The Student Room Group

AS grades vs offer grades?

I will be applying to uni later on this year and am wondering how I can choose realistic courses, what were your actual AS grades compared to what you were given as an offer? Then what you actually achieved to get into uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I cant comment on what I actually achieved as I haven't got my results yet, but my AS grades were AAAA and my offer was AAA. One of my friends got ABBB at AS, predicted A*AA on UCAS and their offer was A*AA, another friend got CDD and got an offer for BBB, predicted BBC. It's mainly about the predicted grades your teachers give you
Usually if a uni gives you an offer they'd give you their standard offer irrespective of what grades you have for AS or your predictions. They usually just use those to determine whether or not to give you an offer in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I received the result ABBD today (A in English, B in Geography, B in Biology and a D in Spanish) - I am disappointed I did not get an A in Geography and I was hoping for a higher grade in Spanish as I am desperate to drop Biology. I intend to retake Geography and Spanish and I know I can boost the grades. I was hoping to apply to Leeds and Birmingham for Geography with International Study, I was just wondering how realistic it would be for them to make me offer if I do not have an A in Geography and have got Spanish which makes my grades look less attractive? Any help or guidance will be really appreciated! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
As umutalberts says, you'll more than likely receive their standard offer. Both have big Geography departments, and not all their students will have an A at A-level. For most universities, there is a difference between what they ask for and what they will accept. I really wouldn't worry.
Reply 5
My AS Grades were ABBE and I needed AAB. I luckily got an unconditional but ended with BBB at A level
AS: ABB
Offer: AAA
Actual: A*AA
Original post by ellabellla
I will be applying to uni later on this year and am wondering how I can choose realistic courses, what were your actual AS grades compared to what you were given as an offer? Then what you actually achieved to get into uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely depends on the university but my friend got BBCD at AS, got all five of his offers and firmed a course for AAB and got in (with ABC).
Original post by Plagioclase
Completely depends on the university but my friend got BBCD at AS, got all five of his offers and firmed a course for AAB and got in (with ABC).

Could you list his/her offer grade requirement? What was his/her prediction?
Original post by Semaphore
Could you list his/her offer grade requirement? What was his/her prediction?

The grade requirement for Nottingham was AAB. He was predicted AAB (which was obviously completely unrealistic) and ended up with ABC, but was still accepted. It was for Neuroscience.
Original post by Plagioclase
The grade requirement for Nottingham was AAB. He was predicted AAB (which was obviously completely unrealistic) and ended up with ABC, but was still accepted. It was for Neuroscience.

AAB is not unrealistic. Did he/her resit?
Original post by Semaphore
AAB is not unrealistic. Did he/her resit?

AAB is pretty unrealistic if you're starting with BBCD, that's a grade up in every subject - bearing in mind that statistically, most people don't improve at A2. It was also unrealistic knowing this student. They did resit.
Reply 12
I'll give my story as an example if it helps-
My AS grades were ACD, A2 Prediction A*AB and offer grades AAB.
Well I got overall grades BBC, missed the degree offer, but got into the foundation course so it's all good :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending