I have a lisp... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
According to everyone I have a lisp and I can never notice it. When I speak, especially to new people they always point it out. It basically sounds like a "sh" sound rather than a "s" sound so I'd probably pronounce words like snake like shnake. Is this a big problem, later in life say when I go to a job interview or even apply for university. People often assume Im not so bright when thats the case and often people mimic the way I sound. Im only 15 now, but the only way to get rid of a lisp is speech therapy. Is this free on the NHS, or do I have to pay for it? What do you think of people who have lisps?
Andrew657Thomas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because you're 15 everyone cares about everyone and everything, when you get into college maybe a few idiots will mimic you but in university no one really cares about that!

Google search how to get rid of a lisp I suppose?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 years ago
I got bullied a hell of a lot because of my lisp. My parents didn't even notice it until I was about 13 and my grandmother pointed it out to them. I got speech therapy on the NHS which was free but tbh I didn't really benefit from it. The speech therapist I saw was only used to dealing with little kids and I felt very uncomfortable with her methods, it just didn't work for me. I still have a lisp (I'm 27) and when I was at uni I did hear a few people making fun of me occasionally which did feel ****ty. It's totally put me off speaking to people I don't know and I feel judged about it a lot even if the person doesn't put across that they care. I have a lot of confidence problems with interviews and I hate speaking to people on the phone - especially bad as I live at an address with "sixth" in which I'm particularly bad at saying.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 years ago
I had speech therapy as a child due to being tongue tied (this caused a lisp, unable to pronounce certain words and a stutter), for me it didn't really do a lot (maybe because I was a child and didn't understand the importance). I later had an operation to fix my tongue , I still can't pronounce certain words and stutter sometimes. Nobody ever makes a comment or cares, once you get into work people are more mature and don't worry about such things! If you think you'd benefit from speech therapy go visit your gp and enquire about it. I can assure you that nobody will make comments or care though once you're in work or university!
DaveJay1313
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I have had the same problem all my life (I'm 36). I went to speech therapist all through primary school but it was useless, they never understood the issue. In the last year I started googling to first identify the lisp I have and secondly tips to rectify it. I, like you pronounce S as Sh. I also struggle with words with Ch and J/G. From my googling I identified the lisp I have (and perhaps) yourself as a 'slushy lisp'. Basically from when I began speaking I formed the sounds S/Ch/J/G with the wrong part of my tougne. To cut a long story short, I have found a way to rectify this. If you say the letter T repeatedly really quickly, you will start to make the right sound for the letter S (No joke, try it). I couldn't believe this when I did it, so simple yet somthing I hadn't masters all my life so far. Once I was able to make the correct S sound, I was able to master the other sounds I had struggled with previously. The funny thing with this is because I have been pronouncing these sounds wrong my whole life, when I pronounce them correctly it sounds in my head like I am mispronouncing them. To prove it sounded right I would repeatedly record myself speaking until I was convinced. I hope this goes some way to helping anyone reading this because I know how much speech issues can dent your confidence. Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (66)
8.04%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.8%
No, but I want to start (303)
36.91%
No, I am unable to (203)
24.73%
No, I chose not to (226)
27.53%