, when she swam up to me and said 'excuse me, are you ....'

it was a bit weird to say the least, but that was about 4 years ago, and now i'm still quite good friends with her. although we did have friends in common before we met.
    4Ed u are here

ReputationRep:
    I have but for a good reason- I got to know a few people who were going on the same 'no parents summer camp' type holiday in France as me. A couple of them I started talking to at the start of 2001 and I consider a couple of them some of my best friends even now, we meet up loads even though they all live far away.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a couple of meetups on another forum. It was in London, but people came from as far as the Westcountry, Wales, East Anglia and the Midlands.

I'm glad I went, I don't consider them 'internet friends' now, I class them as actual friends.

And since meeting them all, Ive now started seeing one of them.

All in all, it was a good idea, barring my parents' reaction to it when they found out I'd gone :/

Oh, and I'd never go and meet one to one first time, or even a couple of people. It'd have to be a mass meetup for me to go.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to meet one of my longterm net friends next Monday . I've known him for about three years, and I know another net friend who's met him so I'm pretty sure he's not going to be a weirdo . Still scared of what he's going to think of me though

ReputationRep:
    I had two particularly nice people who I chatted to on MSN (they actually ended up meeting and are getting married this summer!) and after they got together they went on holiday around the country. One day I got a txt saying they were going through my town (I live in a tourist town anyway) and so these two people met up with me and my boyfriend in a bar where some of our friends were playing and we had such a nice time!

ReputationRep:
    I have met people from online 6 times...all but twice time however, they were friends of friends who'd just put us in touch on MSN. So when we met up, the mutual friend had always been there which made it a lot less awkward! The other two times...one was really cool and we got on etc...the other person...it just a bit awkward :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The first time I met up with someone from the internet, was when a guy emailed me and added me to his msn after he saw some info. about me in a Mensa magazine......we lived two hours away from where i live...and he just told me that he can come...and asked if I'd like to meet him...but this was 1/2 after talking to eachother on the internet...He also happened to break his leg the day before, but he still came hopping all the way to london(literally-hopping!) Lol, that was so sweet....<sighs>, but at the time, I was making a really big deal out of it, and i was really scared of meeting him(i was 14), and I was taking all these precautions...(well, you should! It's still very dangerous!!!) But he's from Mensa...so i thought it's ok...he's not a complete stranger, right?!
    I also met someone on the internet by accident about a year ago....this was in a chat room, but i only went(i neveeer go in chat rooms...they're creepy) cause my friend's(from russia) msn wasn't working...and so she told me to meet her in this russian chat room...and while I was talking to her, i saw this random sub-chat room called London....sooo...I decided to check it out...and i got talking to this really nice girl from london(not a guy! isn't it extremely unusual for people to meet up with ppl from the internet that are of the same sex?!?!)...and now we're best friends!!! And I'm friends with her sister and brother, who are around the same age...so that's great She's the best friend i've ever had...and i met her online....and by accident! AND she happens to live 10 mins away from my house!!! What a coincidence!
    But im sure if I'd do it again....sometimes it can be quite creey...

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question... did everyone's parents find out they'd been to meet someone How did they react?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.