Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Choosing Law School?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a Asian student and currently choosing for a Law school in UK to study in. My old man told me to go to UWE (Uni West England Bristol) as they have a BAR school there. So it would be sensible for me to pursuit my BVC there. I have been doing quite a lot of research on the net, but I am kind of new to all these Universities in UK and for sure the University’s website only shows positive comment.

I am seeking help/answer on whether UWE is a reputable university? Other suggestion for law school? Is there a better place to do the BVC other than in UWE? Pros and Cons? And any further advice is very much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cminhan)
    I am a Asian student and currently choosing for a Law school in UK to study in. My old man told me to go to UWE (Uni West England Bristol) as they have a BAR school there. So it would be sensible for me to pursuit my BVC there. I have been doing quite a lot of research on the net, but I am kind of new to all these Universities in UK and for sure the University’s website only shows positive comment.

I am seeking help/answer on whether UWE is a reputable university? Other suggestion for law school? Is there a better place to do the BVC other than in UWE? Pros and Cons? And any further advice is very much appreciated!!
    going to UWE is no guarantee that you will get on bvc as you have to apply online for the course and not directly to the school see www.legaleducation.org.uk

It is also very competitive to get on so you would have to aim for a first class honours degree.
    since you are an international student as myself I would recommend the unis with international rep and national prestige as well:

lse
    ucl
    warwick
    oxbridge
    kings
    the opinion of others differ but these are my choices...

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff Law School seems to be quite well thought of too...

http://www.cf.ac.uk/claws/

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that UWE is not an option for people would choose to do LLB? or it is not a good uni at all? I do not have a lot of choice as I have to choose to do a twinning program in my country first. E.g. the 1st and 2nd year in my own country and the 3rd year in UK, then to do BVC. I have looked at the option available to me; which is University of Sheffield, Cardiff and UWE.

Do it really matter which Uni i choose if i am wont be getting a job in the uk after graduation?

which route do you think is the best to achieve my goal?
    Please do advice me on this matter. Thanks a bunch!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that UWE is not an option for people would choose to do LLB? or it is not a good uni at all? I do not have a lot of choice as I have to choose to do a twinning program in my country first. E.g. the 1st and 2nd year in my own country and the 3rd year in UK, then to do BVC. I have looked at the option available to me; which is University of Sheffield, Cardiff and UWE.

Do it really matter which Uni i choose if i am wont be getting a job in the uk after graduation?

which route do you think is the best to achieve my goal?
    Please do advice me on this matter. Thanks a bunch!!
    at the end of the day, you have to choose a uni that is suitable to your situation. if your choices are the three above...you will be fine with anyone providing you work extremely hard, as I have stated b4 the bar is highly competitive.
    i would suggest that you have a look at the guardian and times uni league tables to see the ranking of the unis in the subject category...

why do you want to do the bar if you do not intend to practice in the UK?

ReputationRep:

Great law schools for LLB:

Oxbridge (actually have their own BA or law)
    LSE
    UCL
    KCL
    Bristol
    Durham
    Nottingham
    Warwick

I'm sure there are other good unis for LLB.....but i can't think of them offt he top of my head....the ones i've listed are good. In terms of international recongnition..i know oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL are known....not sure about the others...my knowledge is limited in this matter.

Erm....once you've got your LLB degree...then you apply for either the BVC or the LPC....as long as you've got a top degree from a good uni...then you've got a good chance at getting into a decent course for further 'training', it doesn't matter if you go to the same uni as you want to go into the BVC at all.

G

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on which college's within London are good for studying a law conversion courses. Anyway advise would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The most established English Law Schools (in no particular order):

Cambridge
    Oxford
    Nottingham
    Durham
    UCL
    LSE
    KCL
    Bristol

For international recognition, I'd go for Oxbridge, the University of London colleges (UCL, LSE, KCL) and Bristol.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.