The Student Room Group

Student accommodation- can I cancel due to pregnancy??

Hi there.

I have just found out that I am pregnant going into my second year of studies which is the least of my worries as I can suspend my studies for a year. However in the summer I signed with an agency for a 10 month accommodation agreement, can anybody help me how to best go about this as I simply won't be able to afford it due to moving back home? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Have a read through your contract and see if it says you need to find a replacement tenant.
Contact the agency ASAP. But be aware that unless your contract specifically includes a break clause or the procedure to replace a tenant, they don't have to allow you to end the contract early.

Is it an individual tenancy or a joint one? If it's joint you will need to contact your co-tenants and give them an opportunity to vet any replacement tenant. Not only would they have to live with this person but they would be jointly liable for any damage to the house.
You need to talk to the accommodation people. I'm sure that they are understanding of cases like this so you should get in touch as soon as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending