The Student Room Group

has anyone been entered for a further maths gcse.

Not alot of people are entered for it and I don't understand why, it's a great way to prepare for maths and further maths a-level. Is anyone else doing it?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ihatehannah
Not alot of people are entered for it and I don't understand why, it's a great why to prepare for maths and further maths a-level. Is anyone else doing it?

I haven't been entered but I would like to be. Normal GCSE maths is far too easy for me and I really want to be challenged with A-level maths and even further maths GCSE but I'm sure if it's too late to ask my teacher about it. I'm starting year 11 after the holidays so I'm not really sure, but it would be a great opportunity for me.
Original post by Guy123
I haven't been entered but I would like to be. Normal GCSE maths is far too easy for me and I really want to be challenged with A-level maths and even further maths GCSE but I'm sure if it's too late to ask my teacher about it. I'm starting year 11 after the holidays so I'm not really sure, but it would be a great opportunity for me.

Tell me about it!! Normal maths is unbelievably easy, in fact I wish I was in year 9 , normal maths will be much harder for them. If I were you , I would convince your teacher that you enjoy maths and you're capable of doing it because it's so worth it and looks good on paper.
Reply 3
Tell me about it!! Normal maths is unbelievably easy, in fact I wish I was in year 9 , normal maths will be much harder for them. If I were you , I would convince your teacher that you enjoy maths and you're capable of doing it because it's so worth it and looks good on paper.

I think that's definitely a plan for both of us :wink:
I think I could easily have done my maths GCSE in year 9 or even year 8 and got a solid A*. Now I'm pretty much getting near enough full marks, without revising.
What about you, how are you doing in mocks?
Original post by Guy123
I think that's definitely a plan for both of us :wink:
I think I could easily have done my maths GCSE in year 9 or even year 8 and got a solid A*. Now I'm pretty much getting near enough full marks, without revising.
What about you, how are you doing in mocks?

I've done two mocks in year 10, 92% for the first one and 96% for the second one. I've done some a-level stuff too like differentiation and integration, just for fun :biggrin:
Reply 5
I've done two mocks in year 10, 92% for the first one and 96% for the second one. I've done some a-level stuff too like differentiation and integration, just for fun :biggrin:

That's just reminded me, I have to start learning that A-level stuff (I only know standard deviation, although my teacher is kind of jealous because I know it). I just can't find time because I have so much revision to do for other subjects.
Original post by Guy123
That's just reminded me, I have to start learning that A-level stuff (I only know standard deviation, although my teacher is kind of jealous because I know it). I just can't find time because I have so much revision to do for other subjects.

I'm also doing a Statistics GCSE and standard deviation is really easy, Ofc, your other subjects are more important than a-level, so I suggest focusing on them first.

Those results are goals, how did you do it :redface:
Reply 8
I'm also doing a Statistics GCSE and standard deviation is really easy, Ofc, your other subjects are more important than a-level, so I suggest focusing on them first.

Yeah, that's why I'm not focusing too much on higher level maths.
However, it would be pretty nice if I could do a further maths GCSE (just for fun :tongue:)
Which exam board is this for?

Is this for the edexcel igcse?
Original post by munnaa
Those results are goals, how did you do it :redface:

doing alot of past papers across all exam boards, not just my own and using Mymaths for the stuff I don't know how to do. I also do the modular past papers , not just the linear ones.
Original post by Moordland
Which exam board is this for?

Is this for the edexcel igcse?

yes, well for me at least.
doing alot of past papers across all exam boards, not just my own and using Mymaths for the stuff I don't know how to do. I also do the modular past papers , not just the linear ones.

Does doing past papers from different exam boards help? I don't really like MyMaths its not really exhaustive...but thanks for the tips! :h:
Reply 13
Original post by munnaa
Does doing past papers from different exam boards help? I don't really like MyMaths its not really exhaustive...but thanks for the tips! :h:

Using different exam boards does kind of help, it just gives you a wider range of questions to practise.
Original post by munnaa

yup, the specifications are extremely similar, it's just the way they question you that's different. I love helping people with maths , so if you're struggling with anything, ask me because i'm borrreeed. :h:
Original post by Guy123
Using different exam boards does kind of help, it just gives you a wider range of questions to practise.

I only really need help in certain topics like histograms, transformations etc, but i've never actually done an exam board different to edexcel :lol:
yup, the specifications are extremely similar, it's just the way they question you that's different. I love helping people with maths , so if you're struggling with anything, ask me because i'm borrreeed. :h:

can i pm you some of the topics i struggle in? :tongue: and thank youu
Reply 17
Original post by munnaa
I only really need help in certain topics like histograms, transformations etc, but i've never actually done an exam board different to edexcel :lol:

Well, you should probably try some others and see what they're like. I don't really know because I've only ever done mocks from Edexcel and I've never done any other practise past papers, or any maths revision come to think of it :tongue: I guess maths has always been my thing :smile:
Otherwise, if you need any help on anything, feel free to ask me.
Original post by munnaa
can i pm you some of the topics i struggle in? :tongue: and thank youu

ofccccc , send away. I will explain in detail how to do them.
I did a further maths gcse; it's not as rare as you think. A number of people on TSR have done definitely done Further Maths as a GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest